PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Salmon Fishing Help

Quantafer
08-09-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm heading for my first salmon fishing trip next week and thought I'd see if I could get any advice. Most advice will be appreciated :-D

08-09-2013, 10:00 AM
where you going? in your own boat?

Quantafer
08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Hakai pass by Bella Bella. I won't be fishing my own boat. They are 17' Boston Whalers and the lodge fishes almost exclusively herring cut plugs.

Weatherby Fan
08-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Hakai pass by Bella Bella. I won't be fishing my own boat. They are 17' Boston Whalers and the lodge fishes almost exclusively herring cut plugs.

guided or unguided ?

08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
If you havent cut plugged before i would be reading as much as i could about it. If its guided dont worry the guide will gett'er done.

Cut plugging is a tactic that i have just never figured out. I was a guide for a fair chunk of time and we never cutplugged. Though a good friend of mine that is all they do. So, i cant help you on the "How to cut plug" much more then it is tricky to do right.

BUT! you want to fish right along the kelp beds, when you get there you will see where everyone id going. The lodge at minimum, if your trip is non guided they should at least show you a few spots and give you a run down on tactic.

Good luck!
And bring a Purple Glow Hot spot and a clear 'Chovie teaser head with some 40lb mono for back up! lol

heyblast
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
What's the name of the lodge.

Weatherby Fan
08-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Nothing wrong with cut plug herring,I found that when whole herring are to big for Coho the cut plug seems to be a little more effective at hooking fish,
If I'm targeting springs on the troll and they are not feeding aggressively I also found that your more likely to hook fish with cut plug herring,but generally use whole herring for the most part.

Speed is where I find the major difference for springs and coho, Springs I troll at 1.5-2.5 mph but for coho I found that soon as you got to 3mph or more the activity really picks up,

If your free spooling or mooching stick with whole herring !

K-1
08-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Go with what the lodge recommends, it's their backyard & they make money doing it.

Weatherby Fan
08-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Go with what the lodge recommends, it's their backyard & they make money doing it.

Thats good advice,the lodge I go to is non guided but have an exceptional handbook of where and how to for that area,not to mention they are constantly sharing info on the radio,
the lodge will do everything they can to help you have a great experience as they want you back.

levind
08-09-2013, 01:15 PM
I've been to one of the rivers inlet do it yourself lodges and they where ok the one thing i would do different if i did it again was to bring my own hooks. i found the ones they supply to be very bad quality and when you have a salmon on the other end you dont want to loose them but it could have just been my experience.

Quantafer
08-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm going to http://www.joessalmonlodge.com/ there are guides available, but it is essentially non-guided. I will probably take one out for a half day just to get some information. I've never cut plugged so that's some good advice to research it. I've got my handheld gps so I'll definitely get that speed dialed in. Any advice for getting bottom fish after my salmons all full?

These are some great tips.

Quantafer
08-09-2013, 02:29 PM
levind - what size/type of hooks should i be looking for?

f350ps
08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
I always use 5/0 Gammies and brine the herring first! Good luck! K

heyblast
08-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Checked the site and looks like the boats are properly equipped. I was to a lodge in that area and the boats had next to nothing and you had to bring your own rain gear. Definitely take the GPS and mark the lodge and mark your tracks, sea fog can roll-in in seconds. I'd take some good hooks like mentioned as well as some leader material and if your under allowed luggage weight throw a package of frozen octopus in for bottom fishing, tough and stays on the hook better. Good luck and have fun.

Rhyno
08-09-2013, 04:30 PM
As others have mentioned bring your own leaders tied up with gamies. I have done my fair share of cut plugging, my advice is stick tight and I mean tight to shore or the kelp bed, what ever structure you are fishing. I would recommend picking up a few pro trolls. No need to cut the herring and produces the prefect roll.

We want to see some pictures when you get back....Good Luck!

REMINGTON JIM
08-09-2013, 05:17 PM
No need to cut plug herring just hook it up right and you will have a good Roll ! Use the Small herring for Coho's ! The bottom fish ALL like herring too so thats really the only bait you need - also the Coho belly's are Great for Halis ! Good Luck :-D Cheers RJ

Piperdown
08-10-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm going to http://www.joessalmonlodge.com/ there are guides available, but it is essentially non-guided. I will probably take one out for a half day just to get some information. I've never cut plugged so that's some good advice to research it. I've got my handheld gps so I'll definitely get that speed dialed in. Any advice for getting bottom fish after my salmons all full?

These are some great tips.

Say hi to Clay Nygard from Mike Johns, he is one of the owners great guy, we grew up together in Surrey, just ask him about fishing there and he will steer you in the right direction. Have a great trip.

dougthefisher
08-12-2013, 02:34 PM
another good tool to take is a compass. even with gps it is hard not to go in circles especially going slow.

Quantafer
08-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Big thanks to all the great advice and tips. I landed this 39 lb hog and won the derby!

Quantafer
08-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Problems getting the picture.. Lets try this

heyblast
08-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Ive been wondering how your trip went. Lets hear it.