PDA

View Full Version : Rock creek white tails?

russm
08-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I recently found out my dad knows someone with some private propert we can hunt in Rock creek and I was just curious if there's a decent white tail population, any tips on hunting them would be a bonus too, thanks, Russ.

junkyard_g
08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
if your hunting private property in rock creek for whitetails you don't need tips ;-).

seriously though, whitetails are very habitual. see a buck by the apple tree at 9am, likely you'll see him there at 9am the next morning. I know where I hunt in the peace for whitetails they seem to leave the fields earlier than mulies, often already on the move before first light

Steelpulse
08-11-2013, 12:25 PM
find some sign, rubs, scrapes, deer looking areas, still hunt areas that you think the deer in and eventually you may bump one from bed or just see one, hang a stand on a trail, sit at the bottom of a tree just be in the bush you'll find one, you have huge advantage being the only one hunting them should be successful

russm
09-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Heading up there Wednesday after work for a couple days, hopefully I'll be coming back with something....anything lol it's been a couple seasons since I got my first.

Fella
09-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Buddy and I hunted black bear on some private land near rock creek. Didn't see any bears but saw a lot of white tail sign and bumped into some really nice looking bucks. They seem to like hanging out in the middle of those really thick pine stands.

paulgug
09-14-2013, 12:57 PM
There are good populations of both whitey's and Muley's. it would definitely be worth checking out buddy's property. I would think hanging a stand or sitting in a blind would be your best bet, especially if buddy's property includes open fields. Good luck

HarryToolips
09-14-2013, 02:58 PM
I got a buddy who's taken a couple nice WT bucks from his private property in Rock Crk..

sarg
09-15-2013, 12:56 PM
ya rock creek has some good # for white tails :)

russm
09-23-2013, 07:12 PM
So we went and poked around for a couple days and saw some mule does/ fawns, one spike muley buck, a bunch of coyotes and zero white tails ( unless you count the one in the back of a truck at the gas station that was shot in cranbrook) also saw an elk go by in the back of a pick up, not the most eventful hunt but better than working and we did a lot more hiking than previous trips since my dad was able to get himself in better shape this year, you definetly do see more than when you're road hunting.

4 point
09-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Drove thru Rock Creek last Thursday. Saw quite a few deer along the highway and in folks yards all muley's.

sarg
09-23-2013, 08:19 PM
So we went and poked around for a couple days and saw some mule does/ fawns, one spike muley buck, a bunch of coyotes and zero white tails ( unless you count the one in the back of a truck at the gas station that was shot in cranbrook) also saw an elk go by in the back of a pick up, not the most eventful hunt but better than working and we did a lot more hiking than previous trips since my dad was able to get himself in better shape this year, you definetly do see more than when you're road hunting.
where did u end up in rock creek??

5 spike
09-23-2013, 08:31 PM
There are good populations of both whitey's and Muley's. it would definitely be worth checking out buddy's property. I would think hanging a stand or sitting in a blind would be your best bet, especially if buddy's property includes open fields. Good luck

yep like paulgug said blind or stand open fields whiteys love it morning and evening early season.

russm
09-24-2013, 05:09 AM
Buddies property was on the grand forks end of town looks like it'd be some good property to hunt but maybe later in the season....

Numenor604
10-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Hey guys . Sorry to bump such an old thread . But I'm up here -rock creek by myself for the weekend . First time up this way . I've put in a day and a half up Ingram creek .. walking the fsrs and spurs mostly .. only saw some muley does ... would love to run into some WT... am I in the right spot. Plz help me out if u can. Thanks guys !

walks with deer
10-21-2017, 10:25 PM
drive like hell tell you see whitetail...

then make camp. then hunt around there...

john-brennan
10-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Go late they migrate out of the Christian valley to that area when the snow gets deep, we used to go late November and did well.

wideopenthrottle
10-27-2017, 06:41 AM
Hey guys . Sorry to bump such an old thread . But I'm up here -rock creek by myself for the weekend . First time up this way . I've put in a day and a half up Ingram creek .. walking the fsrs and spurs mostly .. only saw some muley does ... would love to run into some WT... am I in the right spot. Plz help me out if u can. Thanks guys !
if mostly mules you are likely too high or too far from low areas...al least that is my experience there...go up on the first benches 1-2 k away from farm fields for does and the nearest higher bench for where the bucks tend to go...(in my limited experience up that way)

Dad and son
10-31-2017, 10:05 PM
This is my rule, if you want mulies go as high as you can, if you want white tail, go as low as you can. If you are seeing mule deer, find a lower elevation spot to hunt