PDA

View Full Version : East Stave Roadblock

ElectricDyck
08-18-2013, 12:43 PM
I thought I'd let anybody that's going up east stave that there is a roadblock and all guns are checked. I had no issues but when chatting the officer said they are on an education mission and claimed that they'd been catching a lot of people with ammo on their buttstock or on a strap attached to their rifle. I took issue with this and pulled out my printed transport rule set and asked for him to point that rule out. He claimed it was in their book.

They are confusing storage with transport. So they are on an uneducation mission :) Things were cordial but I told him I thought he was wrong and would love to see him prove it in writing and we were on our way....be warned.

ruger#1
08-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes, And they are going to be there all day. I wonder why they have a park ranger with them. It isn't a park.

ElectricDyck
08-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Davis Lake is a park and the boundaries extend almost all the way up to the main road if I recall....that's why I assumed he was there.

r106
08-18-2013, 01:08 PM
I can see this a possible good thing. That area needs enforcment and if it educates more cops on the ACTUAL transport regs then thats good.

Last time I checked only ammo inserted in the gun or in a magazine which is in the gun meet the definition of a loaded firearm. Ammo on the stock or sling is not a loaded firearm, you were right the cop was wrong

ruger#1
08-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Were they at the pavement ? Or at the pull out at Davis lake park? Their radios do not work to good back there. The people along Sylvester where everyone parks. Are tired of all the garbage , broken bottles and theft and are lobbying very hard to get that side into a full park. So we can thank the idiots. and we know they know who thay are for making the mess up there.

Steeleco
08-18-2013, 01:27 PM
I wonder how many people are getting stopped with pistols, you don't have to look far to find pistol brass. Anyone with a fridge or TV or other impromptu target caught today should be made to pack out 10 times what they wanted to pack in!!!!!!

ElectricDyck
08-18-2013, 01:29 PM
They were on pavement a few km for the gravel...they said they'd already turned around a few people with restricted firearms.

Steeleco
08-18-2013, 01:44 PM
They were on pavement a few km for the gravel...they said they'd already turned around a few people with restricted firearms.

Sorry Andrew, I clicked on edit not quote!!

This was my intent!!

Turned them around. That's utter BS. They'll just go elsewhere.

On one hand they dispute a rule about rounds attached to the gun which we all know is legal, yet on the other they send guys with restricted guns home with nothing? We all know Sylvester is a dead end road, there's no range or homestead up there that could possibly be listed on their ATT.

I respect the guys and girls that are in L/E but this is complete crap.

OK Rant over!!

ElectricDyck
08-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah I agree, as much as I don't agree with the restricted rules, they are what they are and heading to the bush is blatant disregard.....

ruger#1
08-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Steeleco knows where I shoot and how clean it is. There is disregard for everything up that end. At the station they keep calling it the wild west.

junkyard_g
08-18-2013, 02:52 PM
reminds me of the case when they confiscated guns in dawson creek for people having rifles in their front seat when on public roads on their way to go hunting.

TyTy
08-18-2013, 06:54 PM
i was working out the once and turned 3 parties around for shooting in my direction. no one checked the back stop.

on ***hole could see my truck, i ranged him at 399 meters and he was shooting at a 30 degree amgle from the truck.

there is so much trash up there from shooters. it should be a no shhoting zone. not a great fix, but i think its a safety hazard with the amount of lead flying around out there

ElectricDyck
08-18-2013, 07:06 PM
I agree with your assesment of the situation TyTy but I believe enforcement is better rather than a blanket ban. Frustrating to watch. Are littering fines not like $500? You could pay your salary from fines with a video camera and a little sneakiness. Laws are being broken are they unenforceable? Punish criminals.

By the way junkyard g I had my rifle in the driver"s seat beside me and there were no over reactions. Better experience than last time for sure even if the rcmp still do not have an accurate grasp of the current laws:)

ElectricDyck
08-18-2013, 07:07 PM
This has been posted before but a good idea to print out and put in your glove box.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

pnbrock
08-18-2013, 07:33 PM
was up sylvester on saturday for the first time and i could not believe my eyes.there was so much shot shells all over the place i felt ashamed for for the image of sportsmen in lower mainland .

Drillbit
08-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Lots of carbine rifles chambered in pistol calibers on the market.......

How about a T-bolt, can the mag that goes in the back of the stock be loaded and inserted into the butt-stock?

rides bike to work
08-18-2013, 08:52 PM
I went up there once there was a bunch of undesirables there shooting there hand guns and tactical guns from the hip so we turned around and one guy pointed his hand gun at us.
We called the cops.
They did nothing.

Steeleco
08-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I once watched 4 guys in law chairs watch a Chevy van burn. It was 5am one weekend in Sept and I was taking the kid for a short trip to get him into hunting. He was 8. The stop at the cop shop in Mission got me a promise of a tow truck. There was nothing they could do unless I'd seen them light the match.

I've been on 3 clean ups up there, the last being the biggest. During the provided lunch we all watched as a guy in an F350, trailer in tow, drove past the gathering area. He was full to the gunnels with drywall.

One day they'll gate the end of the road, then we'll all be locked out.

One Shot
08-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Some Park Rangers may be designated as Provicial Resource Officers who have Peace Officer designation and have the authority to enforce BC resource/environmental regulations including fishing and hunting regs.

Singleshotneeded
08-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Lol, does no one educate cops these days on the laws before sending them out?? Duh, ammo in your sling or butt stock carrier, or in a detachable magazine sitting on your console are all perfectly legal. The only thing they should be watching for is that people don't have rounds loaded in their actions...loaded guns in their vehicles. The thing they're doing that might be considered lenient and "nice" is they're not confiscating people's pistols and giving them nice fat tickets for attempting to take them to the bush to shoot them instead of to a licenced range as stated in their ATT. Some folks on here might think that overly lenient, that pistol shooters know better and should be nailed for trying to target shoot in the bush, but I think it's decent of them to cut some otherwise law abiding folks a bit of slack. Read the transport laws though guys, relating to non restricted firearms...:-)

Singleshotneeded
08-19-2013, 12:40 AM
was up sylvester on saturday for the first time and i could not believe my eyes.there was so much shot shells all over the place i felt ashamed for for the image of sportsmen in lower mainland .

Those aren't sportsmen, they're slobs and morons with guns. We need to make the difference between us and them clear to the public.

pnbrock
08-19-2013, 05:45 AM
i am fully aware of this but however we will get painted with the same brush!!

Abashai
08-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Was up there last Saturday and didn't see a roadblock... Mind you we were up there late afternoon. I'm glad too cause I had rounds on my stock for my rifle, and the hassle would have made the trip far less enjoyable. Thanks for the link to the RCMP storage and transport guidelines. I think I'm going to print off one to put with each of my guns.
Also there was another small group shooting near us and it was really nice to see them taking some extra time and really cleaning up the area around where they were shooting. Definitely cleaned up much more than their own mess.

jamfarm
08-19-2013, 08:58 AM
This has been posted before but a good idea to print out and put in your glove box.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

Maybe print a copy of the Firearms Act and put that in the truck too. Under 'OFFENCES', it's pretty straightforward.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96145_01

ElectricDyck
08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Maybe print a copy of the Firearms Act and put that in the truck too. Under 'OFFENCES', it's pretty straightforward.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96145_01

Yeah that says it pretty black and white, good one.

olympia
08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Yeah that says it pretty black and white, good one.i checked out the link you posted, under offences it says you cant have ammunition in a firearms magzine if you are in a vehicle,railcar,bicycle,sleigh etc. but no where does it specify you can have or not ammo in a magzine if it is detached from the gun and sitting beside it, so what is it? technically they can probably give you shit if you have a loaded mag sitting beside your .303 in your trunk, am i right?

r106
08-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Techincally speaking I believe a magazine cannot be removed from a firearm, a clip (such as the 10 round "magazine" you take out of your 303) can be and can remain loaded as long as it is not in direct contact with the firearm while during transport. Take my word for it I read it on the internet.

No. Magazine holds the ammo in the firearm ether its fixed or removable doesn't matter. A clip holds ammo that can be inserted into the magazine ( striprer clip for an SKS ). You can load a detachable enfield magazine with a clip. It is my understanding that you can have a loaded magazine as long as it's detached from the rifle

caddisguy
08-20-2013, 02:09 PM
i checked out the link you posted, under offences it says you cant have ammunition in a firearms magzine if you are in a vehicle,railcar,bicycle,sleigh etc. but no where does it specify you can have or not ammo in a magzine if it is detached from the gun and sitting beside it, so what is it? technically they can probably give you shit if you have a loaded mag sitting beside your .303 in your trunk, am i right?

My understanding of the law is that if you want, you can cruise around with your non-restricted rifle and a detached loaded magazine laying on your dash, as long as it is not inserted or even partially inserted. I imagine most road hunters prefer having the rifle and loaded mag on the dash ready to go.

However, my experience is that some LEO's do not have a full understanding of transportation laws, have their own interpretations or might even begin citing storage laws rather than transport. I once had a CO looking around in my truck "just to make sure the guns were unloaded" get excited after finding an empty "unpinned" 25 round 22LR mag. He said that he was not where there is no capacity limit for rimfire. I was given the benefit of the doubt in that case.

With things like stock covers holding rounds or loaded magazines near your rifle, though you may be legally in the right, being legally right does not necessarily prevent legal problems or other hassle. One may still runn into seizures or charges which may be dropped later or have to go all the way to a judge before it can be made right. I haven't heard of anything this extreme happening, but clearly folks are being warned about not being in compliance when they clearly are.

I do think there have been some charges against people for gray areas. We all know that shooting from a motor vehicle is illegal. However, it has been argued that resting elbows on the hood/tailgate of a vehicle, leaning against a vehicle while shooting or even loading a firearm counts as shooting from a vehicle or loading a firearm where it can not be legally discharged. This can also lead to major trouble.

Obviously none of this should be taken as legal advice. I'm human and capable of making mistakes. I usually error on the side of caution. I just keep mine in the back and don't have loaded magazines laying around.

Gateholio
08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Unless the ammo is inserted into the reciever of the firearm-whether it's in a fixed magazine, detachable magazine or clip does not matter- then it's legal for transport.

warnniklz
08-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Maybe more firearms owners should cruise around with rounds in their buttstock shell holders and create some awareness... Just sayin

squamishhunter
08-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Maybe more firearms owners should cruise around with rounds in their buttstock shell holders and create some awareness... Just sayin

That's how I always roll. Never get stopped for some reason haha. Although I probably just jinxed myself....

CDB
09-11-2013, 09:49 PM
I live on Sylvester and go up the moutain often and always see shit heads doing thing they shouldn't . The other day we found two 20lb propane tanks floating near shore with holes from some dum ass shooting them at the lake. After seeing how fast the Forrest is getting destroyed they need to police it better and have a ranger writing tickets and reporting liesence plates to the police or gate it, sucks but that's the only way they will stop the chaos.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
09-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I feel a good solution to littering in the bush could be to create a sliding scale fine system based on income/wealth. This would make it so no one would be too rich to trash our wild places. By the looks of things, it seems many are not deterred by the chance of being subject to the current fines.

I simply can not understand how people can be so disrespectful! Hearing about things like this never fails to sadden me.

burger
09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
I feel a good solution to littering in the bush could be to create a sliding scale fine system based on income/wealth. This would make it so no one would be too rich to trash our wild places. By the looks of things, it seems many are not deterred by the chance of being subject to the current fines.

I simply can not understand how people can be so disrespectful! Hearing about things like this never fails to sadden me.

So wealthier people should get larger fines?? Just make the fines huge for everyone. Who gives a $hit what your T4 says, your a litter bug and should pay!!!

I say straight up 1000 bucks for first offence and doubles each subsequent time. Would really curb the pigs

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
09-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I was thinking of prohibitive fines.

60% of gross income would be a fine start, no limits on how high it could go.

ElectricDyck
09-12-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm curious when the last littering fine was handed out and what it would actually take to convict someone of it. I know I could effortlessly catch people/license plates on video up sylvestor if I were to dedicate a day to it. But would it even do anything?

HarryToolips
09-12-2013, 09:18 PM
So wealthier people should get larger fines?? Just make the fines huge for everyone. Who gives a $hit what your T4 says, your a litter bug and should pay!!!

I say straight up 1000 bucks for first offence and doubles each subsequent time. Would really curb the pigs
Sounds like a good plan

cascades
09-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I heard from gov officials Stave Lake has it fair share of SxxT Rats. Here is an RCMP Fact sheet http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

ruger#1
09-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I heard from gov officials Stave Lake has it fair share of SxxT Rats. Here is an RCMP Fact sheet http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm
Yes they are in an abundance on both sides of stave lake.

Cami
09-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Yeah its funny
I was out on the weekend up Squamish river and on the way in at around 9 pm on sat 5 RCMP cars past me. The funny thing was that they had tape over there license plates on all the cars - What's that all about ?????????
and then on Sunday on the way out i pasted them driving back in there late at night.
Good that they didn't stop me because i keep ammo always on the butt strap wonder what they would say about my steyr scout with the 2nd mag storage in the stock.