PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunting in the West Kootenays (HELP NEEDED PLEASE)

DPreece
08-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone!

I posted about a month ago regarding Rabbit hunting in the Kootenays and I have some follow-up questions. I have been going out to the old cascade highway (behind Rossland) up and down from the start to about the 15KM mark for about 5 nights in the last week. I am typically arriving at the base on the dirt road around 615pm and leave by around 830pm (when it starts to get just about too dark to accuratly shoot).

In the 5-6 times out, I have seen 3 rabbits. The first ran off just as I saw it, the second ran off due to a plane flying over just as I was about to take aim, and the 3rd I must have caught in the shoulder with my .22 LR from about 40 yards, but it hobbled off into the bush before I could get to it (long story short, I found the blood trail and followed it into the bush, cutting out all the weeds I could, but eventually it ended and after about 30 min, I couldnt find it).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on:

1) a better road to travel (as cascade tends to have a fair amount of traffic even around that time... maybe 2-3 cars an hour). Although please take into account that for rabbit hunting Im usually taking out my Corolla as I dont have an offroad vehicle at my disposal every night.

2) a better time of day to go out searching (as I said, I dont think I can get much later than 830pm, but I'm curious if sunrise might be better?

3) I am very confident in my .22 LR shooting accuracy, but even then, is it the right gun to be using? I would assume that anything bigger in a rifle would be too big, but I do have a 20 gauge shotgun (used for grouse) and a 12 gauge (for ducks).

If anyone has any other suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks,

Dave

RoscoeP
08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
I have shot probably well over 100 rabbits I would guess in the years I lived in NS and PEI and used a 22LR for most of them. The only times I used a shotgun was when we were hunting with dogs(beagles). I had better luck with my single shot Cooey than when I bought the Franchi semi auto 22 LR, with the single shot I waited until they stopped them aimed at there eye, with the semi it was just like a fire fight. I wasted so much ammo with the semi but it was sure fun. Maybe try the hollow points. Cheers Roscoe

DPreece
08-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks. I will def stick with my .22. I guess the main question is where else in the Rossland, Castlegar, Trail area should I try and when is the best time of the day to go?

I have shot probably well over 100 rabbits I would guess in the years I lived in NS and PEI and used a 22LR for most of them. The only times I used a shotgun was when we were hunting with dogs(beagles). I had better luck with my single shot Cooey than when I bought the Franchi semi auto 22 LR, with the single shot I waited until they stopped them aimed at there eye, with the semi it was just like a fire fight. I wasted so much ammo with the semi but it was sure fun. Maybe try the hollow points. Cheers Roscoe

solo
08-12-2013, 07:28 PM
When you spook the rabbit it will usually bolt just a short distance. Walk very slowly to the place you saw it go into cover. Stop and look, and you will likely see the bunny holding still, waiting for you to pass by. They are very patient if they think you can't see them, so move slowly, and look carefully. More scouting will reveal more places that hold rabbits. Good luck!

DPreece
08-12-2013, 08:01 PM
What time is the best time to go out for them?

Moose Guide
08-12-2013, 08:08 PM
We used to just drive the logging roads at dusk, on a good night I would expect to see 1 or 2 per mile and sometimes more!

DPreece
08-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Oh wow I wish I could find a place like that. We just got back from being out and didnt see a so single one... Seems almost impossible to see one lately :(

250 sav
08-12-2013, 08:40 PM
don't go to the same place till you find a good area. I would check different elevations and timber types, once you find a good pocket or two you will know where to look to find more. Last hour of daylight usually the best time. good luck

meathead
08-12-2013, 09:07 PM
try neptune cr

Whonnock Boy
08-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Last road on the right before you hit the number 3. Its within spitting distance of it. Seen a few in there within the first few k at the lower elevation last fall. Might be a ways to go on a wild rabbit chase. :-D

Panic
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I always found better hunting from first light to an hour after sun up than evening/ dusk hunting. Not sure if you have any areas where train lines cut across the country where you live but if you do, it's one place you should try....I never failed to find rabbit when I hunted along a rail line back home. This is Canada though, not the UK so not sure if the habitat is comparable.

DPreece
08-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Where abouts do you mean? Heading north from Rossland on 3b towards 3? Also are those roads okay for a car or do you need a truck?

Last road on the right before you hit the number 3. Its within spitting distance of it. Seen a few in there within the first few k at the lower elevation last fall. Might be a ways to go on a wild rabbit chase. :-D

DPreece
08-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Where's Nepture Cr?

try neptune cr

Whonnock Boy
08-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Where abouts do you mean? Heading north from Rossland on 3b towards 3? Also are those roads okay for a car or do you need a truck?
Head north towards Nancy Greene. I would think you should be able to travel the lower sections of that road with your car. I hope my memory is right on that note. For sure there were rabbits, that I do remember quite well. I also remember that it wasn't loaded with them, and seemed to be a little pocket of them.

DPreece
08-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Perfect thank you. Anywhere new to try is better than Cascade right now. I've had way too many dry runs there. I'll try to go check it out tomorrow night.

Head north towards Nancy Greene. I would think you should be able to travel the lower sections of that road with your car. I hope my memory is right on that note. For sure there were rabbits, that I do remember quite well. I also remember that it wasn't loaded with them, and seemed to be a little pocket of them.

DPreece
08-12-2013, 09:50 PM
I guess the only bad part is that it's a 35-40 min drive from home (Trail). But I need to get one before I go crazy. Haha

Whonnock Boy
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Good luck. I hope it pans out for you.

silvertipp
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
if you dont see any game on a road ,dont go back there ,explore the country ,travel any rd you can go down you never know what you will find

Fella
08-12-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know your area at all, but if there are any farms, it might be worth asking permission to hunt them. I know around here you can find a lot of them in the brambles and around the ditches.

bcbrez
08-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Try the Pend Oreille or Bear Creek.

DPreece
08-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Would a corolla be okay on Bear Creek Rd?

Try the Pend Oreille or Bear Creek.

monasheemountainman
08-13-2013, 08:17 AM
I always seem to find them in the same areas that hold lots of chickens, with willows along the roads and more deciduous forests. I don't shoot them, but always see them

rogerb
08-13-2013, 10:21 AM
from my limited experience bunnies tend to be in pretty short supply in the trail/rossland area. saw three the other morning but that's the first ones in half a dozen trips out so you never know when you might come across them. higher does seem better than lower from what I've seen & in our area at least, they seem to prefer roadsides in dark timber with lots of water about. some of the roads above nancy greene have that but with the corolla you'll likely be on foot as west kootenay backroads tend to be on the rough side. make sure to take a bucket with you, pick huckleberries while you're out. cascade highway and nancy greene area both have lots of them right now & you'll at least have something to take home other than memories. another longer term approach is to go out after the first few snowfalls & find the areas with the most tracks. go back next summer. I don't think they move far season to season.

DPreece
08-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Do you figure sunrise (5:30am) would be better or Sunset (8-9pm)? In about 7 trips on cascade I've seen 3 like I noted above, but of course none of them ended up in my hands. I think the biggest problem there is the traffic, however when I went last night from 6:30-8:10ish, there were no other vehicles, but also no rabbits.

from my limited experience bunnies tend to be in pretty short supply in the trail/rossland area. saw three the other morning but that's the first ones in half a dozen trips out so you never know when you might come across them. higher does seem better than lower from what I've seen & in our area at least, they seem to prefer roadsides in dark timber with lots of water about. some of the roads above nancy greene have that but with the corolla you'll likely be on foot as west kootenay backroads tend to be on the rough side. make sure to take a bucket with you, pick huckleberries while you're out. cascade highway and nancy greene area both have lots of them right now & you'll at least have something to take home other than memories. another longer term approach is to go out after the first few snowfalls & find the areas with the most tracks. go back next summer. I don't think they move far season to season.

Moose Guide
08-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Find a different road, I see few at dawn but many at dusk!

little moose
08-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Try the ski trails at the base of the paulson on highway 3, you can drive your car in about 1/2 km park and walk the more grown-in trails. Usually find them not too for from water where there is a fare amount of brush sitting on the edge of the grass.

bforce750
08-13-2013, 08:17 PM
And as far as spooking them make sure u wear full camo and face paint....wascally wabbits ...u should come to the east koots I hit three with my truck in about 1/4 mile ..no joke

DPreece
08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
No way! Where abouts? I'd kill for that!... I would actually kill. :)
And as far as spooking them make sure u wear full camo and face paint....wascally wabbits ...u should come to the east koots I hit three with my truck in about 1/4 mile ..no joke

Crazygiant
08-14-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm unsure if this helps but... I live in the Okanagan, and I find that at this time of the year, Hare's and Rabbits like the morning sunshine. In the last 2 weeks I've been going between 07:00am and 0945am and shot plenty with my .22 Savage. I even took a picture with my son and posted it on the site.

Cookie1965
08-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Hares are where you find them. Put lots of miles on, drive really slow, pay attention to the type of country where you see them, the altitude, proximity to water, time of day, types of trees and bushes etc. Once you find an area where you see them regularly get out of the truck and have a look around. Last week I was in the Similkameen and saw lots, took enough for one meal for the family but passed up a dozen more shots at least, not counting the ones I couldn't have got a shot at. One road I'd regularly see 3 or 4 in the same mile long stretch nearly every morning I went through there.

DPreece
08-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Interesting. I guess I have just been in a not so great spot. Only need seeing 1 rabbit every 2-3 times out and never really a good chance to shoot at them.

Where exactly were you. If I could take home the limit (10) then I'd consider it worth the 2-3 hour drive for sure.

Hares are where you find them. Put lots of miles on, drive really slow, pay attention to the type of country where you see them, the altitude, proximity to water, time of day, types of trees and bushes etc. Once you find an area where you see them regularly get out of the truck and have a look around. Last week I was in the Similkameen and saw lots, took enough for one meal for the family but passed up a dozen more shots at least, not counting the ones I couldn't have got a shot at. One road I'd regularly see 3 or 4 in the same mile long stretch nearly every morning I went through there.

Cookie1965
08-15-2013, 02:27 PM
I was staying in Tulameen and spent quite a bit of time driving FSRs mostly between there and the Coquihalla. Lots of hares, I saw a dozen one day and a friend of mine reportedly saw 50 plus on one drive.