PDA

View Full Version : I need a picture of fully smoked pink salmon

MR.uninformed
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
It's my first time smoking salmon and I got a couple pinks from the squamish river in the smoker right now, it's been smoking for about 5 hours and i'm not sure if it's done.

Whonnock Boy
08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
A picture won't tell you anything. Different smoker temperatures will give you different results on how it looks. I test it with touch just like a steak. The firmer it is, the dryer it is going to be. There is a bit of a knack to it. I like it done to a medium, to medium well for a more moist smoked salmon. Good luck....

Mikey Rafiki
08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Maybe post a pic if you can. I'm mobile right now so don't have any pics. You can always put it in a little longer later if you want to take a chunk out and try it. If the tail end is starting to dry out you should be good. There will also be beads of oil showing on the surface.

adriaticum
08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
http://www.milojko.com/fishing/20120923_195317.jpg

Ha,ha sweet dilemma to have.
This is smoked in a hot smoker.
Depending on what you have it will be different. This is very smokey alder.
Like the guys said picture won't give you the full story. There are many factors. Brine type, wood type, hot/cold, age of smoker etc.
Break a piece and try it.
Likey / no likey!

bighorn
08-20-2013, 07:19 PM
i take a little taste,i like mine medium rare

goatdancer
08-21-2013, 01:10 PM
It's my first time smoking salmon and I got a couple pinks from the squamish river in the smoker right now, it's been smoking for about 5 hours and i'm not sure if it's done.

I smoked a bunch of chum yesterday and it was done in 4 hours. Pinks should be less because they are a lot thinner, unless you want them really dry.

goatdancer
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.milojko.com/fishing/20120923_195317.jpg

Ha,ha sweet dilemma to have.
This is smoked in a hot smoker.
Depending on what you have it will be different. This is very smokey alder.
Like the guys said picture won't give you the full story. There are many factors. Brine type, wood type, hot/cold, age of smoker etc.
Break a piece and try it.
Likey / no likey!

What's with the green colour?

08-21-2013, 01:32 PM
ya dont look at that..... something was done different in that smoke....
I have never seen that kind of color on smoked fish.... that looks like is was done Indian Style like right beside the fire...

adriaticum
08-21-2013, 01:33 PM
What's with the green colour?

Not sure, that may be the lighting.

adriaticum
08-21-2013, 01:34 PM
ya dont look at that..... something was done different in that smoke....
I have never seen that kind of color on smoked fish.... that looks like is was done Indian Style like right beside the fire...

Yes sir, 20% green alder and done in a home made smoker.
It was good, slightly over smoked.

08-21-2013, 01:36 PM
http://honest-food.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/smoked-pink-salmon-600px.jpg

taken from Google... The color will depend on what kind of brine or cure you used.... The easiest way to tell if its done is eat some... Some people like it a bit more moist some people like it dryer...

adriaticum
08-21-2013, 01:37 PM
That was dry brine.

This is wet brine. But this is not pink.

http://www.milojko.com/fishing/smoked.jpg

adriaticum
08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
taken from Google... The color will depend on what kind of brine or cure you used.... The easiest way to tell if its done is eat some... Some people like it a bit more moist some people like it dryer...

Depends very much on the drying time before smoking.

08-21-2013, 01:40 PM
That explains it, i have cooked Salmon by a fire and it looked sorta like that.... I used only green alder... Flippen tasty

MR.uninformed
08-21-2013, 09:56 PM
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/misinformation3/20130820_1841571_zps758e5658.jpg

MR.uninformed
08-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Wet brine ( brown sugar, water, salt, maple syrup ), really old smoker (25+years old) that used to be my grandpas with no temperature control, couldn't get it very hot only about 130 f, smoking apple wood, we tasted it and it was delicious but not firm enough so we left it in for about 8 hours in the end, my dad kept worrying about the health risk so I told him to suck it up, and that's my first attempt at smoked salmon. salmon were caught by me in the Squamish river without waders (it sucked)

Whonnock Boy
08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
really old smoker (25+years old) that used to be my grandpas with no temperature control, couldn't get it very hot only about 130

Is it a Little Chief smoker by chance? I ask because when I use my LC, I put a blanket over top to get the temperature up. Just be sure to position the smoker a good distance from any building. :wink:

MR.uninformed
08-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Is it a Little Chief smoker by chance? I ask because when I use my LC, I put a blanket over top to get the temperature up. Just be sure to position the smoker a good distance from any building. :wink: its essentially identical to a little chief and I was thinking more along the lines of foam insulation of some sort, and yes the fireball would be quite spectacular

bigslim
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I use a LC and put a cardboard box around to insulate
Max 6 hrs smoking still sorta depends on outside temp.
dry brine 2 days in fridge
halfway through smoking wipe on honey
rotate racks also to get an even consistancy