PDA

View Full Version : all round mtn boots vs super stiff for mountain hunting

goinghunting
08-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Im looking for new boots right now and have always used an all round backpacking boot like the meindl canadians that I have right now. I've never used a super stiff boot like the miendl super perfekt but was just shown them by a buddy at work who swares by them because of how ridgid they are for side hilling. What are all you using for steep country hunting. I almost bought some lowa hunter gtx's the other day until I looked at these super perfekts?

Krico
08-14-2013, 04:35 PM
The super stiff ones are great for side hilling, and for climbing. But they suck balls on flat ground and descents. Also hard on your knees.

goinghunting
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
The super stiff ones are great for side hilling, and for climbing. But they suck balls on flat ground and descents. Also hard on your knees.

Thanks krico, you may have just sealed the deal for me because my knees are my week link!

sheephunterab
08-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Super stiff are great for serious mountaineering but not so great for long hikes with heavy backpacks. FWIW, the Tibets have served me well for many years. On my third pair this year. Just got back from a pretty grueling goat hunt with no complaints. My ankles are pretty well toast and require some serious surgery and I actually tried a pair of the stiff mountaineering boots for 1/2 a season and while they did help my ankles, they definitely weren't the boot for me.

geoskier
08-14-2013, 04:59 PM
I had the Meindl Ortler. It worked out great for serious bush work and hunting. Now have kenetrek mountain extremes and they seem fine so far.

08-14-2013, 05:30 PM
If the Meindl's are working for you right now, they are a good boot. My duck foot couldn't get in them because of my width and l ended up going with Vi-berg Hunters...........good boot as well, lots of support but still have flexibility, only draw back is that they are in the heavy wt class as far as boots go.

Krico
08-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks krico, you may have just sealed the deal for me because my knees are my week link!

Yup-with no ankle flex, your knees pick up the slack. Not a good choice for you.

RiverOtter
08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Owned a pair of Meindl "Super Cracks" once; never again.....

Great if you're gonna bolt on crampons regularily and pretty good for really steep stuff, but they suck for log crossings and anything else that requires finess. Also I found them a death trap in slick stuff, as the sole refused to conform to anything and grab traction....

Mountain Hunter
08-14-2013, 08:54 PM
For steep, rugged mountain hunting you would do well with a good "backpacking" boot, not a hiker. No need for a full shank mountaineering boot either, but 3/4 shank. The Lowas you were looking at, Han Wag Alaskans, Kenetrek Extremes, etc. that other people mentioned on here would do anyone well in the rough stuff. Doesn't hurt if they say "strap on crampon compatible", meaning the boot flexes a fair bit but is fairly solid. If you buy a boot that has "step in (rigid) crampon compatible" the boot likely has solid toe and heel welts (sometimes plastic) that the crampon clips onto, then the boot is likely to stiff for you, good for glacier travel and rock climbing.

In my mind, a lot of boots that have soft leather and are advertised as "hunting" boots on many hunting websites and stores are good for walking around the forest and cutblocks and gentle terrain but are too soft for serious mountain hunting....you will roll and twist those ankles! Good luck