PDA

View Full Version : Bounty on wolves ?

leadpillproductions
08-19-2013, 06:59 PM
I was told there is a bounty on wolves 650.00 up here in the north any one heard that . I guess farmers are getting a bounty

.300WSMImpact!
08-19-2013, 07:11 PM
I wish they would bounty them across the province

Darksith
08-19-2013, 07:12 PM
That sounds like some serious rumor ville...not a chance you will get 650/wolf. I know that trappers get something for a wolf skull, and I suspect that GOABC has a bounty on wolves, but you gotta know someone kind of thing. Last I heard which was a couple years ago it was 100/skull

houndogger
08-19-2013, 07:12 PM
It's $750 each delivered to peta

Jelvis
08-19-2013, 07:24 PM
That's serious coin, ten times 750 = 7,500 Clams, where iz dis happening?

Darksith
08-19-2013, 08:12 PM
did u just do arithmetic jelvis? It aint happening...keep up ;)

REMINGTON JIM
08-19-2013, 08:36 PM
That's serious coin, ten times 750 = 7,500 Clams, where iz dis happening?

Kamloops area only Jel ! :wink: LOL RJ

adriaticum
08-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Sure there is a bounty, a hundred or so for a pelt if you know what you're doing.
One of the guys I follow on youtube traps beavers and coyotes and when I did some math with his help, he is making a pretty decent coin.
Here is the channel if anyone is interested

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPuxmoN5GsVG84BhIO3ScSA

t-rexer
08-19-2013, 08:59 PM
750 to PETA lol that's funny shit right there

Darksith
08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Sure there is a bounty, a hundred or so for a pelt if you know what you're doing.
One of the guys I follow on youtube traps beavers and coyotes and when I did some math with his help, he is making a pretty decent coin.
Here is the channel if anyone is interested

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPuxmoN5GsVG84BhIO3ScSA

probably not if you add in his time, fuel, other expenses...probably breaking even if hes lucky, unless he lives in a cabin in the sticks...although his skinning a coyote video was pretty impressive, but it doesn't take into account the handling time for the animal. Still impressive

adriaticum
08-19-2013, 09:05 PM
probably not if you add in his time, fuel, other expenses...probably breaking even if hes lucky, unless he lives in a cabin in the sticks...

Just check his channel out.
Trust me he is making a good coin.
He can skin a coyote in under 5 minutes,
Board and skin in under 20.
$100 for a pelt.
So you do the math.
I chatted with him about it.
He is probably on the high end of profitability.
A layman like me would take eons to skin a cat.

gcreek
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
You guys are a little behind.... Several Regional Districts have put up dollars for "assistance" in reducing wolf numbers in the Peace. The most I heard of was $500 but there may be one RD that is paying more. This program was active last winter and maybe previous to that.

Too bad MOE wouldn't ante up.

Darksith
08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Just check his channel out.
Trust me he is making a good coin.
He can skin a coyote in under 5 minutes,
Board and skin in under 20.
$100 for a pelt.
So you do the math.
I chatted with him about it.
He is probably on the high end of profitability.
A layman like me would take eons to skin a cat.

Pelt prices...not exact
Canadian Lynx- $50-$60

Coyote-

Pale prairie coyotes- $50-$60 Extra pale- $75-$85
The best northeastern and silky westerns $35 to $45 semi-heavy skins $25-$35

That's from the 2012 September issue of Fur Fish and Game in their fur market section.

If you give someone a 10 pelt average day, and it takes a day to set the traps, a day to pick up the animals, a day to skin, and a day to sell, once you take away all expenses of fuel, traps, bait, etc etc...its not that good money. Give him a 1000 for a round of trapping, but if it takes 4 days to deal with it all in total thats only 250/day before expenses, so not bad...but you aint getting rich

adriaticum
08-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Pelt prices...not exact
Canadian Lynx- $50-$60

Coyote-

That's from the 2012 September issue of Fur Fish and Game in their fur market section.

If you give someone a 10 pelt average day, and it takes a day to set the traps, a day to pick up the animals, a day to skin, and a day to sell, once you take away all expenses of fuel, traps, bait, etc etc...its not that good money. Give him a 1000 for a round of trapping, but if it takes 4 days to deal with it all in total thats only 250/day before expenses, so not bad...but you aint getting rich

He is in Saskatchewan I believe.
He gets more than what you are quoting.
He sold 8 coyotes for $1400 at some US auction. Some went for $700 a piece.
I'm not yanking your chain.
Just go here watch the video and read the comments. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H19j7tiy5Bg

Wild one
08-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Pelt prices...not exact
Canadian Lynx- $50-$60

Coyote-

Your prices are not current for current info on fur that is reliable look at the NAFA fur sales. Lynx around $150-$200 is more like it and coyote prices can be all over the place but I averaged around $75 on mine all semi heavy.

You can make a few $ but not going to rake it in and you will work for it. You are going to have good days and bad days. Also depends on how your fur is graded and a good portion of that depends on colour/prime you are not even going to come close to getting top price for all your fur.

As for $1400 coyotes yes if you get lucky enough to get top lot but realistically most good prairie coyotes went for $100-$150 last season if my memory is correct.

adriaticum
08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Your prices are not current for current info on fur that is reliable look at the NAFA fur sales. Lynx around $150-$200 is more like it and coyote prices can be all over the place but I averaged around $75 on mine all semi heavy.

You can make a few $ but not going to rake it in and you will work for it. You are going to have good days and bad days. Also depends on how your fur is graded and a good portion of that depends on colour/prime you are not even going to come close to getting top price for all your fur.

As for $1400 coyotes yes if you get lucky enough to get top lot but realistically most good prairie coyotes went for $100-$150 last season if my memory is correct.

8 coyotes for $1400 total.
The most Ryan got for one coyote was $700 from what I read.

Wild one
08-20-2013, 09:49 AM
8 coyotes for $1400 total.
The most Ryan got for one coyote was $700 from what I read.

I know who you are talking about but not personally and that was the winter Nafa sale and good coyote prices came from that sale

Just checked the prices of last sale in June and top lot was $640 US. Nafa most often gives the top prices when it comes to fur. If you want to know what any fur truly sells for you look at the averages of Nafa sales. Yes if everything goes in your favour you will get more. I can tell you a lot of times I do a little better than the average but I have been lucky enough to take a top lot or 2 each sale. Just like any auction it is a roll of the dice.

Trust me I know first hand the kind of money and work involved in trapping. It is not easy money and yes you get fast at putting up animals but you don't start that way

Sofa King
08-20-2013, 09:53 AM
I wish they would bounty them across the province

why's that?
are you having big problems with them where you are?

adriaticum
08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
I know who you are talking about but not personally and that was the winter Nafa sale and good coyote prices came from that sale

Just checked the prices of last sale in June and top lot was $640 US. Nafa most often gives the top prices when it comes to fur. If you want to know what any fur truly sells for you look at the averages of Nafa sales. Yes if everything goes in your favour you will get more. I can tell you a lot of times I do a little better than the average but I have been lucky enough to take a top lot or 2 each sale. Just like any auction it is a roll of the dice.

Trust me I know first hand the kind of money and work involved in trapping. It is not easy money and yes you get fast at putting up animals but you don't start that way

Yeah, it's no easy money. I'm glad there are people out there still doing it.

Darksith
08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Your prices are not current for current info

Thats all I was trying to say...its not a get rich quick or work for the winter and then take the rest of the year off and travel/party type of business. Its gonna be hard work, there are gonna be ups and downs, just like any other small business out there. Now the fact that you are doing something you could enjoy, spending it outdoors, and all that other stuff we on this website love definitely makes it appealing to us, but its still work, and probably doesn't net you much more than the rest of us Joe blows. A hobby that is gonna put big bucks in your pocket...probably not.

Abashai
08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Regarding the original topic... Last year I shot a wolf and was told that the Ranchers Assc. of BC was giving $100 for a cleaned up wolf skull. I tried to find out where to bring it in or who to talk to but didn't find it.
Does anybody have info or a link on this? It would be nice if one could potentially get something for a skull and perhaps a hide too.

.300WSMImpact!
08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
why's that?
are you having big problems with them where you are?

yes there is a problem in my area and many others

Phreddy
08-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I was talking to a rancher up in Quesnel and he said the local ranchers ass'n couldn't offer a bounty on wolves so decided to hold a contest for the biggest and most wolves shot. I like their thinking.

sheepsheen
08-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Trapping is still done as a living for lots of people.....
Did you look at Pine Marten prices?
you have an opinion and your entitled to it...just saying

Pelt prices...not exact
Canadian Lynx- $50-$60

Coyote-