PDA

View Full Version : 5-04A 5-04B Big Lake rec site. Konni lake advice

srthomas75
08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
:-? hi Everyone, My group is going into Big lake to stay for our leh moose draw this year. One of our group drove in to have a look this past weekend and thought it looked like a good place to set up a camp. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any comments on the area [ good or bad points ] We have the 5-04A draw and this lake is on the border. Another question I had was what the deer hunting is like here??? I've searched the site and haven't found much talk on this part of the region. [ I guess because the LEH #'s are low for it ? ] thanks in advance. Steve

butcher
08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
I have seen some decent bucks early up there and some big black bears as well as g-bears. Big lake has a decent rec site with not a lot of trees and it gets windy as hell. There are real big fish in the lake as well.

I know a lot of guys will drive the extra time to get into fish lake for their camp but I don't know if it's in your M-U. Always have seen evidence of moose kills up there.

swamper
08-13-2013, 08:05 AM
I just spent a week down there. We only saw one moose on the drive in and never saw any deer whatsoever. One black bear at Vedan lake but no griz. A few spruce grouse, but no ruffies or blues. It's beautiful country with lots of area for quadding. I looked at the Big Lake site on the way out. It looks nice and supposedly there are some nice rainbows, as well as wild Kokanee.

srupp
08-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Decent moose area..and some dandy muley bucks...as has been said LOOK HIGH for these bucks...look for 60 watt light bulbs..these deer bed up high and use their noses constantly..and to improve their noses efficiency and effectiveness they are constantly licking their noses and they shine..wet shine like a 60 watt bulb..good camspot you picked.

steven

srthomas75
08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info on this, We won't be bringing any quads as [ from what I can tell ] 95% of the region is off limits to atv use for hunting. Some of us will probably try our luck at some fishing though. I could care less about fishing myself as I'm going to get us a moose or two. A deer would be ok too.

XPEIer
08-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Big Lake Rec Site has a fee I believe, check www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca (http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca) to confirm. 12.00 a night could add up over a moose trip.

Xpeier

srthomas75
08-14-2013, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE=XPEIer;1366272]Big Lake Rec Site has a fee I believe, check www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca (http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca) to confirm. 12.00 a night could add up over a moose trip.

Xpeier[/QUOTE]
You are right about the posted camp fee, [ I had a look at the link ] compared to the $300 or so to bring our truck and trailer off the island I guess $12 a night is like buying a couple more beers.

Taylor69
08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Haven't been up there in a long time. Grand parents had a cabin on the lake, beautiful area. We used to hunt deer and moose. Lots of Kokanee, some char, never caught a rainbow. May have been introduced since I was there. My uncle still goes up deer hunting sometimes. He has taken some nice 4 points. Last time I saw pics was about 5 years ago.

Rob Chipman
08-19-2013, 06:48 PM
I think Fish Lake is in Zone C, so if you don't have a moose draw there too bad. But, if you get your moose early I'd check it out. It's a great looking area, might not be the same for long, and that lake and the mountain behind it (Taseko?) look like they belong on a friggin' post card.