PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been in the Skagit this summer

heatherdaddy
08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
I was there about 2 weeks ago and lots of active logging now. I did see a couple of does but nothing else. Anybody else been there?

MuleyStalker
08-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I was up there August long weekend. I didn't see any deer however I did see lots of fishermen but I believe that there is no open season on them.

caddisguy
08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I was over there about 2 weeks ago and lots of active logging now. I did see a couple of does but nothing else. Anybody else been there?

I pretty much live out there 2-3 days a week from late July until late September. I was over there last weekend and the previous one for flyfishing. Last weekend I saw a doe on the side of the road. As I got closer, it decided to go for a run down the middle of the road. I followed behind it for about 15 seconds in the jeep before it ran back into the bush. I got the whole thing on my dashcam, except for about 4 seconds as it happened during the time the cam rolls over between video clips.

The week prior I was heading up one of the trails to my favorite plinking spot. It was a little later in the evening. I was going to hang out there until the sun went down so I could see the view of the stars, as it is high up and wide open. As I got close to where the trail ends, a black bear ran across the area which is normally my backstop. It didn't show up as good on the dashcam because it was still about 150m away.

I actually am just in the process of getting my hunting license. I passed the CORE and now I am just waiting for my hunter number. I'm pretty excited about trying my luck in 2-2 and 2-18 this season.

digger dogger
08-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Ya, half of the hunters in Greater Vancouver, have been in there this summer too!!!!

redthorn
08-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I admire your persistence in this valley.

heatherdaddy
08-11-2013, 08:02 PM
I was actually out there taking the kids for a drive when i saw the does. I wasnt planning on hunting there this year till I saw the does. Then I thought maybe on opening weekend I will give a shot as there is new clear cuts to check out.

keoke
08-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Those bucks are up up up early season. Only thing that will bring them down is the rut and snow.

caddisguy
08-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Those bucks are up up up early season. Only thing that will bring them down is the rut and snow.

That makes sense. I have only ever seen three bucks in about 15 years of frequent visits to the Skagit Valley late July to end of September. That said, I've been up a dozen deactivated trails that go up pretty darn high before they are washed out. I just remember seeing a whole lot of bear piles everywhere. Though at the time I was just having fun driving over trenches and other obstacles, customizing the paint with tree branch marks rather than looking for deer signs. These trails usually end up ending with the path being washed out and sideways on terrain that would be sketchy for even hiking further. I'm thinking on average they probably get you up another 200-400M in elevation from the main road, but I'm guessing this isn't up up up enough?

I will likely be there for the opening week/weekend enjoying the flyfishing while everyone else is off hunting in more viable places or chasing pinks in the fraser/vedder. I might set myself up one morning at a spot that looks decent--in my inexperienced eyes--and see if a buck or any critters want to join me for coffee. If anyone sees someone looking clueless and horribly out of place, there is a good chance it will be me. I'll probably just end up hanging out with my unwanted friend yogie, stroking a 30-06 and mumbling "my precious" for a few hours until I drive back down to chase rainbows in the river.

Fella
08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I've been to skagit once and I couldn't wait to leave.

Paulyman
08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Probably one of the worst areas ever for Mosquitos.
I've been to skagit once and I couldn't wait to leave.

BlackOwL
08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
The logging company is Tamihi, they drive like hell and trow to My truck some rocks and left marks on the hood and side of My truck, I complained t ICBC but the Tamihi guys denied ever damaging My vehicle and ICBC said they couldn't do nothing, I told them that the truck who damaged My vehicle had NO mud flaps and this is illegal, ICBC responded that I could make a claim but paying the deductible, How nice for them #@&%...
In regards to You Q, Mind the 400 mts shooting restriction from the RD. and pay special attention before shooting make sure of Your target and beyond.

Papa Sasquatch
08-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Nice place for a long hike, family pic-nic in the wild, camping, cycling and such. Close to civilisation! If nice is what you are after, Silver Skagit is nice but there is also a gravel site on the road side with plenty of dead shot-gun shells.

heatherdaddy
08-14-2013, 07:03 AM
I will most likely try it on opening weekend and see what I can scare up. I dont mind the hike up some of roads. I just wish they would produce something besides bear crap and lack of breath.