PDA

View Full Version : best time for the QCI's

smeegle
08-12-2013, 03:04 PM
considering going up to the charlottes with my dad and friend this year for some scenery and deer hunting. Was just curious when the best time is to go up there for deer?

blackbart
08-12-2013, 06:07 PM
The weather gets worse the later into the season you wait. Where are you thinking of going and do you have any other activities in mind - think fishing.

brutus
08-12-2013, 06:32 PM
lol anytime

smeegle
08-12-2013, 07:23 PM
i can book any time off work and my dad is retired so any time thinking maybe late august early september for a fall fish and hunt combo?

REMINGTON JIM
08-12-2013, 08:46 PM
i can book any time off work and my dad is retired so any time thinking maybe late august early september for a fall fish and hunt combo?

Yup COHO's are in the PALLENT and the TLELL rivers then - deer are every where too . :-D RJ

brutus
08-12-2013, 08:54 PM
i dont no where your going but i have been to massett multiple times fishing for steelhead in jan and there is so many of those litle deer that its scary to drive at night there just everywhere,my body who was guiding up there(fishing)ask me one morning you want to shoot a deer today, my answer was sure,couple hrs later there was a deer in the back of the pick up lol .dont no about other part of the island but arround massett its infested

Gnarly
08-13-2013, 07:18 AM
I saw 3 bucks last night, a bear,coon and marten as well on Moresby.

Caribou_lou
08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Does anyone know if there is any decent fishing for Coho in late October?

smeegle
08-13-2013, 08:57 AM
i would love to time it with the best time to go for coho, im assume that will be in mid september?

08-13-2013, 12:19 PM
i would love to time it with the best time to go for coho, im assume that will be in mid september?

They were just starting to come into the Tlell in early September last year and they were staging at the mouth of the Copper at the same time.

Darksith
08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
anytime of year is great for the QCI, the deer are always there. So think of things like weather (not raining), fishing (off land in rivers or in boat on ocean for big springs). I love QCI in july and august. You can't beat the salmon fishing, and the weather is great too. But that place in jan is awesome for steelhead as well, its just the weather will be the shits. In the fall there is good fishing in the rivers for the spawning salmon. The best deer hunting is done from a boat in between bites from the salmon, on the bigger islands that surround the main 2. Lots of things to see there, so go when the weather is good, unless you are exclusively going to hunt, then go in the fall

pro 111
08-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know if there is any decent fishing for Coho in late October?there are fish around but pretty beat up by then 3rd week in september is the best.

scott h
08-17-2013, 05:19 PM
I'll let you know as I'm heading up to Masset in the morning with a couple of deer tags in my pocket. The saltwater chinook and coho fishing has been great up there this year as well. If you want to river fish and hunt deer in decent weather choose Sept. If you want the best shot at decent bucks choose Nov.

smeegle
08-18-2013, 10:34 AM
ok thanks! ill look forward to your report!

Marc
08-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Is it worth paying the extra money to dragging a trailer an ATV up there? who's used the ferry and what's the cost with or without a trailer?

Mike_R
08-18-2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares/pdf_format/BCF_Fares.pdf

REMINGTON JIM
08-18-2013, 11:06 AM
In 2001 the first year i went there i was 53 ft long truck & trailer it was 900.00 dollars all trips are return cost after that i went with truck and camper cost about 400.00 RJ

riflebuilder
08-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Can't wait to go there this year been on the old bucket list for years.

DartNorth
08-18-2013, 01:43 PM
A wall tent with a wood stove is better than a travel trailer. Plus it's expensive. You pay over height (even thought there is no height restrictions on the new ferries) and over length
I've been there a couple of times in the fall, and it rains a lot!. You usually end up coming back to camp wet and a wood stove is essential for comfort.
The bucks are pretty stupid the first couple of weeks of Nov. Get away from the main roads, and do some walking and you can get 4x4's or bigger. The locals make fun of Off Islanders who shoot does. My rule over there is 2 points or better. Makes it more of a challenge. If you walk the back of the cut blocks, or older grown over roads, you will be successful.
I've only hunted South Island.

riflebuilder
08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Taking the boat across and then the small boat to get to the islands. hope to find the elusive 4x4 ... is it worth taking a quad? I can crane it onto the tender boat to cruise some of the small islands.

warnniklz
08-23-2013, 02:19 PM
If anyone is over there from the 27-24th and wanna grab a brewski... I'll be over there