PDA

View Full Version : Mentoring?

Tytalus
08-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi All!

I just got my hunting license, and other than my CORE course, am a total greenhorn. I was curious if anyone was willing to do some mentoring to show me the ropes on how to hunt? If it moves and is legal, I'm interested in hunting it. I live in Abbotsford BC. :)

Edited to add more detail:

This year I'll likely be buying the minimum gear for me. I do not own a quad or truck. I figure it's wise that I should go hunting with someone else before I start sinking $$ into the hobby just to make sure if it's something I will enjoy. I'm in decent shape, (5'7" and weigh 160lb). I'm 29 & lift weights, but should probably start doing more cardio.

adriaticum
08-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi All!

I just got my hunting license, and other than my CORE course, am a total greenhorn. I was curious if anyone was willing to do some mentoring to show me the ropes on how to hunt? If it moves and is legal, I'm interested in hunting it. I live in Abbotsford BC. :)

You might want to attend the BC Wildlife Federation's New Hunter Bootcamp.

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/

Tytalus
08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
You might want to attend the BC Wildlife Federation's New Hunter Bootcamp.

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/

Thanks for the recommendation, but I can't make that, prior commitments.

Fella
08-20-2013, 03:57 PM
While you're waiting for someone to take you out, I'd read up on the species you're interested in hunting and then just get out there into the woods and keep your eyes open. You might not see anything the first handful of times you're out there but if you keep your wits about you you'll learn a ton just by observing your surroundings. I'm so appreciative of the guys who have taken me out and passed on their knowledge but its so exciting to see something and being able to connect the dots to a particular animals behaviour.

Grumpa Joe
08-20-2013, 04:07 PM
There is a "Hunting Buddies" thread in here somewhere where you can give more information about yourself (age, fitness level, areas you'd like to hunt, resources that you have...) so that any prospective mentors know what they are facing if they reply.

fyffer
08-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Do u bow hunt ? And willing to come to the island.

ncurrie
08-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Welcome and congrats, hope you have a successful first year!

pnbrock
08-21-2013, 06:41 AM
how old are you and how much meat can you carry.?what game are you most interested in pursuing?

Weatherby Fan
08-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Welcome to HBC , congrats on passing your core,Lots of helpful and very knowledgable people on here.
Good luck this season
WF

Tytalus
08-21-2013, 09:00 AM
how old are you and how much meat can you carry.?what game are you most interested in pursuing?

I'm in decent shape, (5'7" and weigh 160lb). I'm 29 & lift weights, but should probably start doing more cardio. I'm most curious about bear, deer, elk or moose. I'm not exactly sure how much meat I could carry, but I know I've had about 50 to 70 lb backpacks before to move things and done fine. Probably just matters on how much for how long.

This year I'll likely be buying the minimum gear for me. I do not own a quad or truck. I figure it's wise that I should go hunting with someone else before I start sinking $$ into the hobby just to make sure if it's something I will enjoy.

Weatherby Fan
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Good idea about going with someone first.......just in case it's not for you
Just curious,
Do you have a rifle for ie-deer hunting ? or any gear ? daypack ? stuff like that ?

Tytalus
08-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Good idea about going with someone first.......just in case it's not for you
Just curious,
Do you have a rifle for ie-deer hunting ? or any gear ? daypack ? stuff like that ?

When I said I haven't bought anything, I really have bought nothing. Yes, that is embarrassing to admit. If I get an invite out I'm happy to discuss what I should be buying, as I have some idea of what is necessary, but not really a full clue yet.

Weatherby Fan
08-21-2013, 10:38 AM
When I said I haven't bought anything, I really have bought nothing. Yes, that is embarrassing to admit. If I get an invite out I'm happy to discuss what I should be buying, as I have some idea of what is necessary, but not really a full clue yet.

No nothing embarrassing about it all u have to start somewhere,I was just curious as to where your at that's all
Ill send you a PM
WF

Avalanche123
08-25-2013, 05:22 PM
If you lived in the Skeena area, I'd be more than happy to take you out. Nice to see someone so keen, which is far more important than what you have for gear, fitness, etc... Best of luck to you!