PDA

View Full Version : Sol Escape Bivy

rcar
08-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Wondering if anyone has used one.

I am considering this for my pack. I have done a few day trips that went really late and I probably should have stayed on the mountain for the night. I have a super lightweight mini sleeping bag that I throw in the pack for emergency but I would probably freeze if I actually had to use it. I am thinking this might be a perfect companion to the mini bag.

uraarchr
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Have one but have never used it.always in my pack.

shottyshooter
08-10-2013, 02:03 PM
I bought the escape too but have not slept in it. It seems worlds tougher than the other two and I did crawl in and thrash around for awhile to see how it was after I bought it.

It was a curiosity purchase that seems to be useful. I would investigate the more expensive bag vapour liners that you can get, they may be more durable. I think that The escape would work well inside your light sleeping bag because it would be bolstered by the bag. I haven't put a bag inside it yet but I would be concerned about how much room it has and the increased pressure on the seems.

I'm currently packing the escape and a cheap sheet/ bag liner as my emergency plan.

keoke
08-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I watched solo hunters and Remy on the show was high country mule deer hunting and he just slept in his clothes and the sol bivy. He said it was going to drop below freezing one of the nights he spent. I have one in my pack.

RiverOtter
08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
The SOL bivy I bought was complete JUNK, though I'm not sure what model it was. Paid about $30 bucks for it, and it tore open the first time I tried it out, thankfully at home, before I actually had to depend on it. A black Hefty bag would have been leaps and bounds better........