PDA

View Full Version : FSJ Area Goose and Duck Hunting

Angus
08-15-2013, 10:14 AM
I relocated to FSJ in May and have been trying to access lakes, ponds and fields for waterfowling. I have had a couple good conversations with one of the local COs, talking with O&G operators, and have been out banging on some doors. I have some more doors to knock in.

Cecil Lake area looks great and appears to be on the Flyway, but public access is difficult. Other than private lands with ponds and sloughs, are there any public access areas for waterfowling? I know there is a closed area of Peace River near its intersection with the Beaton River, but has anyone had success in some of the back bays in other areas of the river?

And yeah, I know, I'm in the Peace and there's tons of big game to hunt. I'm on that, but also really enjoy watching my dog work the waterfowl.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry

Surrey Boy
08-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Cecil Lake is a bird sanctuary, so I wouldn't suggest you hunt there.

Boundary Lake might be good. You can shoot birds from BC and your dog can fetch them from Alberta. Scout it out on a dry day or bring a very capable 4x4.

Angus
08-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Cecil Lake is a bird sanctuary, so I wouldn't suggest you hunt there.

Negative SB. The Cecil Lake Ecological Reserve is about 5 to 10km northeast of the lake, and has nothing to do with the lake itself.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/map.html