PDA

View Full Version : CB radio installation and use question

weiss
08-10-2013, 09:58 AM
hello everybody. Just happened to buy Cobra CB radio on a garage sale for 10$. I don't know why did I buy it, seemed like something good to have and it was only 10$. I am wondering if I can tee off of the radio antenna to connect this CB or do I need a separate aerial for this. Also, I wonder if anybody use CB radio, because I never had one before, and what would be the mainstream of its use. Can I communicate with loggers or is it outside of those 40 channels on CB radio? It just happened that I got stuck more than once on logging road because of active logging. Anyways, anything you feel would be useful for a total CB radio noob - dump it right here.

Jagermeister
08-10-2013, 10:11 AM
No you can't communicate with loggers. Totally different frequency range.
CB radios were the rage 35 or 40 years ago. Breaker breaker 10-04 10-09 .
Cell phones made them obsolete and with the introduction of GMRS, CB faded into obscurity.
Oh well, it was only $10 and when you have a garage sale, you can sell it for $5.

Mikey Rafiki
08-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Is it a true CB or a VHF? Many people still call them CB's when they are not.

landphil
08-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Is it a true CB or a VHF? Many people still call them CB's when they are not.

40 channel cobra most likely is indeed a CB.

Gun Dog
08-10-2013, 01:16 PM
I am wondering if I can tee off of the radio antenna to connect this CB or do I need a separate aerial for this.Just think -- your radio is designed to pick up milliwatts of power over the air and you want to blast 4 watts from the CB into it. I'm wondering if it would smoke or simply making a popping sound. You need a separate CB antenna and then you need to tune it with an SWR meter (which might be built into the CB).

Moe.JKU
08-10-2013, 01:51 PM
better to get a different one i have heard guys doing that and messing their stereos as well.
Firestick makes a good one, that isn't ridiculously long or flexy.
I know most of the jeep guys i fun with are all on cobra's. with 3' or 4' firesticks.
I have heard of people getting a hold of loggers in some areas. But like stated before mostly on a different frequency which is posted on the bottom of the trailhead usually.

reach
08-10-2013, 02:01 PM
On the other hand, anyone can legally install and use a CB ("Citizens' Band") radio, but a VHF requires a license.

weiss
08-10-2013, 02:07 PM
thank you for reply everybody. Garage sales, a lot of beutiful junk. Saw video cameras (two of them) that take full size video cassette, for 1$. With original carry bags and all the extras, belts and cables. Cameras are big though , shoulder mount mid-80's era, like 5lbs each.

Back to our sheep (CB radio), I wonder if at least weather channels, info and emergency channels are still being used these days? Would like to know, before I thrown it into my junk pile in a garage. BTW I picked up antenna for another 10$ with cables and brackets. Scratchin my head now, wether it is worth drilling holes in my beautiful truck.

Gun Dog
08-10-2013, 02:26 PM
The first question is "does it actually work?" Electronics degrade over time whether they're used or not. Ideally it would go to a shop where they can check the frequencies and power output. Or just hook it up and see what happens. The antenna needs a good ground plane so you should clamp it to the roof rack or something.

E.V.B.H.
08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
I thought that the licence was a thing of the past? Pretty sure anyone can use VHF now, am I Wrong?

Kudu
08-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Run the attena up a tree and wire the CB to a 12v power source, wait until evening and start scanning - you will be amazed at what you come across.

You may want to get hold of another for a tenner and mount that one in the truck - mobile and base - many many folk still do this today.

reach
08-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I thought that the licence was a thing of the past? Pretty sure anyone can use VHF now, am I Wrong?
I could easily be wrong (haven't been paying much attention lately) but I thought the *operator* license was gone, but the *equipment* still has to be licensed.

noahs ark
08-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I would say almost all off road trucks have VHF and CB.
At least the ones I've always operated did before I came back into town to work.

GotaGun
08-10-2013, 09:40 PM
VHF you need a license to use , you are allowed to have one without the "MIC" hooked up to use as a scanner, some guys still use the CB for 4 wheeling cause it will work where cell phones won't.<BR>as far as for boats they're limited to there VHF channels and are OK with it cause of safety concerns to get a hold of coastgaurd etc,<BR>me myselft get those small handheld VHF walkie talkies they work good and find ones that take the AAA batteries instead of the rechargeable style.

BTW= get your little VHF and GPS, and flashlight to all run the same size battery then in emergency everything interchanges the same battery

weiss
08-10-2013, 09:41 PM
okay, a lil update. Radio works, I hooked up antenna and power and once in a while there was a few radio exchanges that I could hear. No time to surf, but at least I figured the way of installing it without too much drilling involved. Base and mobile - I was actually thinking about exactly that. For hunting AND long days shopping in huge malls. Cellphones work fine, but when we are in states it is 2$ a minute

Johnny G1
08-10-2013, 09:57 PM
You best get and tune with a swr meter or you will burn out the finals in the radio, a good match for attena and radio should be 1-1 or no more than a 1-2 match.

weiss
08-11-2013, 06:27 AM
feller who sold me this radio also has swr, but he wanted 20$ for it. At the time it didn't make sense buying 10$ radio and investinginto swr. Maybe I should talk to him about borrowing it for half a day. Where else can I get one, who sells them?

Johnny G1
08-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Your best bet is to have a pro set it up for you, most radio shops have swr and can check it in a couple minutes.

Mountaintop
08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
If you know anyone who is a ham radio operator they probably have an SWR meter and should be able to help you tune your antenna. It's not that hard to do.

weiss
08-22-2013, 06:40 AM
this quickly turns into a hobby on its own. All I am reading on lately is waves propagation, antenna designs, peaking out the transmitters etc. Already have 4 older CB radio's.

reach
08-22-2013, 11:54 AM
You should keep an eye out for a copy of the ARRL handbook. Lots of good reading there if you're interested in that sort of thing.

GWP_Crazy
08-25-2013, 01:05 AM
Next you need a 2 meter radio.. As for the CB's more folks use em then others think..