PDA

View Full Version : Help a Newbie Out? Land and quartering deer

KnifeGuy
08-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping that those who are more experienced can help me clarify a couple questions. First is about land that can be hunted. As far as I understand it, private land of any variety needs permission to be hunted. Leases can be hunted provide there is no activity like grazing or logging, but require permission otherwise. Licenced lots can be hunted without permission because the holder has no right to the land only to what is on it. So any crown land can be hunted as long as its not a lease? Sorry if this has been asked, I did do a forum search to try and find an answer.

Second, when quartering deer I get that evidence of sex must be left attached to one quarter, but can said evidence of sex be skinned out still? I read the regs as only needing the antlers (in case of a male), but I realize there has been heated debate on this. Finally, do you think a quartered mule deer with shanks removed will fit in a 60 quart cooler?

Many thanks for any input!

Alec
08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
The head will be proof of age class, species, as well as 'antlered', as sex of cervids is not a criteria (although most antlered animals are male). Genitalia is not required. The rest of the animal can be boned out so it will easily fit in your cooler.

markt308
08-16-2013, 01:41 PM
you're from kamloops? Theres so much great crown land around there you won't need to dabble with private land at all! If you really want you can always ask a farmer for permission like you said. but theres tons of great area where you are.
Unless you are packing a big deer out a long ways you usually won't quater a mule deer or whitey. Elk/moose is different story! After you gut your deer you and a buddy should be able to drag it to a road without breaking your backs too bad. some guys do the guttless method which requires quartering. I personally havnt tried that but some guys swear by it! Don't be afraid to ask questions on here. Theres some great guys that will offer you some priceless advice. And welcome to the site!

markt308
08-16-2013, 01:44 PM
You can skin out his nuts and pecker if you want haha. some guys just tie a little plastic bag around that area to keep the hair from falling all over the animal while its hanging. BUT, do not forget to leave a little patch of hair for i.d somewhere on the animal. I usually leave it around the ankle area but each to there own.