PDA

View Full Version : Severe Thunderstorm Warnings

Jagermeister
08-16-2013, 05:59 PM
The guys (and gals) hunting the moutaintops for stones in Northern BC will not be having a merry time of it with the current weather situations. There are severe thunderstorm warnings from Williams Lake clear through to Tetsa River/Fort Nelson.
Sure could put a strain on your sphincter if you're hunkered down on a mountaintop with it popping and snorting all around you.

2chodi
08-16-2013, 06:05 PM
That's definitely been the case around Fort St. John – we've been getting a quick blast almost every day. It rained so hard this afternoon that some streets and building were flooded. 10 minutes of hard rain then clear skies again.

kootenayelkslayer
08-16-2013, 06:09 PM
At the risk of sounding like a p*ssy, lightning scares me more than anything when hunting in the mountains.

ol490
08-16-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm a tremendous p*ssy when it comes to lightning so don't worry kootenayelkslayer. My wife makes fun of me about it......

solo
08-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Nothing like being in a tent with metal poles, and using your ice axes for stakes when the lightning starts bouncing off the hills!

The Silent Stalker
08-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Can't say I would want to be inside a tent up there with the bolts flying. Had lightning hit a car I was only 15ft from, %$#%^ that!

Angus
08-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Jeez, we had two beauties roll through FSJ today. One around 2:30pm and the other around 8pm. Our power just came back on following the 8pm downpour.

You folks in your sheep and early moose camps, keep the guy lines tight tonight.

hunter1993ap
08-16-2013, 09:17 PM
man I love hearing the thunder echo through the peaks, might suck being hunkered down getting poured on but the thunder is pretty neat!

08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
One of these wicked Storms only helped to make my 1st Stone Ram kill all that more special ......... scared the livin SHITE outa ya ....... made ya wanna throw down your shootin iron and run as far away from it as ya could ......... also Watched 2 dudes that had horse pack in with a Ram down near a small peak have a strike within a couple hundred yards come down near them ..... told them days later..... they had no idea ....... it was a very COOL experience. Soaked to the arse, shite eatin grin on our faces with a Curlytop down!! Electrical storms are a very cool experience.

CT

Jagermeister
08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
have a strike within a couple hundred yards come down near them ..... told them days later..... they had no idea .......No idea? Crap, at that distance, they shoulda felt the sizzle.

Andrewh
08-16-2013, 09:40 PM
We had to evacuate our tent the other week when hunting stones. It was 2am and a monster storm came through, I poked my head out of the tent in time to see a tree get hit a couple km away. Needless to say we were out of the tent and heading down the hill to a rock cliff shelter. 10 minutes later the storm was over us and wow is all I can say.

Happened again at 4am so didn't make for a good night's sleep.

ElectricDyck
08-16-2013, 11:20 PM
I was talking to my brother about this while camping when the thunder was booming and cracking. He climbs mountains and said you can feel your skin tingle and your arm hair stands up as the static builds up and your metal climbing gear starts to ring a bit. They take all their metall off and look for a ledge to climb under. He watched the strikes and was amazed that it didn't strike the peak but a few hundred yards down.

Rackem
08-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Yeah have had some spectacular thunderstorms up here in Chetwynd, power went out at work for a bit because we are on the Tumbler grid, was told by the electrical engineer that it was a lightning strike...Storms pass through quickly and make some amazing cloud formations over the prairie...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMAG2541.jpg

leadpillproductions
08-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Try and get hit by lightning in your house got hit tues it sucks . came threw my house and I was touching my fridge when it blasted me , just hammered me to the floor had black marks on both heels where it left my body . But doctor says im fine freakin scary tho.

Big Lew
08-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Statistics suggest that 9-10 people in Canada get killed and 100-150 get injured by lightning each year, so the odds are in our favour, but I wouldn't go flying a kite, play golf, stay in a metal-poled tent, walk on an exposed ridge with a metal frame pack, or continue to fly fish with a 9-10 ft rod while standing in a boat during a nearby lightning storm....but that's just me. I've had lightning blow up trees very close to me, and have had it hit above and below me while up in the mountains.

Ozone
08-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Ive been 150 miles offshore in a sailboat with a 55' steel mast with lighting all around us but luckily never got hit. A bit nerve racking to say the least.

Jagermeister
08-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Ive been 150 miles offshore in a sailboat with a 55' steel mast with lighting all around us but luckily never got hit. A bit nerve racking to say the least.That is why they put that metal plate on the hull which has an attachment to the mast.
Leadpillproductions, you should check the electrical ground wire on your house. You know the one that is attached to the ground rod.