PDA

View Full Version : Can someone without a hunting license accompany a hunter during a hunt?

caddisguy
08-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Greetings. Long time flyfisher and shooting and first time hunter. I am wondering if a non-hunter is permitted to accompany a hunter during a hunt. I do not really have a hunting partner, so I would like to bring along a friend who is into hiking and nature photography, knows first aid, etc. As long as they are not helping me--other than being quiet and a second pair of eyes for predators/hazards--will we run into any problems? I will likely be focusing on regions 2-2 and 2-18, looking for a buck.

Trapper
08-09-2013, 11:03 AM
You can take anyone with you on a hunt ,as long as there not shooting. they can help you with the animal such as packing or gutting., glassing or what ever. good luck

Jelvis
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
You should have a hunting license yourself first btw haha. A valid up 2 date one, ok lol. Jel ..

doubled
08-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Of course, you can have anybody, even the jellyfish.

caddisguy
08-09-2013, 12:57 PM
You can take anyone with you on a hunt ,as long as there not shooting. they can help you with the animal such as packing or gutting., glassing or what ever. good luck

That is great news. And bonus that I can put them to work too!

bccanadian
08-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Just make sure you don't have 2 rifles with you in case the CO's stop by. It would be kind of hard to say that he isn't hunting under those circumstances. Sure you could possibly win in court but do you want to expend the time and expense?

birosj
08-10-2013, 08:55 AM
A second rifle isn't a bad idea for a backup in case your main stick breaks. But have it with it's trigger lock on, in a case and out of quick access. In the trunk, behind the seat etc.

mac
08-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Hope this helps!

Initiation Licence Effective April 1, 2013, the new Initiation Hunting Licence for first time hunters aged 18 or older will be in effect. The requirements to complete CORE and to hold a Hunter Number Card are waived for this one-time-only licence.
It is anticipated the new licence will be available at Service BC locations and local vendors no later than March 20, 2013.
The initiation hunting licence is a new type of mentoring licence that allows a person 18 years or older who has never previously held a hunting licence in B.C. to try hunting for a one-year period. It is a one-time-only licence.
Government is introducing the new licence at $19.00 ($15.00 licence fee plus $4.00 Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation surcharge).
To be eligible for the initiation hunting licence, a person:

must be a B.C. resident,
must be 18 years or older,
must not have held a B.C. hunting licence in the past, with the exception of a youth (junior) hunting licence, and
must be under the close personal supervision of a licensed adult who satisfies the qualifications to be a supervising hunter.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/#initiation

treehugger
08-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Or your buddy can carry your gun and you can just call him your gunbearer. This might only work if you're hunting your private estate... chances are the COs won't be bothering you there anyway...

treehugger
08-10-2013, 11:19 AM
That's great info mac. Sounds like a good way to get someone's feet wet.

caddisguy
08-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Hope this helps!

Initiation Licence

Effective April 1, 2013, the new Initiation Hunting Licence for first time hunters aged 18 or older will be in effect. The requirements to complete CORE and to hold a Hunter Number Card are waived for this one-time-only licence.
It is anticipated the new licence will be available at Service BC locations and local vendors no later than March 20, 2013.
The initiation hunting licence is a new type of mentoring licence that allows a person 18 years or older who has never previously held a hunting licence in B.C. to try hunting for a one-year period. It is a one-time-only licence.
Government is introducing the new licence at $19.00 ($15.00 licence fee plus $4.00 Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation surcharge).
To be eligible for the initiation hunting licence, a person:

must be a B.C. resident,
must be 18 years or older,
must not have held a B.C. hunting licence in the past, with the exception of a youth (junior) hunting licence, and
must be under the close personal supervision of a licensed adult who satisfies the qualifications to be a supervising hunter.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/#initiation

That is great about the Initiator Hunting License. I had read about the plans for it, but did not realize it was already available. In my case, my company will not be able to take advantage of it because of the following:

"the person must have held a hunting licence in B.C. (other than an initiation hunting licence) or a licence to hunt elsewhere in not fewer than 3 of any of the licence years preceding the current licence year (or be exempted from holding a licence)"

(I just got my license)

I will just be sure to only bring one rifle and that only I handle it to eliminate any risk of accusations. I know most of the CO's are good folks, but there are the occasional overzealous ones or those who are not aware of the laws themselves. I have been searched at road blocks a few times in 2-2 and 2-18 and it when from "I'm going to look in your vehicle to make sure the guns aren't loaded" to "That magazine is illegal because it is not pinned" and I had to explain that there is no capacity limit for rimfire and my plinker is legal :D

mac
08-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks for pointing out the three year minimum thing. This is just the fourth season for me too so there is still much to learn.

As far as the CO's go, we always try to be pretty conscious how we go about hunting to make sure we don't cross any lines... we pretty much try and give them the least amount of stuff which they could get hung up on. This usually results in a pretty quick check and we try and be ready for it. I respect what they do. So far other than a motherly lesson about some lunchtime beers beside our "high power rifles", our checks really seemed quick and painless. I told them that my wife packed the beers for a good laugh, and that there was no option in bringing the uneaten lunch back home lol.

olympia
08-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I was under the impression your buddy can carry the firearm because he under your supervision for wilderness carry purposes but cannot shoot any animals,

GotaGun
08-11-2013, 04:22 PM
always good to have second person with you,
think you would have less problems with the CO's if he was carrying say a shotgun with buckshot in it (defense) and you your rifle or bow as the "hunter"

mountainman
08-12-2013, 07:41 AM
I was stopped last year on the Muskwa and asked if I was hunting (party I was with was, I was camping and fishing and helping) still had my rifle with me, part of an elk in the boat, CO asked to see the rifle and who's elk it was and continued on to the rest of the party no more questions asked. Unless they can prove that the OP is hunting or have a strong suspicion of it then you won't have any issues even if your partner is carrying a rifle.

hart
08-12-2013, 10:01 AM
then you won't have any issues even if your partner is carrying a rifle.

As long as he has a firearms licence.

mountainman
08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
As long as he has a firearms licence.

Actually you are incorrect as long as the person is under direct supervision of a person with a license then there is no need for them to have a firearm license themselves by law.

hart
08-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Actually you are incorrect as long as the person is under direct supervision of a person with a license then there is no need for them to have a firearm license themselves by law.

That means they would always have to be together or side by side while he has the rifle.