PDA

View Full Version : SPOT satellite phone, anyone going to grab one?

The Silent Stalker
08-13-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm really thinking about the new SPOT phone, seems very affordable at only $499 and as low as $25 a month for 10minutes. Would be good to have for the worst case scenarios. I just recently fell very ill with appendicitis, brutally sick and the pain was a whole new level. If that had happened during the season opener, where I am going I would've wanted a heli asap! Plus, I think I can rent to a few hunting partners when I am not able to be out there, recoup a little of the purchase price.

sheephunterab
08-13-2013, 08:49 AM
With the reputation Globalstar has had in the satellite phone market in the past, I'm not sure I'd jump on one.

digger dogger
08-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Get a Delorme Inreach!

kootenayelkslayer
08-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Ya I was pretty interested until I saw that it was an extension of Globalstar. Assuming it's using the same satellites as Globalstar, I'd be pretty hesitant to buy one. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like it drops calls pretty quickly, which is right on par with Globalstar.

Everett
08-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Supposedly Globestar recently launched a bunch of new satellites and coverage has improved. I will find out the truth next week as we are using one on our hunt.

kootenayelkslayer
08-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Supposedly Globestar recently launched a bunch of new satellites and coverage has improved. I will find out the truth next week as we are using one on our hunt.

They've been saying that for years! Not sure if it's ever going to happen. There certainly wasn't anymore sats in the sky when I had to use a Globalstar briefly last year. Let us know how it works for you though.

sheephunterab
08-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Globalstar...the last call you'll never make!

bigwhiteys
08-13-2013, 09:35 AM
I have rented Globalstar sat phones for the last 3 years. I use it to check in during the evenings usually a 5-10 min call. I have a SPOT for any emergency use. The first year Globalstar dropped a few calls, the second year they launched new satellites and service was much better. Last year the phone had service for nearly 20-30 minutes per hour, no dropped calls. I pick up another this weekend for our hunt.

The Globalstar sat phone is just their 1700 phone overstock repackaged as the SPOT phone. Not worth $500 and the monthly... The service will be fine for most users (unless you just like to talk all the time?). I wouldn't hesitate to rent one and we pay $100/week from Cercom in Nanaimo and then .50 cents per minute for calls, which they usually give us several free calls too.

Me personally... I'm waiting until better devices come along until I drop any cash on back-country communications.

sheephunterab
08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
With my Iridium I get service 60 minutes per hour......

Wild Images
08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Me too, and I can use it when I really need to, 30 minuites can make a big differance in an emergency

longstonec
08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Globalstar will never get my business again.

bigwhiteys
08-13-2013, 12:38 PM

Ha, the first year we used GS the call windows were as short as 4-6 minutes! So where they are at now is a big improvement. If it's a life/death emergency then my SPOT fills that role. If it's something that can wait 30mins for a call window then the GS works just fine.

Carl

Ry151
08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
The new spot phone is exactly the same thing as a Globalstar phone but with the spot name on it. ( Globalstar and spot are the same companies, just call the customer service, same number). I have two of the older 1600 phones and the service is way better but still sucks in the mountains and northern BC but you can get a 1600 on ebay now fairly cheap so that's what I would do. My buddy got one new for $130 few months back. If your willing to spend the money I'd go inreach, haven't used one but they look like the best thing going so far to me and I plan on getting one soon to try it

sheephunterab
08-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Ha, the first year we used GS the call windows were as short as 4-6 minutes! So where they are at now is a big improvement. If it's a life/death emergency then my SPOT fills that role. If it's something that can wait 30mins for a call window then the GS works just fine.

CarlWhy pay full price for 50% service when there is a much better option?

bigwhiteys
08-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Why pay full price for 50% service when there is a much better option?

Full price? I don't own a sat phone... My 3 years rentals don't even equate to the purchase price of one of these SPOT phones new let alone a $1300+ Iridium. Why would anyone pay full price on any of these options unless they are actually using them 365 days per year? Especially when the technology is outpacing the lifespan of the units. That's why I rent them.

sheephunterab
08-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Are Globalstars that much cheaper to rent? I honestly don't know. For me it was worth buying one and I wanted a phone that worked 24/7 so I went Iridium but perhaps in your case renting a phone that works 50% of the time is a way cheaper and better option than renting an Iridium. For me personally, I need a phone I can count on when I need it.

yama49
08-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I agree Iridum, works when its supposed to. I have a globastar, and cant b bothered to reactivate it, piece shit lol

Everett
08-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Well the new Spot/Globestar worked flawlessly checked it every day over 9 days had a signal every time I checked and worked first try for the two phone calls we made. Was definitely worth the $160 bucks it cost to rent it for the 2 weeks.

Avalanche123
08-27-2013, 06:07 PM
I have both a Global Star and Iridium....Both are on an equal basis right now for reliability. Neither give me 60 minutes of service though however I suspect that is because I use them in the northern part of the province.

I also have a SPOT. Unless I am by myself, I'd go with a SAT phone. (I actually never really use my SPOT anyway except for tracking.....)

Chopper
08-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Uuuuuhhhm ... I bought a new global star last year and its fkn unreal !!!! they Launched 6 new satellites and it works flawlessly. I can even make calls from inside my house. Globalstar no longer has a delay when you talk on it , it sounds like a regular cell phone. You don't have to dial 10 number code befor you dial the actual number. I don't think Iridium holds a candle to them anymore. I know Globalstar used to suck hind tit but those days are long gone. Did I mention they are $39 a month from anywhere and to anywhere in the northern hemisphere unlimited ... Just an awesome piece of kit , ill never go anywhere with out it.

Boner
11-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I was looking at these yesterday at IRL in PG. They are $250 right now on sale. Not a bad investment if they are almost on par with iridium.

Paulyman
11-06-2014, 09:15 AM
the satellite imagery and mapping should be a strong reason for anyone to go with the dolorme inreach. The maps are synced to your smartphone so you get to view them on a much bigger screen.

Ranger95
11-06-2014, 09:44 AM
In-reach all the way - nothing even comes close right now!

Boner
11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Derailed yet again.

This thread started out as a Spot satellite phone topic, not the Spot Connect/Delorme InReach discussion.

KTownKiller
05-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Thought I would just bring this up again and hear what you guys think. I have a new inReach SE that I was going to use on our sheep hunt up by Dease Lake this August. But now I can buy a second hand Globalstar Qualcomm 1600 sat phone for just $150. The guy says he never used it, and it's still in it's packaging. How's the Globalstar service up north these days compared to Iridium's? Thanks, KTK

Bighorn hunter
05-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Used an iridium and a global star last August side by side in the mountains and both were about the same in a good way

KTownKiller
05-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks, BH. Was that in northern BC?

KTownKiller
05-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Just found this coverage map. http://www.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=101 Looks like coverage is spotty in the north/west corner of BC, right where I'll be, of course. Probably best to keep my inReach.

Ry151
05-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Global star has definetly gotten better but iridium is still the best. If you get a good deal on the global star go for it but realize it will have outages at time but eventually will work. Before you leave got to the website and get tje optimal times for best service and always have the antenna of the phone facing a clear veiw south.

Harv
05-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Had spot phone in spatsizi last summer it worked flawlessly the whole hunt

scott_karana
05-25-2015, 04:27 PM
I did my own research recently, and while Iridium-based trackers like the InReach are definitely better than the SPOT for world-wide coverage, have you considered getting a distress beacon? (aka PLB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon) instead of either?

It uses worldwide SOS frequencies instead of satellite, so there's no subscription fee or commercial company to rely on, it's got even better world-wide coverage than the sat-phone based solutions, and they have powerful (~5 watt) local emergency beacons in addition to their GPS, so you could get picked up out of an avalance, unlike the satbeacons that can get confused because you put your pack on them in the forest and blocked the sky too much.

Last I checked, they cost about the same as an InReach, ~$300. With no subscription fee though... :D

The disadvantage is, of course, that they're one-way, and emergency only, so you can't get found UNLESS you signal SOS. So your SO can't see where you are, or talk to you. For some, that might be a plus? ;)

albravo2
05-25-2015, 05:57 PM
I did my own research recently, and while Iridium-based trackers like the InReach are definitely better than the SPOT for world-wide coverage, have you considered getting a distress beacon? (aka PLB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon) instead of either?

It uses worldwide SOS frequencies instead of satellite, so there's no subscription fee or commercial company to rely on, it's got even better world-wide coverage than the sat-phone based solutions, and they have powerful (~5 watt) local emergency beacons in addition to their GPS, so you could get picked up out of an avalance, unlike the satbeacons that can get confused because you put your pack on them in the forest and blocked the sky too much.

Last I checked, they cost about the same as an InReach, ~$300. With no subscription fee though... :D

The disadvantage is, of course, that they're one-way, and emergency only, so you can't get found UNLESS you signal SOS. So your SO can't see where you are, or talk to you. For some, that might be a plus? ;)

I wouldn't switch my InReach for it. I use the InReach for non-emergency stuff all the time. Forgotten stuff, weather updates, there are lots of reasons that aren't emergencies. If you break down it is nice to be able to reach buddies to put together a rescue. SAR would take a dim view of a PLB if used that way!

scott_karana
05-26-2015, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't switch my InReach for it. I use the InReach for non-emergency stuff all the time. Forgotten stuff, weather updates, there are lots of reasons that aren't emergencies. If you break down it is nice to be able to reach buddies to put together a rescue. SAR would take a dim view of a PLB if used that way!
Absolutely! I was thinking more, "solo hunter on the cheap" for having a PLB. And ideally in a larger party, you could definitely carry both a PLB and an InReach... ;)

Just figured I should put the word out though, since I haven't read much about PLBs here.

casper359
06-05-2015, 06:08 PM
I was never successfully was able to get my spot to send messages. Not even from my front lawn of my yard where a cellphone works. I tried a bunch of times but no dice. Called the help line and they sent me new ones, tried those and nothing. i have a collection on my kitchen table. The sar guy i talked to uses inreach. he says they work and thats what im gonna get. My buddy has a spot and it works great for him, same community as me. my 2 cents for what its worth.

gizmo_85
06-08-2015, 07:45 AM
I have a ACR PLB and an In-reach which I use for two way communications. The PLB is for the fail safe If I really need help since you just buy it and it sits until used no cost year to year.