PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna + Area Elk Hunt Suggestions

Crazygiant
08-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I was wondering if anybody out there would like to help me with any suggestions on Hunting Elk in the Okanagan in MU 8-9, 8-10 and 8-12? I keep hearing that this year will be great for Elk hunting and want to have a better chance on my 1st Elk hunt.

OutWest
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
It's no secret that Region 8 holds elk. Your location says Keowna. There's no better way to get information than by getting your boots on the ground and doing some scouting yourself.

Crazygiant
08-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks Nick!
That is definitely sound advice.
I'm very new at the whole hunting scene, especially big game. I've never really scouted before either.

.300WSMImpact!
08-14-2013, 08:52 PM
good luck its a very tough hunt, you should be able to see elk and play around with them, but with the high harvest numbers 6 point elk are very tough to find, good look pound some ground you will find them

doubled
08-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Elk are here but they are tough with the amount of hunters here too. Across the lake and in the burn, you will find them. Be prepared to walk.

one-shot-wonder
08-14-2013, 09:01 PM
An Okanagan bull elk is an accomplishment, put in time and burn up some boot leather, you will undoubtedly be into sign if you focus on the units you have mentioned. If I were you I would personally focus down Hwy 33...think east of town.

OutWest
08-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks Nick!
That is definitely sound advice.
I'm very new at the whole hunting scene, especially big game. I've never really scouted before either.

No problem. Region 8 is no gimme by any means but there are plenty of elk to be had with harvest usually being just above or below 50 bulls. 8-09, 8-14 and 8-15 usually make up the bulk of 6pt harvest. 8-04 and 8-05 always produce a few bulls as well.

Bobfl
08-14-2013, 09:48 PM
It is no easy task in Kelowna, mums the word there. Boat across to rattlesnake island and pound the hills. have to pound ground there

mark
08-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Of all regions in bc, the okanagan is probably the toughest place to bag an elk by far!
Lots and lots of pressure.
Pretty sure there was only 8 bulls taken in 8-09 last year.

monasheemountainman
08-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Go to the koots, better elk Huntig there

Wrayzer
08-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Head East, hard hunting them around these hills, if you enjoy calling in other hunters then have at er.

604redneck
08-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Im with you....spend a little extra fuel to get there but increase your odds greatly

RBooth
08-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Like the others have said, Elk numbers are greater in the Kootenays. If you're looking to have a good chance at bagging an elk in the first year or two of your elk hunting, I would suggest the Kootenays as well. If you're looking to hunt elk in your back yard, regardless of success and amount of time you have to put in, DO IT! They're out there, and there are plenty of legal bulls to go around, I hunt a very small area and have multiple legal bulls on the cams this year, I won't even be in region to be hunting them so they'll be there for you too ;)
In this heat, get into cooler draws, thick bush, and you'll find bedding areas. Set up some cams to have some fun and at least know they're there. Gives you hope for the season!

Don't eat pepperoni anywhere around the time you plan on hunting elk. It'll spoil a hunt in a hurry ;) Same goes for chilli and a high protein diet!

Good luck!

flyhigh_206
08-15-2013, 10:29 PM
hey bud ill send you some info in a pm, I lived there for five years and hunted hard with no one giving up any advice, hopefully I can point you in the right direction

BiG Boar
08-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Region 8 elk is like the Pitt marsh of ducks. They're everywhere! Plus virtually no pressure because everyone tells you they're impossible to find! And everyone buys that!

.300WSMImpact!
08-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Region 8 elk is like the Pitt marsh of ducks. They're everywhere! Plus virtually no pressure because everyone tells you they're impossible to find! And everyone buys that!

Hahaha that's funny

OutWest
08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
The funny thing is Big Boar's comment isn't far off the mark. Region 8 elk really strike a nerve with some people on here. The elk are there, and good elk hunting is good elk hunting, whether it's the Okanagan, the Kootenays or elsewhere. Put in some time to find them and you're off and running.

Steer clear of the South parking lot in 8-09 to avoid the gongshow and you'll do just fine.

358mag
08-16-2013, 11:32 AM
The funny thing is Big Boar's comment isn't far off the mark. Region 8 elk really strike a nerve with some people on here. The elk are there, and good elk hunting is good elk hunting, whether it's the Okanagan, the Kootenays or elsewhere. Put in some time to find them and you're off and running.

Steer clear of the South parking lot in 8-09 to avoid the gongshow and you'll do just fine.
And the North parking lot not a lot better one of the few places that have valet parking .....
Hard to believe its been 10 years since the Fire and the start of the gong show in 8-09 Good luck to all ,keep putting lots of miles on your quads and trucks .:)

Ourea
08-16-2013, 03:08 PM
No problem. Region 8 is no gimme by any means but there are plenty of elk to be had with harvest usually being just above or below 50 bulls. 8-09, 8-14 and 8-15 usually make up the bulk of 6pt harvest. 8-04 and 8-05 always produce a few bulls as well.

Region 8 boasts a modest elk population.....plenty of elk would be a slight overstatement.

Some things you should be aware of....
Temps in region 8 can easily be in the upper twenties with no cloud cover making elk activity happen in very short windows especially in the OK Valley.
Be prepared for that.

Think cover.
Think cool.
Think thick.

Appreciate that most hunters have an eye on harvesting a reg 8 elk.
That coupled with proximity to major urban population means pressure. Elk and pressure go together like oil and water.
After opening day you need to be prepared to get back well off the beaten path.
It's a tough challenge without some working knowledge of the area you wish to hunt...but never say never.

Make a focused and calculated effort and you should find where some elk are...........the rest is up to you.

rides bike to work
08-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Nice thing about an elk hunt in the okanogan I you have a good chance at a nice mulie at the same time whereas in the kootneys there's no more mulies

White tails ate them all

Junorr500
08-16-2013, 04:23 PM
It is no easy task in Kelowna, mums the word there. Boat across to rattlesnake island and pound the hills. have to pound ground there

There are no elk left there. To much hunting pressure. I've noticed a glut of hunters and a sharp decline in both numbers and quality of game up there. Plus its about the toughest hunt going if you don't know your way around or how to hunt it effectively. Think hot weather and limited drinking water. Have to worry about meat spoiling etc.

hunter1993ap
08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
here's my take, if someone blabs about a spot "online" its probably going to be F(&(*((** in short order. I have found elk in the Okanagan and have had good opportunities on good bulls but I have put in a lot of time. the last few years its seemed to get progressively worse for decent bulls. needless to say there are way better places to go and that is why I wont be hunting elk locally this year.

6point
08-16-2013, 04:54 PM
ive saw a couple cows and a 6x7 while working near big white a few years back..i forget the road but it was on the left side of the highway on your way up not too far from the ski hill!

358mag
08-16-2013, 05:35 PM
ive saw a couple cows and a 6x7 while working near big white a few years back..i forget the road but it was on the left side of the highway on your way up not too far from the ski hill!

Yes seen that bull also and right around the corner there was a nice 220 class NT Mule deer and on the way back to Hwy 33 a very nice 5x5 Whity buck was walking down the road. So much game up in that country and next to no hunters .

Wrayzer
08-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Plenty of elk around, everyone I check all the cams, there's always more elk than deer and moose combined. It's finding the quality okanagan bull's that is the challenge.

OutWest
08-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Be on the lookout for the elitist hunter around Wildhorse Canyon as well. You know, the guy who has "lived in Kelowna for over 40 years" and has more right to hunt there than any of us.

358mag
08-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Be on the lookout for the elitist hunter around Wildhorse Canyon as well. You know, the guy who has "lived in Kelowna for over 40 years" and has more right to hunt there than any of us.
Not the vacuum cleaner man ?:wink::wink::wink:

6point
08-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Yes seen that bull also and right around the corner there was a nice 220 class NT Mule deer and on the way back to Hwy 33 a very nice 5x5 Whity buck was walking down the road. So much game up in that country and next to no hunters .

lol! I was actualy serious..i was in there building a logging road for a few weeks about 5 years ago...saw a few critters in my short time there.

sarnold
08-16-2013, 09:53 PM
8-12 would be my pick of those three, if you want to venture further 8-15 has some very nice elk terrian

358mag
08-16-2013, 09:54 PM
lol! I was actualy serious..i was in there building a logging road for a few weeks about 5 years ago...saw a few critters in my short time there.

So was I !!!!!!

.300WSMImpact!
08-16-2013, 10:58 PM
elk hunting in region eight is like sheep hunting in region 4, 2000 guys chasing 10 legal bulls, good luck

one-shot-wonder
08-16-2013, 11:20 PM
A bit out on the numbers but the point has been made, one needs to work for a legal bull in 8.

OutWest
08-17-2013, 07:21 PM

Ding ding. Lots of the pot calling the kettle black. Tends to be forgetful when it's convenient for him.

Moose Guide
08-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Of all regions in bc, the okanagan is probably the toughest place to bag an elk by far!
Lots and lots of pressure.
Pretty sure there was only 8 bulls taken in 8-09 last year.

I think there was only one taken from 4-30 last year and only about 5 or 6 from 4-27, 28, 29 and 30 combined. Spend every possible minute hunting them to enhance your odds!

604redneck
08-17-2013, 08:11 PM
There are no elk left there. To much hunting pressure. I've noticed a glut of hunters and a sharp decline in both numbers and quality of game up there. Plus its about the toughest hunt going if you don't know your way around or how to hunt it effectively. Think hot weather and limited drinking water. Have to worry about meat spoiling etc.Nice of someone to show you and your family how to hunt that area and for you to tell people there are no elk left there. Probably wishing you hadnt taken everyone and there grandma in there.

one-shot-wonder
08-17-2013, 10:29 PM
They both suck.......sorry couldn't help myself :mrgreen:

Junorr500
08-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Nice of someone to show you and your family how to hunt that area and for you to tell people there are no elk left there. Probably wishing you hadnt taken everyone and there grandma in there.

Do I know you?

Ogopogo
08-18-2013, 09:11 PM
must say this post sure is entertaining lol

Wrayzer
08-18-2013, 09:30 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/smile-shock.gif

358mag
08-18-2013, 09:44 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/smile-shock.gif

See no evil , smell no evil + taste no evil , just another day of elk hunting in Region 8

604redneck
08-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Do I know you?I guess you could say that i worked at rambow......

Junorr500
08-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Yu used to post as .300wsm

Wrayzer
08-19-2013, 06:36 AM
One of my favourite topics to come up on this site each season, the chords it strikes is entertaining.

Checked a tcam lately, again healthy herd on it, lots of calves, young bulls and cows. Serious question for the experienced elk hunters, for Sept 10 would it be beneficial to hunt where the cows are right now, or where you are seeing legal bulls right now? In other words, will the bulls be starting to gather a harem by Sept 10?

.300WSMImpact!
08-19-2013, 06:45 AM
One of my favourite topics to come up on this site each season, the chords it strikes is entertaining.

Checked a tcam lately, again healthy herd on it, lots of calves, young bulls and cows. Serious question for the experienced elk hunters, for Sept 10 would it be beneficial to hunt where the cows are right now, or where you are seeing legal bulls right now? In other words, will the bulls be starting to gather a harem by Sept 10?

you would have to leave the region to get to the legal bulls

Muliechaser
08-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Short awnser is yes, stay on the cows buddy.

Mc

Wrayzer
08-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Short awnser is yes, stay on the cows buddy.

Mc
Last few seasons we have found the action to pick up the third week of Sept, with the rags on the cows early. Keeping tabs on the cows and few different herds we have right now should be beneficial for a few weeks later, is how I want to play it. But the opener deffienitly gets me anxious..
Will be interesting to keep studying them early season.

rides bike to work
08-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Checked my cams yesterday a few cows and bulls were in there up until early July but haven't been back since. My cam is at lowere elevation do you think they might come back by October.
Do elk like apples like deer do.

Ourea
08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Checked my cams yesterday a few cows and bulls were in there up until early July but haven't been back since. My cam is at lowere elevation do you think they might come back by October.
Do elk like apples like deer do.

The last few summers have been excessively warm and dry out here. Most lower to mid level elevations are baked by late July and the game reacts accordingly to the change in habitat. I would suspect that's what you are experiencing.
If elk can't find what they want/need they simply go elsewhere to find it.
Hunting in an area that is as arid as Reg 8 can make for variables needed to be factored in to be able to find and stay on elk.

Running numerous cams with our group we see this trend every year....the lower cams dry up first.

604redneck
08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Yu used to post as .300wsm
Nope that's art another guy that worked there.....close friend of mine

Stone Sheep Steve
08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
The last few summers have been excessively warm and dry out here. Most lower to mid level elevations are baked by late July and the game reacts accordingly to the change in habitat. I would suspect that's what you are experiencing.
If elk can't find what they want/need they simply go elsewhere to find it.
Hunting in an area that is as arid as Reg 8 can make for variables needed to be factored in to be able to find and stay on elk.

Running numerous cams with our group we see this trend every year....the lower cams dry up first.

Seems to be true for other game as well.
I had a mid-elevation cam that was getting quite a bit of action(not in an elk area).....lots of bears, moose and some deer. In the last 2 weeks not a single animal pic. Really dried up in the since my previous check 2 weeks before.

SSS

Ogopogo
08-20-2013, 10:09 PM
the one that was up postil was shot last year, non left now.

mark
08-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Wow, entertaining thread!
Seems everyone knows everyone in this valley....lol
Cant wait to see what this years gong show produces?

bruce0580
08-31-2013, 08:19 PM
stay in k town no elk in the koots