PDA

View Full Version : Early moose in 5-04, advice needed.

Squamch
08-15-2013, 09:32 AM
My Dad and brother and I got a group draw in 5-04 from sept 10-30. We're going to be up there for opening day, and figure it's gonna be WARM. We want to arrange space in a cooler in Williams lake, or somewhere closer if possible. So that's the first question-does anyone have a number for someone who rents cooler space, hopefully also a meat cutter?
Next question-how's grouse looking up there this year? We had a draw up there probably 10 years ago and it was chock-a-block with grouse. Dad went up a couple years later and hardly saw any!
And the final question is more of an open ended plea for advice. Spots to go, places to avoid, road conditions, or any other info that may be worthwhile.

Cheers!
sam

srupp
08-15-2013, 09:58 AM
hmmm there is a new meat cutting place on HWY 20 near Redstone..it may hang and cut game?? big facility..

Beaver vally Laffer?? they cut and hang game...no place has room to just hang game..they will want to cut it also...

good amount of grouse so far..look for water....slower river creeks but mostly small water...ie lakes..gonna be a tough go it is baking hot for past 2 months....

cheers
Srupp

levind
08-15-2013, 10:05 AM
with that draw one thing i would do depending on your time is plan to go back at the end of the draw to catch the rut. we had a draw last year in 502 and went for opening day saw a bunch of cows but it was hot. went back the last 3 days and the first morning called in 3 bulls at the same time and we took the biggest one.

I've never hunted that area so cant help much more than that but i do find some spots are better at the beginning and some produce more during the end of September at least in the few areas i know of in 502.

good luck.
Kevin

srupp
08-15-2013, 09:01 PM
hmmm a cold night and some calling changes everything,,usully 26 Sept they start answering..and moving in search of the females....

Ike
08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
That would be Chilcotin Harvest

hmmm there is a new meat cutting place on HWY 20 near Redstone..it may hang and cut game?? big facility..

Beaver vally Laffer?? they cut and hang game...no place has room to just hang game..they will want to cut it also...

good amount of grouse so far..look for water....slower river creeks but mostly small water...ie lakes..gonna be a tough go it is baking hot for past 2 months....

cheers
Srupp

Fred1
08-15-2013, 09:12 PM
call call call! Stay close to water. Get out to your spot before sun up - hunt till you cant see. The bulls will move less during the heat, but don't let the heat discourage you!! They will move! I would go closer to the end of your draw - only to avoid this year's heat! Good Luck!!

f350ps
08-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Frans Laffer is in Horsefly, long haul to hang meat! K

srthomas75
08-15-2013, 09:48 PM
which section of 5-04 is your draw? A or B/C ?

Squamch
08-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the help so far guys!
we're in zones B/C.

srthomas75
08-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I will be in sub region A for the end of September. the last 8 years or so I have hunted 5-03. We have done reasonably well there but received our 2nd choice leh this year and are going to new ground. [ it's a little too far to commute from the cabins we normally stay at ] The last couple years I have known guys that stayed at Fletcher lake for their 5-04 hunt and not done well. [ harvesting or even seeing animals ]

Pioneerman
08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
We hunted there a few years and saw lots of moose until the natives started with road blocks near Fletcher lake during LEH times not wanting hunters to take moose during their allotted time. Some stayed at Fletcher and always took freezers filling them with fish, it was very good, but we were there for moose and deer. We went past Fletcher lake until road T's and there is a phone booth there, yes in what seems like the middle of no where a phone booth lol. Turn right and we went a long way in toe the road just before Kloakut lake turn left and go in that way. There was some great deactivated roads a few years ago, that went back for miles. Seen lots of deer around in late Sept, got a couple nice ones one 5 pnt and one 4 pnt, and a few moose. Nice big area. Be ready to turn off Hwy at Hanceville as you come down hill or you will pass turn off. It was right before the store when we were there last. Good luck

srupp
08-17-2013, 11:42 AM
still holds good deer populations, and moose also..

steven