PDA

View Full Version : camo shotguns

holfeldian
08-11-2013, 05:32 PM
hey y'all,
I've got a black benelli nova and was thinking about painting it to blend in to my local duck hunting area... is camo on a shotgun just a gimmic or is it actually affective...?

keoke
08-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Depends on your situation. If you are sitting in a blind I would say no, trying to sit in some grass and blend in I think it would help.

holfeldian
08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
i won't have a blind... just sitting out in some grass...

Nickchee
08-11-2013, 05:47 PM
camo helps, black is fine too. Black is a natural color, shiny isn't. Remember that your super nova has a chrome lined barrel and could possibly spook something.

TheProvider
08-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Find a piece of burlap to cover it. This way you can just spray paint the burlap to match your location. Either a piece big enough to cover you and the gun or just the gun

Foxton Gundogs
08-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Camo is a plus when you don't have the best concealment but don't paint it just go get some camo gun wrap.

f350ps
08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
I know yer gonna find this hard to believe but many,many birds have been killed with wooden stocked, blued shotguns! I know it's hard to believe but it's true! K

bridger
08-11-2013, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=f350ps;1365093]I know yer gonna find this hard to believe but many,many birds have been killed with wooden stocked, blued shotguns! I know it's hard to believe but it's

Really! How old are you? LOL!

pnbrock
08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
I'd be more worried about you hiding in the grass over your shotgun color.

heyblast
08-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Camo barrel to me would be the same as camo decoys. When the duck see's that black stick move it's to late. Spend your money on important gear like layered waterproof clothing, waders, calls, decoys.

Discoverer
08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
One of the good thing of the camo painted barrel, it doesn't get rusty as quickly as blued, the bad thing - if you'll put your gun on a ground, you'll have a hard time to find it. I know few fellas who lost their camo guns because of that.

Kudu
08-12-2013, 01:33 PM
If you are going to be shooting near the chuck, sell your blued gun and buy a camo gun - My sons 870 just needs to go near the beach and it starts rusting.

lineofsight
08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Careful with wraps that you leave on as may hold moisture... I've used a wrap that is self adhesive like tensor bandages - wrap on... wrap off...

Moe.JKU
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
If you are going to be shooting near the chuck, sell your blued gun and buy a camo gun - My sons 870 just needs to go near the beach and it starts rusting.
x2 my friends started to rust bad after a few times out, and he cleaned it and oiled it good. Mine i have dropped it in the water and i havn't had problems. i have the nova as well.

Foxton Gundogs
08-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Careful with wraps that you leave on as may hold moisture... I've used a wrap that is self adhesive like tensor bandages - wrap on... wrap off...

Spray any wrap you use with WD40 that will take care of any moisture problems I do this with all foam lined cases including my safes as well spray the foam lining down a couple of times a year it works like a dream

Lozzie
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
I have a Benelli Nova in Camo max4 and my buddy has the the Benelli Nova in black. We went out shooting clays, I was hitting about 75-85% and he hit one.... in two hours... Soooo... the answer is YES camo on your shotgun will make you a better duck hunter. Because we all know you can't kill what can't hit, believe me it's science ;)

f350ps
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Then yer using $hit oil, quit using WD40 and yer rust problems will go away! K

Kudu
08-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Never use WD40 - no place in my house let alone gun safe for that crap!

My shotguns get remoiled or break free clp'd - yet that 870 always comes up with a tinge of rust!

Foxton Gundogs
08-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Never use WD40 - no place in my house let alone gun safe for that crap!

My shotguns get remoiled or break free clp'd - yet that 870 always comes up with a tinge of rust!

Sorry but I have to disagree with you both here. I have been using WD40 as long as I remember(my Dad and Gramps introduced me to it in the late 50s) It deffinately does not replace a good oil and is not a lube, it does displace water and prevent rust. I a Model 12 Trap made in the very early 50s it has lived its life in a duck blind, both in salt and fresh water. To this day it shows not 1 rust pit or blemish. I also have a P14 that was first a fish boat gun latter sported. It to is pock mark free. they both have been treated with WD 40 as needed and stored in WD 40 impregnated cases/safes as long as I can remember. Spray your gun down let stand wipe it off clean/oil as normal the stuff works.

Dutch
08-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Crap the thing with camo guns they can be a bitch to find picking up after night flight, spent a half hour trudging around in a field looking for one, funny thing I shot a black for years never had that problem ,now where did I put those decoys.....:0

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-13-2013, 08:49 PM
It's never a bad idea to shoot what you like!

If it's camo then there you have it... Nothing wrong with a blued barrel/walnut or all black gun either. Get a high qaulity piece and take care of it properly and it will give you at least one lifetime of solid service and may well be handed down in your estate to the next generation. I've seen several guns, from Ithaca M37's to 1950's Remington Wingmasters that were blued and beautiful with no pitting or rust despite decades of hard field use which is in line with the statements of Foxton Gundogs here.

I would not recommend going out of your way to re-finish a gun that does not need a refin just to camo it up. That's my opinion Sir. It is your gun so do have it your way.

longshot
08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
We field hunt in a lot of grass fields with our black guns or blued guns. I think you might wanna consider hiding better in general if the birds can see you and the gun.

If you're sitting in a grass field just use green burlap to cover yourself and the gun. i did this just this past december for the first time. I made a $10 layout by doing this lol. Laid down 2 garbage bags, laid on that, then put the burlap over me and the gun, and wore a facemask.. I was right in the deeks and got the geese at a head severing 10 yards and well, it didn't turn out well for the geese. ;)

That's what I'd do with any colour gun. Cheers! :)

holfeldian
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
thanks for all the help guys! i don't think i'll camo my gun then... just make myself a decent layout blind!! and oil the gun regularly... as i always do