PDA

View Full Version : School me on bow hunting

kilometers
08-16-2013, 08:13 PM
So it's my first year bow hunting. i plan on going out for the local bow only september 1 mainly for moose but their is deer in one of my areas i hunt And I got some questions or lookin for advice. I know practise practise and i am confident at 30 yards all day. And workin the 50 but doubt I will take a long shot

whats your longest kill shot yardage?
where is your comfort zone ?

Shooting outta a tree say 15 feet up. Do you aim low like a rifle? Or is the distance to short.?
i have been practising shooting down my stairs seems a .5 - 1 inch lower ? But I'm only 10?feet up and 10 yards

i was shooting a 3 blade fixed broad head and was set on it ( my dad took a xbow moose with one) But I like some of the wounds I have seen by the 2 blade mechanicals. Is it worth all the hype? Do they really fly like a field point? This might be nice for a newbie

Mechanicals ok ? for black bear?
Do you pack a gun?
Any general tips. ?

My dad is probly more stoked then me but im just happy for the week off and some nice swamp time.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2s7b5fc.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/s0y3xg.jpg

Kudu
08-16-2013, 08:26 PM
So it's my first year bow hunting. i plan on going out for the local bow only september 1 mainly for moose but their is deer in one of my areas i hunt And I got some questions or lookin for advice. I know practise practise and i am confident at 30 yards all day. And workin the 50 but doubt I will take a long shot

whats your longest kill shot yardage?
where is your comfort zone ?

Shooting outta a tree say 15 feet up. Do you aim low like a rifle? Or is the distance to short.?
i have been practising shooting down my stairs seems a .5 - 1 inch lower ? But I'm only 10?feet up and 10 yards

i was shooting a 3 blade fixed broad head and was set on it ( my dad took a xbow moose with one) But I like some of the wounds I have seen by the 2 blade mechanicals. Is it worth all the hype? Do they really fly like a field point? This might be nice for a newbie

Mechanicals ok ? for black bear?
Do you pack a gun?
Any general tips. ?

My dad is probly more stoked then me but im just happy for the week off and some nice swamp time.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2s7b5fc.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/s0y3xg.jpg

Buy a book and do your homework - or go with someone that's experienced - bow hunting takes a little more effort than rifle hunting!

kilometers
08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Ouch buddy I was going to say friendly fellow HBCers. And im using it for more of a scouting for rifle.

I have done lots of homework ! Read books? It's called google you fool. You can watch all the YouTube videos you want and read all and everyone's opinion from 200? To present. Their just seems to be some smart people on here with up to date knowledge. It's called a forum
You didn't have to post.

I bought the bow in December so I could practise all year

hunter1993ap
08-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Ouch buddy I was going to say friendly fellow HBCers. And im using it for more of a scouting for rifle.

I have done lots of homework ! Read books? It's called google you fool. You can watch all the YouTube videos you want and read all and everyone's opinion from 200? To present. Their just seems to be some smart people on here with up to date knowledge. It's called a forum
You didn't have to post.

I bought the bow in December so I could practise all year

you'll do fine, sometimes trial and error is the best way to go about things. you don't need to think your a pro before you go out, just learn on the fly and have fun. I bow hunt almost exactly the same as I do with a rifle, find some thick nasty timber and go slow. its way more challenging with a bow but the premise is still the same. I prefer to use a fixed broadhead but have also used mechanicals as a spare. if your bow isn't tuned perfectly fixed heads don't fly well. experiment with your bow for close range shots using say your forty yard pin at five yards but the distance is so close it really doesn't matter. I have packed a shotgun in grizz country but never when i'm not in grizz country. I love bow hunting because there is way less pressure. I set my max range at about 40 yards which is plenty sometimes but you have to work hard to get in close.

E.V.B.H.
08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Bowhunting is awesome, you are in for a good time. I would stick with the fixed blade, especially for moose. Mechanicals can suffer from penetration issues. From you picture I can see a form flaw. You want to bend at the waist instead of dropping your front shoulder. It feels a little awkward at first, but draw level, find your anchor points and then holding your form bend at the waist until you are aiming at your target.

TheProvider
08-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Don't worry about how far others shoot out too. Shoot to whatever your comfortable with. Mechanicals can work fine for moose and bear. Do not believe the package that they fly like field points. You have to make sure that they do. Practice with your broadheads.

Abashai
08-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Don't worry about how far others shoot out too. Shoot to whatever your comfortable with. Mechanicals can work fine for moose and bear. Do not believe the package that they fly like field points. You have to make sure that they do. Practice with your broadheads.

X2 on mechanical impact point. I thought I had my bow sighted in then shot a mechanical broadhead a couple times and found it to impact consistently high and left. Went back and started to paper tune and then walk back tune and when I got satisfactory results I re sighted in then shot the broadhead and the point of impact was much closer. One thing I seem to have gathered for hunting is that you don't really have to get too carried away with tuning every little thing and be shooting groups of "arrows touching". That's cool and I continue to practice towards that goal but just make sure you can consistently hit small killzone groups at your longest comfortable range, then just get out there and enjoy the great outdoors!

J_T
08-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Some general thoughts:
>bowhunting is more an apprenticeship and takes time. Hook on to a good mentor and learn what you can,
>in the photo, my preference would be, to lean into your shot, like a killer, not leaning back, like a target archer >learn, when not to shoot. It doesn't take very many unrecovered animals to undermine your confidence, and make you understand body position and effective range,
>Know that an animal "can" and will move in the less than one second your arrow takes to get there (keep your shots close)
> to now that the more moving parts the more something can be inconsistent. Stick with one piece steal heads. G5 Montecs have the blessing of most bbow hunters
>you will need to blood trail at some point, an LED flashlight does not follow blood. Make sure you are prepared

Ron.C
08-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Kilometers, you mentioned point of aim. I like to look at where I want the arrow will exit and let that determine my point of aim should be. And in some cases, this will be when you realize the game is not at a great shot angle and is one you should pass on. Sure, if the game is at eye level, broadside or slightly quartering away its not hard to figure out where to aim. But if that deer is 10 feet from the base of the tree you are in, it makes a difference. And it will help guide you on how high of a point to aim at to ensure your arrow hits more then one of the vitals.

The Hermit
08-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Been bowhunting for only 8 years mostly with a longbow so take the following for what it is - one semi-newbie's humble opinion. Now to answer your specific questions plus a couple other questions/answers that you might find helpful...

Whats your longest kill shot yardage? = 25 yards with longbow on a deer, 30 yards with compound on a deer

Would you take the above shots again? Why or Why Not? = No, see below

Whats your closest kill shot yardage? = 10 yards with longbow on a black bear

Whats your closest miss? = 15 yards with longbow x3 - as J_T said game animals CAN and WILL OFTEN move, arrow touched unseen branch.

Where is your comfort zone? = 12 - 15 yards with longbow, 25 with compound.

Mechanicals ok ? for black bear? = For me one piece cut on contact fixed blades only. (G5 Montec) I've had replaceable blade broads break apart on a small deer's ribs and know a guy that shoots Rage Mechanicals that has had a number of them break apart on deer. He likes them because of the wound size...

Do you pack a gun? = Only in grizz country

Any general tips. ?
If possible go to a 3-D shoot or at least go for a walk in the trees with your bow and do some stump shooting with blunts or judo points. It sounds pretty obvious but shooting in hunting terrain and under hunting like conditions is way different than on a nice level lawn or down your stairs. When I first got started I practiced at about 25 yards with my trad bow in the back yard and felt confident, then went to a 3-D and realized that everything changed and that I had and still have lots of learning to do. Practice from kneeling, sitting, and any awkward position you can think of. Shoot around trees, pick difficult shot windows thru the branches and tree trunks etc.

Remember to wait at least 30 min and if your shot placement wasn't ideal (eg in the boiler room broadside) then at least an hour before starting to look for your trophy. Otherwise it is highly likely that it will jump up and run to the next county never to be found again! If you have a dog or a good tracker finding your downed game will be much easier. Blood trailing bear can be very hard because they tend to quickly coagulate and clot up in the long hair. Look at your arrow closely and determine the probable kind of wound from the colour, any green gut, and or beautiful frothy bubbly blood? Use kleenex or TP to dab at everything that looks like blood and mark every drop with a piece because when the blood runs out you might be able to discern a general travel path. It can take a very long time indeed... days sometimes. :-( Which is why ethical bowhunters know to keep their shots on live game to well within their "real" competence level ... just because you can hit a stationary target with dayglow dots on it at forty yards doesn't mean you are competent at 20 yards in the last minutes of daylight - keep in mind tracking at night is way more challenging and can be impossible in the rain.

Shot Placement - You probably know this but it is worth repeating... the only shots bowhunters should take are broadside and slightly quartering away shots. Others may try to argue that front on shots, Texas heart shots, head shots etc are lethal and may even brag about their prowess and experience in killing animals with such shots. Best practices gained from decades of experience over generations of hunters indicate that these low percentage shots are best not taken. Nothing other than poaching pisses me off more than watching Wild TV jerk off heros taking 80 yard shots on live game. IMO our quarry deserves much more respect. I love bowhunting because it is a real challenge to get in close to execute a shot with full confidence that the animal will die quickly with little pain and suffering. It doesn't always work out but that is my goal every time I loose an arrow. Last year I shot at s WT buck at about 15 yards and ticked a branch sending my arrow through the deer a little far back. We gave it about an hour before starting to track it bumped him and had to back out. Went back three hours later and bumped him again but he was really on his way out and struggling to stand... my partner managed to jump on it and nearly decapitate it with his huge friggin knife! You wouldn't believe the mess hahahaha. It was a great tasting deer but the moral of the story is to do everything you can to ensure this doesn't happen to you, or your partner! Thanks again Colsey.

Jehiah
08-17-2013, 09:23 AM
You'll be fine!
Distance calculation is HUGE with archery. with modern bows you are pretty safe out to 30meters but beyond that every meter makes a difference due to the trajectory drop.

Get a range finder or SERIOUSLY practice estimating ranges in the bush. I find im pretty decent at eyeballing ranges out to 40meters after a few years of doing it but beyond that and it gets hairy; I dont look at the target and guess, I count the ground distance up to the target so that target size does not distort the perception.

J-T is right on about your "treestand/Stairs" posture. To ensure identical anchor points you are best off drawing and anchoring at level then leaning to the shot with the pivot point at your waist. This works up or downhill.

The angle of your shot will SHORTEN the distance. Again, if you count the ground distance from your tree to the animal youll be fine.

Hope this helps.

kilometers
08-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. Some great info here!!!

I never even thought about bending at the waist when shooting down or up!
lots to think about

im heading out with my dad and bro 2moro early in the morning scouting for moose. We are going to bring the bows and 3 targets and shoot arrows all day at different angles and yardage , well sitting on the ridge.
Im goin to wear all my hunting gear including back pack I have yet to practise like this.

Not finding a wounded animal is a fear of mine I don't want to experience. I just hope I can hold the adrenaline back and stop the shakes long enough to feel confident in the shot.

I stumbled upon a cow moose last nov well deer rifle hunting at 15 yards. I was pumped. What a rush, And when she finally took off their was another big one behind her but i couldn't see it. Could of been a bull. Closest encounter with a moose I have had

HarryToolips
08-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Been bowhunting for only 8 years mostly with a longbow so take the following for what it is - one semi-newbie's humble opinion. Now to answer your specific questions plus a couple other questions/answers that you might find helpful...

Whats your longest kill shot yardage? = 25 yards with longbow on a deer, 30 yards with compound on a deer

Would you take the above shots again? Why or Why Not? = No, see below

Whats your closest kill shot yardage? = 10 yards with longbow on a black bear

Whats your closest miss? = 15 yards with longbow x3 - as J_T said game animals CAN and WILL OFTEN move, arrow touched unseen branch.

Where is your comfort zone? = 12 - 15 yards with longbow, 25 with compound.

Mechanicals ok ? for black bear? = For me one piece cut on contact fixed blades only. (G5 Montec) I've had replaceable blade broads break apart on a small deer's ribs and know a guy that shoots Rage Mechanicals that has had a number of them break apart on deer. He likes them because of the wound size...

Do you pack a gun? = Only in grizz country

Any general tips. ?
If possible go to a 3-D shoot or at least go for a walk in the trees with your bow and do some stump shooting with blunts or judo points. It sounds pretty obvious but shooting in hunting terrain and under hunting like conditions is way different than on a nice level lawn or down your stairs. When I first got started I practiced at about 25 yards with my trad bow in the back yard and felt confident, then went to a 3-D and realized that everything changed and that I had and still have lots of learning to do. Practice from kneeling, sitting, and any awkward position you can think of. Shoot around trees, pick difficult shot windows thru the branches and tree trunks etc.

Remember to wait at least 30 min and if your shot placement wasn't ideal (eg in the boiler room broadside) then at least an hour before starting to look for your trophy. Otherwise it is highly likely that it will jump up and run to the next county never to be found again! If you have a dog or a good tracker finding your downed game will be much easier. Blood trailing bear can be very hard because they tend to quickly coagulate and clot up in the long hair. Look at your arrow closely and determine the probable kind of wound from the colour, any green gut, and or beautiful frothy bubbly blood? Use kleenex or TP to dab at everything that looks like blood and mark every drop with a piece because when the blood runs out you might be able to discern a general travel path. It can take a very long time indeed... days sometimes. :-( Which is why ethical bowhunters know to keep their shots on live game to well within their "real" competence level ... just because you can hit a stationary target with dayglow dots on it at forty yards doesn't mean you are competent at 20 yards in the last minutes of daylight - keep in mind tracking at night is way more challenging and can be impossible in the rain.

Shot Placement - You probably know this but it is worth repeating... the only shots bowhunters should take are broadside and slightly quartering away shots. Others may try to argue that front on shots, Texas heart shots, head shots etc are lethal and may even brag about their prowess and experience in killing animals with such shots. Best practices gained from decades of experience over generations of hunters indicate that these low percentage shots are best not taken. Nothing other than poaching pisses me off more than watching Wild TV jerk off heros taking 80 yard shots on live game. IMO our quarry deserves much more respect. I love bowhunting because it is a real challenge to get in close to execute a shot with full confidence that the animal will die quickly with little pain and suffering. It doesn't always work out but that is my goal every time I loose an arrow. Last year I shot at s WT buck at about 15 yards and ticked a branch sending my arrow through the deer a little far back. We gave it about an hour before starting to track it bumped him and had to back out. Went back three hours later and bumped him again but he was really on his way out and struggling to stand... my partner managed to jump on it and nearly decapitate it with his huge friggin knife! You wouldn't believe the mess hahahaha. It was a great tasting deer but the moral of the story is to do everything you can to ensure this doesn't happen to you, or your partner! Thanks again Colsey.
Every hunter who cares and respects the game we all love should follow the hermits ideas here..I learned that deer move in that split second last year while shooting for a muly buck..I trailed him in the dark for 4 hours, I'm pretty sure he lived cause he got up after 4 hours and ran like a bat out of hell with no signs of a vitals or paunch hit..still I felt terrible..

J_T
08-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys. Some great info here!!!

Not finding a wounded animal is a fear of mine I don't want to experience. I just hope I can hold the adrenaline back and stop the shakes long enough to feel confident in the shot.
If you bowhunt, you will have the unrecovered animal experience at some point. No different than with a rifle. Statistically there are a lot less animals that won't recover from the wound of an arrow. If you don't kill it, they will often survive.

hunter1993ap
08-17-2013, 05:12 PM
If you bowhunt, you will have the unrecovered animal experience at some point. No different than with a rifle. Statistically there are a lot less animals that won't recover from the wound of an arrow. If you don't kill it, they will often survive.

yes your right, I killed a whitetail a couple years ago with a mechanical broadhead in its shoulder. had a slight limp but wasn't really affecting it.

Stéphane
08-18-2013, 08:28 AM
you're already a hunter, so you have that experience that won't change. You will be VERY close to animals, that in itself is the most amazing part of bow hunting. Noise is a big deal with whitetail (as with other species I'm sure) as I figured out last year. Since you're so close, being extremely quiet is paramount: arrows sliding on your rest, jacket being crunchy. . . I am learning. Best of luck!