PDA

View Full Version : Where are the season's first moose?

Cdn-Redneck
08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
I always look forward to Aug.15 and seeing the first moose of the season. So far no pics, what going on up north. There is usually a post by about 9:00am Aug 15. Good luck to those who are out.

Rob Chipman
08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Check here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?97960-Hunting-Report-2013-Chetwynd

Couple down anyway!

604redneck
08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
I believe alot of people are sick of getting scrutinized on this site, will be tough for me to post pics of animals on the ground this year........

sarg
08-19-2013, 09:24 PM
I believe alot of people are sick of getting scrutinized on this site, will be tough for me to post pics of animals on the ground this year........

isn't that the truth, it's up to the new guy on the site to post pics :) they don't know ant better yet.

Surrey Boy
08-19-2013, 09:34 PM
I've been working right up by Pink Mountain and there are hunters and camps set up everywhere! Haven't seen any moose yet, just a couple of wolves.

2tins
08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
"Scrutinized"? Who gives a shit if some clown with nothing better to do says something about harvested animals? That's the beauty of using a fake name, no one knows who you are.

Darksith
08-20-2013, 10:17 AM

thats why its up to us the people of the site to report and prevent negative comments. If we do this, the mods Im sure will delete, and punish the offenders accordingly. If we as a community of resident BC hunters cant be happy for each other then we might as well shut it all down. There are a lot of good people here, can't let a few douche bags ruin it for all.

Rackem
08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
thats why its up to us the people of the site to report and prevent negative comments. If we do this, the mods Im sure will delete, and punish the offenders accordingly. If we as a community of resident BC hunters cant be happy for each other then we might as well shut it all down. There are a lot of good people here, can't let a few douche bags ruin it for all.
Exactly my thoughts, otherwise, WTF? is the damn point, crop out the faces, don't tell locations other than generally, and no real names.

sawmill
08-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Ah hell,I`d post pics if I could ever get it figured out properly and to hell with the heckelers.They can kiss my buttocks.

Darksith
08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Ah hell,I`d post pics if I could ever get it figured out properly and to hell with the heckelers.They can kiss my buttocks.

its pretty easy. First you need to upload your pictures to a online site. I generally use www.tinypic.com It is owned or a sister site to photo bucket which they recommend on HBC. Click browse, select the picture, click resize and select message board then click upload...all you gotta do then is simply follow the next security step, then copy and past the image code for forums and then past it in the reply section of HBC, so simply ask someone for help and they will let you email them the pics and they will do it for you

Rackem
08-20-2013, 10:58 AM
If anyone has trouble posting images, I can either show them how or do it for them, whichever works

David
08-22-2013, 07:43 PM
I've been working right up by Pink Mountain and there are hunters and camps set up everywhere! Haven't seen any moose yet, just a couple of wolves.

Everywhere??? Camps are way down on the Cypress when I was in there - three total - probably because the early moose are all hunted out and/or poisoned out, but I'll save that rant for another day.

Me.

smasher
08-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Buddy went up to Tumbler Ridge and had his moose down in his first 20 mins.

Sitkaspruce
08-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Everywhere??? Camps are way down on the Cypress when I was in there - three total - probably because the early moose are all hunted out and/or poisoned out, but I'll save that rant for another day.

Me.

Not sure what an early moose is, is there a difference between early and middle and late moose??

Was back there last Friday, seen 3 moose, 2 bulls and a cow, none looked poisoned or shot out......but I was WALKING, not quading or driving around, which was what I saw everyone doing. It's amazing what you can see when you get off the machine and go for a walk.....too bad I was working, otherwise I would be enjoying moose.

Your right on one thing though, saw only 3 camps, but I was not looking for camps or hunters.

Cheers

SS

Surrey Boy
08-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Me.

Atick Creek, Suicide Trail, 132 Road, Jedney - Bubbles.

brutus
08-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Lmao,bush equals moose,road equals hunters gas workers logging trucks hunting camps

Rackem
08-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Buddy went up to Tumbler Ridge and had his moose down in his first 20 mins.

That must have been the one seen quartered in the back of a pickup by seven am on that road lol...

David
08-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Not sure what an early moose is, is there a difference between early and middle and late moose??

Note sure if you are being facetious or not - but yes there is. Early Moose tend to be "locals" and is before the rut (still in the felt). Middle moose are during the rut and doing a bit of wandering. Late moose are post-rut.

Was back there last Friday, seen 3 moose, 2 bulls and a cow, none looked poisoned or shot out......but I was WALKING, not quading or driving around, which was what I saw everyone doing. It's amazing what you can see when you get off the machine and go for a walk.....too bad I was working, otherwise I would be enjoying moose.

On the Cypress??? Down 143 Road???

The only workers I saw were driving water trucks or working on compressor stations - oh, and some guy driving a newish Jeep of all things. I quad in a bit and then walk - especially around licks, and the moose count was WAY down compared to 5 years ago, LOTS of dry cows, and LOTS of notices of spraying.

I'm not trying to be an ass - but I've been hunting that area for a lot of years and the early Moose population is way, way, way down. Not sure if it is over-hunting, the herbicides, wolf and bear (populations of both are up), or the work activity. I know during the rut, based on talking with friends and relatives, it's still good, but right now Pink Mountain/Cypress/Robertson/Spruce Mountain is not good during the opening. I did talk to a few people who said 15 miles either way is OK (Sikannini or 132 Road).

Me.

brutus
08-23-2013, 06:32 PM
dont hunt early moose myself friend of mine do with 100% kill every year,3 tags 3 moose last year,2 tags this years and one down already 7 more days to go pretty sure they will tag out again this year,lol they drive a newish jeep,they do not road hunt,they seen another bull yesterday but a litle to dark for shooting.i hit the area later in oct and call multiple bulls during my hunt,now finding a legal one is another story lots of small bulls ,not to many hunters in the area when i am in there.

Sitkaspruce
08-23-2013, 09:13 PM
One thing this year is that it has rained a friggin lot this summer, more like the coast than the usual NE. I am finding the food is lush, the animals are not moving much as the food is everywhere and they are holding tight to the bush.

As for working up there, I was in CP 326, off the 600rd. Tons of moose sign, some deer and a few elk. Saw both bulls in there, feeding in the back NE corner and the cow was up by the service rig in the burn.

Cheers

SS

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
08-23-2013, 10:09 PM
You hit the nail right on the head !

kennyg826
08-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Just got word 2 of 3 moose tags filled on early hunt. One dressed 400lbs and other was 500lbs. They put in many hours and saw few moose they said.

Piperdown
08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
PICTURES PLEASE! enough chit chat :)

kilometers
08-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Not mine but maybe it will stop the chit chat. a buddy got it in a fly in hunt. Undisclosed location http://i40.tinypic.com/v48h8h.jpg

kennyg826
08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Very Nice Bull

Rugersingle
08-27-2013, 10:44 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/photo402.JPG

Aug 25th near Fort Nelson in an old burn.....mmmm.. moose roast

hillclimber
08-28-2013, 07:58 PM
South of Dawson right now. Seen 1bull moose sat evening. Someone got one this morn around 9am. Seen 4 cows since sat. Lots of blackies and maybe 2 grizz this morn.

If anyone has any bull moose (or elk in a few days) tied up let me know via pm :mrgreen:

eric
08-28-2013, 08:55 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/2013-08-17_05_51_17.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=30184&title=2013-08-17-05-51-17&cat=500)Here's one for ya, dressed out at 610 lbs.
Got this guy on the 17th, East of FSJ

eric
08-28-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/2013-08-15_06_06_24.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=30185&title=2013-08-15-06-06-24&cat=500)And the little one,dressed out at 285 lbs
Taken on opening morning, 1 mile from the big guy.

moose2
08-29-2013, 10:15 AM
I was lucky enough to get mine about 10 minutes into opening day. Just haven't found time to post yet. It's a wet year and the moose have little reason to be active in day light. The few we did see were within 30 min of day break or in the dying minutes before dark
Mike

ElliotMoose
09-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Mike- I have found the same. Most of the activity has been right at first light when its still misty and then it really slows down after that until sundown. Lots of little water holes in the bush created this year making some of the usual spots less productive