PDA

View Full Version : Radioactive salmon?

andrewscag
08-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Has anyone heard any credible reports of how radioactive this years salmon are? Japan has been spewing contaminated water since the accident and its got to go somewhere.

coach
08-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Has anyone heard any credible reports of how radioactive this years salmon are? Japan has been spewing contaminated water since the accident and its got to go somewhere.

I've read several "glowing" reports about how tasty they are.

SAVAGEONE
08-17-2013, 10:14 PM

POSITIVE!!! No need to go pitlamping, they glow!!!!

Surrey Boy
08-17-2013, 11:02 PM
I heard drugs cause paranoia.

BimmerBob
08-17-2013, 11:52 PM
I heard they make really good sashimi, no need to refrigerate them at all...

adriaticum
08-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Don't forget to mention how expensive they are.
$10 /lb for red spring
$8 / lb for sockeye

Frango
08-18-2013, 08:03 AM
It's been such a good year our freezer is full and the best part it glows so no need for an interior light.

andrewscag
08-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not too worried about it. But radiation can bio accumulate in predator species so I figure its worth keeping tabs on. And I don't really trust DFO to do that. Or release the info if they do.

I can confirm that they're tasty. Make for a nice romantic dinner too. No need for candles.

Surrey Boy
08-18-2013, 08:16 PM
The age-old heavy metals are still the primary concern as far as I know.

Legi0n
08-18-2013, 08:55 PM
heavy metal(s) rock(s) :mrgreen:
I have a few stiffs in the freezer and they're upset for being refused as reactor fuel.

Aheny
08-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Surrey Boy has it right, I wouldnt be eating any salmon that swim around the North of Japan, but even the Southern end wouldnt be an issue. As the old saying goes, the solution to pollution is dilution.

Mercury and other heavy metals, while not a major issue in salmon, would be in much more harmful concentrations than any radioactive material

andrewscag
08-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the input guys

@ Aheny. I'd say the solution is reduce the pollution, but I get your point ;-)

drakfero
12-04-2013, 01:21 PM
http://dreamhealer.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/the-radiation-warnings-you-wont-get-from-the-mainstream-propaganda-machine/

markt308
12-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I can tell you one interesting thing. My family owns a cabin on Keats island in Howe Sound and we typically have hundreds of healthy starfish on our beach, bright purple and some are kinda orange. For whatever reason, now they are all green and mushy. They seem to be dead. Very strange. I'm not a marine biologist like Geroge Kastanza so I can't tell you why it's happened, only that it has. I know some locals in that area are extremely intense about the damage ***ashima has caused to our coast.

markt308
12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Haha it beeped out Fuhk- Ashima

Chopper
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
All my friends are raving about the radiation

The jet stream travels dead center through the middle of B.C ... so what difference does it make ? unless you are planning on leaving B.C you cant hide from it. It is what it is ... Tasty sockeye for me !

Move to another part of the world ... something else will kill you over there

RINO
12-04-2013, 03:09 PM
All my friends are raving about the radiation

The jet stream travels dead center through the middle of B.C ... so what difference does it make ? unless you are planning on leaving B.C you cant hide from it. It is what it is ... Tasty sockeye for me !

One positive aspect to this whole scenario is the Zombies will "Glow in the Dark" making for easy targets!!

Gateholio
12-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I can tell you one interesting thing. My family owns a cabin on Keats island in Howe Sound and we typically have hundreds of healthy starfish on our beach, bright purple and some are kinda orange. For whatever reason, now they are all green and mushy. They seem to be dead. Very strange. I'm not a marine biologist like Geroge Kastanza so I can't tell you why it's happened, only that it has. I know some locals in that area are extremely intense about the damage ***ashima has caused to our coast.

Last I read, the cause if the starfish die off was undetermined but thought to be a disease, not radiation ?

markt308
12-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Last I read, the cause if the starfish die off was undetermined but thought to be a disease, not radiation ?

Ya I'm not too sure Gate! Was just an interesting observation I thought.

solo
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Re: Radioactive salmon?
http://dreamhealer.wordpress.com/201...ganda-machine/

It only took a few minutes of reading to discover that the scientists and doctors cited in the above article were all misquoted, and their research rewritten to suit the agenda of the authors. Scare me with some facts, not this drivel.

andrewscag
12-04-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm going with this. And eating salmon

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=radioactive-water-leaks-from-***ushima

Sofa King
12-05-2013, 12:25 AM
but those starfish were green.:shock:

andrewscag
12-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Probably just a touch of bird flu

HarryToolips
12-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Sooner the world nukes China and Japan and rids us of their terrible uncare for the world we live in the better

stonepoint
12-06-2013, 06:27 PM

It could be this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_wasting_disease

It is interesting that there is a chronic wasting disease that is hitting North America's deer too.

But if you want something to take your mind off the 5,000 km away Fuu-key-shee-ma problem, just look 500 km south of the border;
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/18/21482804-hanford-nuclear-site-clean-up-the-mess-gets-worse

Sofa King
12-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Sooner the world nukes China and Japan and rids us of their terrible uncare for the world we live in the better

not sure someone suggesting two ethnic groups should be nuked from existence should be condoned on here.

IronNoggin
12-09-2013, 01:19 PM
One of the better, more balanced articles I have read on this issue: http://deepseanews.com/2013/11/true-facts-about-ocean-radiation-and-the-***ushima-disaster/

Looks like we will be OK. Japan... Not So Much...

Cheers,
Nog

andrewscag
12-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Yeah I caught that article too Ironnoggin, good one. Shame that you have to dig a bit to get decent information but fear mongering splashed across the front page.

Sofa King
12-12-2013, 03:58 PM
i think it's pretty naïve for anyone to just think that there's been no impact.
this was right on the water, pouring straight into the ocean.
not like Chernobyl, where it was relatively remote by comparison.
I listened to a program the other day about how it's basically criminal how the media is just ignoring this and acting like everything is peachy-keen.
it was saying that there's no technology that we have that can stop the effects of what is "still" happening over there.

I'll still continue my catch-and-release.

andrewscag
12-12-2013, 07:55 PM
From the few articles I've read, it seems the truth is between "everything's radioactive now everywhere run for your life" and "nothing to see here" at least for us in N America. Its catastrophic for sure, but those graphs showing "radioactive" effluent reaching here from Japan aren't accurate either. They're not even graphs of radioactivity. And on the other hand the cleanup methods and risks involved scare the crap out of me. Pulling the cores out is basically the claw game? This is the best you can come up with???

There are a lot of good things about nuclear power but the drawbacks should be deal breakers. Best case scenario you have waste that has to be contained practically forever. Worst case, we're all dead. Why do these things keep getting built?