PDA

View Full Version : Hunting wonowon area for moose

levind
08-14-2013, 03:42 PM
I havent been to the area in over 7 years. I'm planning a trip up there this year around sept 25 and i've heard a lot about gas exploration up north and i'm wondering if this area has been hard hit by that this year or last year?

Thanks
Kevin

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Very hard going crazy !!'

hiway24
08-14-2013, 06:20 PM
its sickening how much gas exploration is going on up there. i was in a helicopter for a week working and didnt see one moose

Beaufortranger
08-14-2013, 06:39 PM
If you haven't been there for 7 years you're gonna shit your pants. There's a 200 man camp there where the hotel used to be. The road hunters in the evenings make it real interesting to hunt. Couldn't believe my eyes two years ago when I first seen it.

Apolonius
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I was up there two years ago and it seemed like a traffic jam.Lots of traffic and lots of hunters.Got nothing.This year don't know yet.Tough to go all the way up there with the gas prices and see nothing.Lots of bear though.But the worst for me was the amount of work and roads everywhere.Imagine being an animal up there.Gas exploration is raping the country up there.

levind
08-15-2013, 10:12 AM
where has it stopped the exploring that is? is it going past fort nelson? stone mountain? Also how far out is the exploration going out past he beatton river or the prophet river is it all concentrated around wonowon?

Surrey Boy
08-15-2013, 06:01 PM
The Blueberry had "harvested" Mile 98 last summer. No moose left.

ufishifish2
08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I hunted for moose up there last year. Big mistake. Didn't see a single moose, nor any recent evidence of moose activity. The gas exploration was everywhere. I don't know what this does to the moose..... if anything, but they sure didn't seem to be anywhere near Wonowon.

Jim Prawn
08-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I've been hunting the wonawomen area for years and still havent found a beaver worth taking!
JP

brutus
08-16-2013, 06:03 AM
Lol was there last year in late oct saw 9 moose in one slash pile of wonowon 2 non legal bull and 7 cow , they still lots of moose there just hiding in the timber more then siting on the road lmao

thunderheart
08-16-2013, 07:17 AM
i drive crews around up thata way .. 12000 klm in the past month of driving in and out of camps and leases ... the moose and dear are very wiley it seems .. have seen a few but mostly cows at early light and late...i think the industry has certainly pushed the wildlife back so my thinking is get as back as far as u can .. quad may be the answer

good luck

there is early hunt camps all around .. moose season started on aug 15 up here

takla1
08-18-2013, 01:47 PM
hunted the prophet for yrs up till the antler restriction.looks of bulls in there,good bull/cow ratio but finding the right number of pnts is frustrateing.Last yr in they opened the atv trail up into a hyway

thunderheart
08-19-2013, 04:23 AM
there are a few bulls coming out in this early run .. aug 15 it opened ....there are a few camps set up here and there

levind
08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
It sure is tough going into a spot that i havent been in years. its like going in blind all over again. It sure makes it a tougher hunt when you need to have the right points but i find hunting moose in the rut so much better than in the early season for the any bull. hate the long days and bugs!!!! lol

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
08-19-2013, 01:24 PM
We are working in the area and it crazy with logging and oil patch ....seen one cow moose and a pack of wolves.

thunderheart
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
talked with a few in my travels today .. one group was eating at sasquatch and said they been coming up every yr and this yr seen not a moose ...said that opening day the pink mounbtain had 40 moose hanging in 05 and this yr only one .....its a mess up thata way

levind
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Thunderheart i've been up during the opening near pink mountain mind you its been a long time ago but the pink mountain hanger was almost always full from the 2 or 3rd day on so that is sad to hear if it has changed that much in that area.

Sofa King
08-21-2013, 09:01 AM
I was gassing up in wonowon about this time last year, maybe a week later, on my way back from the Yukon.
a truck pulled in with a huge moose in the back, all I could see was antler.

but yeah, it's not like the old days anymore.
on the whole trip, I saw one moose, and that was around toad river.

rides bike to work
08-21-2013, 11:37 AM
So is gas and oil exploration in the north hurting our wildlife habitat?
Oh well. As long as the economy is good. It's worth it. RIGHT?

Darksith
08-21-2013, 01:35 PM

I don't know if its hurting it, but its definitely pushing them away from the roads. As the activity dies down the logging and forest removal will increase ideal habitat for moose if its not all poisoned with chemicals and such

Sofa King
08-21-2013, 01:57 PM

no more-so than logging is down here in the south.

thunderheart
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
on a lighter note i did see a monster mulie on the 97 close to 80 mile yesterdaY

kendoo
08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Not industry or over hunting just plain fewer moose 10-15 years ago we would see lots of moose on the Muskwa river & the last couple years we see maybe 1 or 2 in a 2 week period. And very few people shoot moose way up river, mostly elk & sheep hunters

Surrey Boy
08-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Look at the mines by Chetwynd and consider: If we don't dig it out, the Chinese will come and do it for us. At least Canadians are collecting the cheques out of petroleum.

brutus
08-22-2013, 05:11 PM
buddys show up in that area wen night and got a moose the first morning,right place right time lucky *******s,stuck here working f***

ASPEN
08-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Back couple days ago from Wonowon area-lots of gas activity and logging-Seen lots of moose-Bulls included,lots of bears and some wolves.Most hunters in our area were not interested in hunting first light-hence the success was down for them!

browningboy
08-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Every time we go up by there we get moose, it's a great area just have to get in the thick shit.

sneg
08-26-2013, 09:08 PM
still lot of moose in wonowon area. also seen nice couple elk last week

thunderheart
08-27-2013, 03:54 AM
just have to get in the thick shit.

yup have to agree .. did some walking the otherday and further away from the active roads the better .. track and sign wise .. saw one cow ... but at least a critter ..i need a quad ..lol