PDA

View Full Version : fall black bear

olympia
08-15-2013, 01:23 PM
just out of curiosity, how many of you guys go for fall black bear? is the meat too fatty now? I noticed not very many people talk about hunting bear in the fall but things really light up on this forum for spring black bear

monasheemountainman
08-15-2013, 01:42 PM
That's cuz ungulates are way better eating and more fun to hunt. I'll shoot a bear in the fall, if he's big, I find fall bear meat better than spring if they've been eating berries. I don't specifically hunt them in the fall but like I said if I run into one and he's good I'll usually take him

Mikey Rafiki
08-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Can bear meat be too fatty?

I think people love spring bears because it's the first hunting season once winter is over, the bears are a lot more active, plus the spring coat tends to be nicer as they can be rubbed up come fall.

MEATEATER
08-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Shoot them up high in the Berry patches not in the river with a mouth full of fish and your laughing. And yes I do hunt bears in the fall and yes they are a bit fattier.

cheers

swamper
08-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I will take a fall bear anytime. You do have to trim a bit more fat, but the meat makes awesome sausage without having to add any other meat such as pork.

Abashai
08-15-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm going to be trying this year with a bow hopefully. In the past growing up and going out with my dad we'd always see one when out for deer or elk or moose and he'd say " Shoot it if you want, but do you really want to work that hard right now?" A few years later and I still have yet to shoot one.

X2 on going for them up high in the berry patch, or try find an orchard where the owners are having a problem with them. My dad once shot an orchard bear in the fall and gave most of the meat away to a family that didn't hunt at the time. They still rave about that meat years later!

BCHunterTV
08-15-2013, 03:41 PM
sept 1 ll be out, alpine looking for them eating berries

sarg
08-15-2013, 04:43 PM
I prefer fall bear over spring bear as long as there not in the rivers eating fish and if so i'll pass, bear is the first thing open after the long clod winter so people get stoked to get out and hunt,

Surrey Boy
08-15-2013, 05:02 PM
If you have the chance, try to line up a fall bear hunt in an orchard (Region 8 has a longer season for this purpose) and get some tasty meat.

Eating spawned-out salmon is good for the hide, not great on a plate.

IME, spring meat is milder.

emerson
08-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Can bear meat be too fatty?

I think people love spring bears because it's the first hunting season once winter is over, the bears are a lot more active, plus the spring coat tends to be nicer as they can be rubbed up come fall.
This. Yes, if I only take one in the spring I look for the second in the fall.

fishingguy44
08-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Is there any lower main land alpine or areas not days away that bears will be and not ever eat any fish?

Bistchen
08-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes if its a nice Colour phase or just a unique bear. One that you don't see around much. Usually im focused on deer or other game. In reality, I would probably be choked if I had to pack a bruin outta the alpine. (in hindsight of course.)

But like most guys here, ill keep focused on bear in the spring.

Fred1
08-15-2013, 05:53 PM
sept 1 ll be out, alpine looking for them eating berries
Careful... Ill be out there eating berries...

TheProvider
08-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Berry patches, hides will be prime mid to late fall. The meat doesn't get more fat. Just more fat between the meat and skin. Its amazing to see the fat on a September bear compared to late season. I will normally hunt them as I prefer to have cold weather for deer unless I am up in the alpine. Not too bad though sitting in a blueberry patch munching on blueberries as you glass ;)

Cyrus
08-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Good topic! I am gonna go after the bear that mangled my trail cam...He is very big and brave too. Would a fall bear still make a nice rug? Also when skinning can someone refer me to how it should be skinned if I am planning on a rug? Did a search but it never seems to work for me on this site...

squamishhunter
08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Is there any lower main land alpine or areas not days away that bears will be and not ever eat any fish?

Mamquam FSR, Squamish. Go to the far end, when the road narrows take the second left.

Drillbit
08-15-2013, 09:24 PM
If I don't shoot two in the spring I'll shoot a fall bear. I, for sure, shoot the limit every year....even if it only saves one moose calf.

Been very hot and dry this year though, the blueberry's are all dried up in most spots.

BCHunterTV
08-15-2013, 09:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eipZ3kD7F0

emerson
08-15-2013, 10:26 PM
If I don't shoot two in the spring I'll shoot a fall bear. I, for sure, shoot the limit every year....even if it only saves one moose calf.

Been very hot and dry this year though, the blueberry's are all dried up in most spots.

Good point about the heat and berry supply. My bud still has 2 to go this this fall (late conversion to committed hunter).

itsy bitsy xj
08-15-2013, 10:39 PM
I'll be out trying fr one this fall

Wackman
08-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Good topic! I am gonna go after the bear that mangled my trail cam...He is very big and brave too. Would a fall bear still make a nice rug? Also when skinning can someone refer me to how it should be skinned if I am planning on a rug? Did a search but it never seems to work for me on this site...

Check out "Testa's taxidermy" (or something like that) on
You tube. I found it very interesting.

Wade
08-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I prefer fall bear, I like the hides better and the meat is better when they've bin in the blue berries