PDA

View Full Version : Electronic calls ok for coyotes, wolf, lynx, bobcat, cougar but NOT raccoon?

caddisguy
08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Does anyone have any idea what the justification is? From what I have been reading, it seems pretty hard to get the critters to come out of their den during the day without playing a "raccoon fight" recording. Given the rest of that list, I thought it was strange coons were excluded from the "allow" list. I almost wonder it is an oversight.

Singleshotneeded
08-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Y'all might have hit the nail plumb on the haid! Maybe that call is such a sure thing that the MOE figures raccoons would be decimated if it was allowed?

Gateholio
08-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Looks like a good BCWF resolution.!!

caddisguy
08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Y'all might have hit the nail plumb on the haid! Maybe that call is such a sure thing that the MOE figures raccoons would be decimated if it was allowed?

They could always set a bag limit. Right now it's NBL, at least for 2-2 to 2-19. I can't imagine anyone wanting very many raccoons. Maybe one for a pelt and a seasons worth of crayfish bait! ;)

Who would one contact to find out if the exclusion is intentional or oversight? Maybe it can be revised.

If I'm listening to an 80's hair metal band on the ipod and a coon comes out, does that count as calling? Some of that sounds like raccoons fighting :D j/k

Or maybe the whole idea about provoking alpha male raccoons is too dangerous... surrounded by rawled up alpha coons... gun jam... uh-oh!

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Does anyone have any idea what the justification is? From what I have been reading, it seems pretty hard to get the critters to come out of their den during the day without playing a "raccoon fight" recording. Given the rest of that list, I thought it was strange coons were excluded from the "allow" list. I almost wonder it is an oversight.

As far as I can tell, there is no legitimate justification for many aspects of the hunting regulations in BC. Additionally when questioned the powers that be are extremely slow to respond and provide nothing by way of reason if asked why things are the way they are. It is possible this result would be different if you were to ask for an answer concerning a blatantly obvious regulation: a question such as "Why are there bag limits for Game Species". Otherwise, they appear to be at a loss*.

Perhaps you could contact the local CO and ask to use calls for Racoon. It is possible that they just assumed no one would be interested in doing so and/or an oversight, indeed.

*This is an attempt at being generous and giving the benefit of the doubt. I did not verify by asking any such question(s) and unfortunately would not be suprised if the respondent would be unable to tell you about simple Conservation principles.

Singleshotneeded
08-15-2013, 11:17 PM
They could always set a bag limit. Right now it's NBL, at least for 2-2 to 2-19. I can't imagine anyone wanting very many raccoons. Maybe one for a pelt and a seasons worth of crayfish bait! ;)

Who would one contact to find out if the exclusion is intentional or oversight? Maybe it can be revised.

If I'm listening to an 80's hair metal band on the ipod and a coon comes out, does that count as calling? Some of that sounds like raccoons fighting :D j/k

Or maybe the whole idea about provoking alpha male raccoons is too dangerous... surrounded by rawled up alpha coons... gun jam... uh-oh!
I'm thinking, Caddisguy, that if you played certain songs by the Scorpions it would be pretty close to that coon fighting noise! :-) I'm thinking a CO could tell you if that was an oversight and if they care if you serenade Rocky Raccoon before you shoot him! I agree with Blunderbuss Walsingham that some of the rules in the B.C. regs defy logical sense.

fowl language
08-16-2013, 03:41 PM
raccoons are under schedule B not schedule C .they are considered fur bearing animals is the story I get from the biology dept. I understand that some of schedule A are allowed to be harvested with the use of electronic calls as they fall under control animals. like clark said it would be a good resolution for the bcwf convention....dale