PDA

View Full Version : Jan 1-15 Pink mountain bison. Region A

tazruger
08-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I've been reading the forums on the site and I haven't gotten a really good idea of what and where I should be calling. My options are blueberry(pink mountain) ranch, tomters, or staying at the motor inn in pink mountain. It's late in the year so there won't be much light so I'm leaning towards the inn because of the warm shower and ability to buy a cooked meal at night. We wouldn't have to wake up very early to get the hunting area due to the short days. I'm thinking of paying the fee to go through the ranch because it should make it easier? Also once I pay the fee once, am I able to go through the ranch the rest of the hunt hassle free? I'm thinking it will be me and 3 other guys. I'm going to get some snowmobiles and snowshoes and hope for the best. I have no idea though. I've read that late season hunts there might be a possibility of crossing the cypress creek? I'm new to bison hunting and I need a little bit of help before I make arrangements.

Surrey Boy
08-11-2013, 08:47 PM
I would stay in Pink Mountain personally. It seems a local sport here to defy the indians, but if you want to pay, go for it.

bridger
08-11-2013, 08:55 PM
You can access the halfway through the cypress after the river freezes and stay at the hotel. We did that on my sons hunt. Downside is lots of traveling every day and hauling sleds back an forth. Gets tiring after a week or two.
n

Krico
08-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Lots of open water when i was up this past Jan, even though it was in the -30s...had a warm stretch the week prior. The trespass fee we didn't pay more than paid for all our snowmobile fuel.

Ry151
08-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I would stay in Pink Mountain personally. It seems a local sport here to defy the indians, but if you want to pay, go for it.
Apsolutely, don't pay the trespass fee. Stay at tomters and ride around the ranch on sleds, the bison can be on the halfway trail

Rob
09-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Staying at the Inn as well for my Jan hunt. how long is the travel to where we will drop off the sleds from the motel?
thanks

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Staying at the Inn as well for my Jan hunt. how long is the travel to where we will drop off the sleds from the motel?
thanks
Roughly 35 km

One Shot
09-18-2013, 10:13 PM
We stayed at the ranch last year, it was great. It cut the travel time down each day which made it easier on the bodies, machines and equipment not having to bang on the trail each day. In turn it made us more relaxed each day. The time saved by not having to travel the trail each was used to maintain equipment, planning and talking with other hunters, properly feeding our faces, and getting a good nites sleep. It also allowed us to return to camp for a break, meal or what ever if we wanted or needed to and return from in a reasonable time. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again the folks there were great. We stayed in a cabin there and had full access to the lodge facilities as well.

scottwh
09-18-2013, 10:39 PM
I stayed at the ranch 2 years ago. It was ok, but expensive for what you get. Knowing the area now, I would just take my camper next time and travell around. For helpers to have to pay a fee is waste of money. And I hear its more this year....

wccougar
09-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi there we stayed at the ranch worth every penny to come back park the sled and your home for the night. They have wood stoves that heat up fast propane stove and we had two twin beds with mattresses and we had are own bedding. They supplied the wood it was a out house but we used a bucket and took it out to the outhouse.lol anyway we were there jan 1-15 got are two tags filled. we rented one of are sled from ft. st.john i would do it again it was a awsome sled. You known what its the hunt of a life time pay the fee stay at the ranch other hunters are there everyone was friendly watching out for one another to get back in at night great time. You can call if you want some info on where we saw heards and about some of the rivers we crossed more than glad to help it's a memory you won't forget. Do it again is a heartbeat. :)

One Shot
09-27-2013, 05:19 PM
X2 on everyone watching out for each other at the days end. If you are not in by late night other hunters will talk with each other to see if they are on a kill or possibly broke down and will go out and look for you. Always a helping hand when something breaks down as well.

Rob
09-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Changed my plans and am now booked at the ranch. Do they sell meals at the ranch?

wccougar
09-28-2013, 08:28 PM
They don'tsupply meals or they didn't when i was there, but you aren't that far from the sasquatch inn it's on the highway and they had great food and lots of baked goodies because they were also feeding a camp crew.We even had showers there. Not sure if they are still open, call up there and ask questions. You could even call pink mountain store and ask what services are in the area I did and they were helpful.

Rob
10-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Cheers. Not a big deal as were going to bring our own anyways but they charge more to stay in the lodge and I believe meals were included. We booked a cabin as its $100/night cheaper

northern fisher
10-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I've stayed at the ranch 2 years in a row...I would stay there again anytime...It may cost a bit of coin but it save's a lot of time.. People are very friendly ..

10-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Are you talking about the ranch owned by the Blueberry Reserve?

Mik
01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
It's been awefully quiet about Pink Mountain bison hunts... anyone successful lately? I heard it's been tough and very cold this year - not much snow. My nephew has a tag for the Jan 16-31 draw. Any information on where the bison might be would be greatly appreciated :-)... as we're going up regardless - taking sleds with us and staying at Pink Mtn Ranch.
Thanks,
Mik

Bou2006
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
My wife had the Dec 16-31st Draw. We managed to get up there on the 27th and hunt from the 28th to the 31st. It was fairly quiet at this time with only one other group camped part way up the valley in a wall tent. They pulled a bison out on the 29th. I am assuming they got it at the back end as they didn't have the courtesy to stop and talk on the trail. We didn't see hide nor hair until the last day when we cut the tracks of a small herd. I will post story and pics soon but wanted to give anybody heading up soon an update. I would say there was lots of snow. Not far from the ranch in the opening's it was knee deep or greater. The trail was in great shape. The coldest we saw was -27 and it probably got up to maybe -15 during the day. In my opinion perfect conditions. Good luck!

kobus
07-22-2016, 11:50 PM
Hey wccougar

would like to take you up on your offer on info for buffalo we are going on Nov 1st this year and first time

Regards
Mike

donny.brooke
07-23-2016, 04:51 AM
Did you check the dates of the last posts? wc couger hasnt been on here for a year?