PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shipping and Handling Backpack Man!

shottyshooter
08-08-2013, 11:55 PM
I've been engaging in the great backpack debate lately and I was almost decided when I thought I'd see if/how much tax they applied when ordering from Mystery Ranch. I was a bit shocked when the shipping popped up at almost $200 or the economy for $170. (It shows no tax - is that right?)

I checked Eberlestock and they were coming in at $89 for shipping.

I was basically decided on the crew cab and accessories but the Warhammer/Blue Widow looks a bit more attractive now.

I!m upgrading from an 18 year old Rockwater Designs pack ($189) that has some abrasions and seems that are pulling apart. My intent to splurge on some quality, hunting "specific" gear is at a standstill now. I guess I'll check out WSS or Cabelas for something like the CC...

Any recommendations on what I may want to look at that is a transformer (daypack, meat hauler & expedition pack all in one). I was stretching my budget up past the $500 mark for good gear but a CC with some pockets for almost $800 plus god knows what else at the border isn't doable right now.

digger dogger
08-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Try seeing what the shipping costs are to Ship Happens in Sumas.
Might be worth walking the 2 blocks to pick it up...

shottyshooter
08-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Try seeing what the shipping costs are to Ship Happens in Sumas.
Might be worth walking the 2 blocks to pick it up...

Both companies won't ship to "freight forwarders" due to fraud...

I punched in a Washington address and it was still around $100 for MR

Gateholio
08-09-2013, 04:26 AM
Is it UPS? They are pricey. Maybe call them and ask about it.

longstonec
08-09-2013, 05:09 AM
I have a Blue Widow and its pretty good for a big day pack/midsize deer meat carrier. But I got it from a canadian company,(Rhymes with no sale sports) on sale... and since they took such a long time to ship everything they didnt charge me for shipping.

Ship Happens is very easy deal with if you can talk company into shipping there.

adriaticum
08-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Shipping is where many make their money.
Be careful.

allan
08-09-2013, 07:21 AM

I just ordered From MR and they had no problem shipping to an address in Sumas. ( my bag is still on its way though)
My shipping price was $21, wa taxes $66. Best is to phone them and talk to a real person.

KodiakHntr
08-09-2013, 08:26 AM
You might save on the shipping, but you'll lose in the long (or not so long) run. Eberlestock isn't even in the same league as MR.....

Wrongside
08-09-2013, 09:32 AM
I have discussed MR's UPS or FedEx only shipping policy with them, several times over the last few months. They don't seem willing to go back to shipping USPS. I told them it will cost them a pile of Canadian business. Hopefully they will offer more shipping options in the future, cause I'd like to order a bunch of stuff, but refuse to be ripped off by UPS ever again...

shottyshooter
08-09-2013, 10:54 AM
What have you guys been charged at the border? I like to shop local as long as local has what I need so I'm not sure what the charges are...

If it's made in the USA is it free trade meaning no duty? What about our taxes?

albravo2
08-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I bought 2 MR packs earlier this year and shipped them to my mailbox in Blaine. MR had no problem with the address and customs waved me through. Technically you should pay GST (not an import duty) but 9 times out of 10 I've been admitted without paying GST if I've had less than $1000 in goods.

Sumas is closer for you but I recommend Pacific Mail and Parcel if you are over in Blaine.

/a

Superdeuce
08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Shotty,

Go on the Alberta Outdoorsman forum and buy the lightly used MR Crewcab bag with daypak lid from "Rum". I sold it to him recently and is a good bag but he ended up with two.

Then google up Rampart International (in Canada) and buy a brand new NICE frame on sale for $182 CDN$ plus a flat $10 shipping!! They don't list the Crewcab bag or 6500/7500 bags online, but they could no doubt get them in for you if as well if you contacted them. I just recently found out about them and they are the only Canadian retailer of MR that I am aware of so I think it is within the forum rules to post it here? Will save you a bundle over buying direct from MR as they will only ship UPS.

You only want to ship USPS whenever buying from USA. UPS, Fedex, etc will gouge you on brokerage handling fees whereas USPS is a flat $10 rate.

Good luck

Gun Dog
08-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I have a lot of stuff shipped to Sumas. The only time I have a problem is when I can't input a Canadian billing address (or once it wouldn't accept a PO Box). It's the brokerage fees that kill you with UPS and FedEx but if you pick a more expensive (faster) shipping option then it's often included. I have no idea why shipping a backpack is so expensive. I've gotten use to free shipping with Amazon.

f350ps
08-09-2013, 01:34 PM

When you ship something to a freight forwarder don't tell the supplier, just your name and their address on the package. If its made in the U.S. then the worst thing that can happen at the border is they'll make you pay the tax. K

Displaced Nova Scotian
08-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Then google up Rampart International (in Canada) and buy a brand new NICE frame on sale for $182 CDN$ plus a flat $10 shipping!! They don't list the Crewcab bag or 6500/7500 bags online, but they could no doubt get them in for you if as well if you contacted them. I just recently found out about them and they are the only Canadian retailer of MR that I am aware of so I think it is within the forum rules to post it here? Will save you a bundle over buying direct from MR as they will only ship UPS.
You only want to ship USPS whenever buying from USA. UPS, Fedex, etc will gouge you on brokerage handling fees whereas USPS is a flat $10 rate.
Good luck

Just as Superdeuce has mentioned I checked out Rampart International and had a quote for a MR Nice frame and 7500 bag. They were just placing an order of 12 bags to them and could have the bag I wanted to my door within 2 weeks however the price tag was going to be $893.01. With this kind of pricing my face does the :evil: look and I have to ask why. The long and the short of it is, until they make a large order from MR (which they will be doing sometime in the future, before MR no long allows Canadian sales (according to Rampart International's representative)) they can't get the price down too much.

The RI rep did say that he'd bet by the time I paid for brokerage fees etc I would be paying this price for the product...

sheephunterab
08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
I have a lot of stuff shipped to Sumas. The only time I have a problem is when I can't input a Canadian billing address (or once it wouldn't accept a PO Box). It's the brokerage fees that kill you with UPS and FedEx but if you pick a more expensive (faster) shipping option then it's often included. I have no idea why shipping a backpack is so expensive. I've gotten use to free shipping with Amazon.

Part of the brokerage fee is GST which you'd have to likely pay regardless of how it was shipped to Canada but the remainder is just highway robbery. If a company won't ship USPS, it doesn't get my business.

shottyshooter
08-09-2013, 04:05 PM
I checked out Rampart and they only charge $35 shipping but their mark up made it more than buying direct fromMR and paying FedEx.

I liked the idea of buying the Cadillac but I may just stick with a local place if they get the Blue Widows or Warhammers in because It will be a few years before my family situation will really allow enough use to justify the cost.

There is a local place that was selling used ILBE packs for around $200... Made/designed by Arc'teryx and supposed to be a comfortable frame/harness.

LOL! Kinda funny that I can pick that up for the cost of shipping a MR!

PointMan
08-09-2013, 04:13 PM
I cheaped out and ordered this guy at aliexpress.com, $30 for the pack and $15 for shipping. The value it at $5 and send it as a gift to save hassles with customs. I've had friends use these guys with no problems. The bag looks good for my purposes, we'll see if its earned the reviews or not once I get it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/253665895.html

08-09-2013, 04:31 PM
If your looking at high end packs why not check out the shipping on Kifaru or Stone Glacier, both US made and great packs.

Superdeuce
08-09-2013, 06:11 PM
I checked out Rampart and they only charge $35 shipping but their mark up made it more than buying direct fromMR and paying FedEx.

You should check Rampart again.... They advertise right on the banner on their main page "$10 flat rate shipping in Canada"
http://shop.rampartcorp.com/

They also have the NICE frame on sale for $182... So that will be about $215 to your door as opposed to $250 + tax, shipping, customs from MR.... You won't beat that. Rampart's upcharge must only be for bags they do not have in stock online that they need to order in.
http://shop.rampartcorp.com/product_p/nice-old-no-bvs.htm

Like I said earlier, if you want a Crewcab bag, their is a lightly used one for sale with an additional daypak lid (which are about $90 from MR) on the AB hunting forum so with the new frame and all you would be within your price point.

Superdeuce
08-09-2013, 06:33 PM
If your looking at high end packs why not check out the shipping on Kifaru or Stone Glacier, both US made and great packs.

x2. From everything I have read, it sounds like they are right there with MR and are arguably the top 3 if you want a serious hunting pack for the backcountry. Kifaru I know will USPS but they are a 6-8 week lead time so that's an issue if you want it for this season.

No insult intended Pointman, but you can't seriously even discuss a $30 backpack in the same thread...apples and bananas. If you want to do it on a budget and you are only going to be doing dayhunts or just a couple nights, I suggest starting with just the external frame and a load sling (MR has one for $65) and dumping any old daypak or duffle bag inside the load sling (a waterproof roll top bag works good for this too). Buy the big bag for the frame next year or when funds allow.

Elkaddict
08-09-2013, 06:45 PM
You should check Rampart again.... They advertise right on the banner on their main page "$10 flat rate shipping in Canada"
http://shop.rampartcorp.com/

They also have the NICE frame on sale for $182... So that will be about $215 to your door as opposed to $250 + tax, shipping, customs from MR.... You won't beat that. Rampart's upcharge must only be for bags they do not have in stock online that they need to order in.
http://shop.rampartcorp.com/product_p/nice-old-no-bvs.htm

Like I said earlier, if you want a Crewcab bag, their is a lightly used one for sale with an additional daypak lid (which are about $90 from MR) on the AB hunting forum so with the new frame and all you would be within your price point.

Helluva deal,..if my math is right you'd end up with a Crew Cab, day pack lid, and nice frame, taxes and shipping in for under $500.00. What's not to like? (RUM also is advertising that CC on Gunnutz with pics)

Gun Dog
08-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Part of the brokerage fee is GST which you'd have to likely pay regardless of how it was shipped to Canada but the remainder is just highway robbery. If a company won't ship USPS, it doesn't get my business.If you're bring it across the border yourself then Border Services doesn't usually care until you're over $300. Sometimes you get stuck with Washington sales tax (8%) so it's hit and miss. Sometimes products are shipped direct from the factory in China so shipping to Canada can be cheaper than the US. They always put $10 on the package and Canada Post doesn't really care.

If I'm shipping from the US to Canada then USPS is the best solution.

sheephunterab
08-10-2013, 09:05 AM
An MR pack is well over $300 so I'd expect to pay GST but the other brokerage charges applied by UPS are BS.

shottyshooter
08-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Helluva deal,..if my math is right you'd end up with a Crew Cab, day pack lid, and nice frame, taxes and shipping in for under $500.00. What's not to like? (RUM also is advertising that CC on Gunnutz with pics)

I have a decent mountaineering pack that is getting worn after 18 or so years so I'm in no rush.

I'll probably save up and ship the MR to my Sisters in the States for next Summer when I visit again. The problem with the above deal is that the supplier doesn't have the "old version" NICE frame in the right color so there is no sale there (clearing out stock on hand) and I still need some accessories that are only $100 but MR still wants about $80-90 shipping for those compact, lightweight items to be shipped!

I'll keep my eyes open in the meantime.

Elkaddict
08-10-2013, 03:26 PM
That's too bad. Shipping to your sisters sound like a good plan. If you are down there for a week or so you should be able to bring it back with no tax at the border. You save all around.

RiverOtter
08-10-2013, 07:41 PM
2 days gets you max duty free entitlement of $800. 2 days don't mean 48 hours either, so you could slip down Friday night after work and come home Sunday morning. Did just that last summer for a Hilleberg tent, though combined it with other shopping with the wife and kids, worked out pretty good as shipping was free(Lower 48 ) and it was sitting in my hotel room when I arrived.....

Useyourfeet
08-20-2013, 06:04 PM
I ship MR stuff to Letter Lock in Sumas all the time. Sometimes have to pay duty, sometimes they let me slide. They have been more likely to let me slide when I walk across for some reason.

todbartell
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
about 2 yrs ago when I got my NICE 6500 I requested they ship it USPS and they did. Shipping was $60 or so IIRC

sled92
08-20-2013, 07:53 PM
My Kuiu pack just arrived today. Shipping was $25.00. No tax or duty was collected at the post office.

Singleshotneeded
08-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Buy from Amazon.com, free shipping within the US, and have the product sent to a shipping receiver at the border...

mountainman
08-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Schnee's charged $45 to ship the Stone Glacier to me through USPS, the only shipping option they have......

08-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Schnee's charged $45 to ship the Stone Glacier to me through USPS, the only shipping option they have......
Would it be possible to do a review in a separate thread? They are on my list.

mountainman
08-21-2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?93182-Stone-Glacier-Solo-Review-%28Pre-use%29&highlight=stone+glacier

Haven't had it out yet due to work and family obligations....

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Why would you guys want to pay anything for shipping? If you live anywhere near the border, order through Amazon.com, have it shipped FREE to a receiver just inside the US border(they charge like $3-$4), and go down and pick it up. If what you bought isn't pushing many hundreds of dollars in value, Canada Customs often just waves you through, so you have no taxes to pay either. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you ever deal with a company in the US that ships with UPS, and have them ship something to you in Canada. UPS are famous for charging absolutely ridiculous "brokerage fees" at the border...legalized stealing!

shottyshooter
08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Amazon isn't listing what I want so that doesn't help me.

I've got most of the pieces I need through members here and I will probably just order the last bits to a US address for when I visit next summer. Coincidentally my current pack has the same buckles as MR so I can use the lid and click it right on.

Can't recall if I posted about the Canadian company (Rampart) their shipping was cheap but their mark-up made the bottom line more than direct from MR.

I have the frame here now and it is worth the hassle to get MR because it is worlds better than anything I've seen or tried. I'm sure Kifaru and some others are great too.

Someone should order all these brands and run a see it & size it business charging us a fee to actually see some of the mail order brands before ordering. LOL! They could write off all their truck, hunting etc. etc stuff and go on "tour" to all the best hunting spots where the customers are!

Banjo
08-25-2013, 11:31 PM
My kifaru order was gonna be about $80 until I had them change the address to Hagans on Blaine. Total for frame, bag and accessories is about $25. Would make my day if i slip by the tax man

shottyshooter
08-27-2013, 03:01 AM
Alright - I picked up a crew cab and frame thanks to some members!

I am going to order the extra pockets to ship happens (looks like $16 shipping) and hopefully it goes through!

Does anyone have a crew cab and a metcalf? I was thinking next year I could get a Metcalf and use it as a duffle inside the CC load bay instead of load cells. It should cinch down nice inside there and give me the ultimate transformer with the taller load lifters! Has anyone tried this? It looks like it would mean squeezing a 9" pack into a 6" space but I'm sure it would work out. I love the side zip idea being inside the CC too.

Somebody try it and post up some pics!

I have a few larger stuff sacks in the meantime - but what numerous options I would have with the two packs for different types of trips or merged together for a base/spike or meat hauling trips...

SR80
08-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Alright - I picked up a crew cab and frame thanks to some members!

I am going to order the extra pockets to ship happens (looks like $16 shipping) and hopefully it goes through!

Does anyone have a crew cab and a metcalf? I was thinking next year I could get a Metcalf and use it as a duffle inside the CC load bay instead of load cells. It should cinch down nice inside there and give me the ultimate transformer with the taller load lifters! Has anyone tried this? It looks like it would mean squeezing a 9" pack into a 6" space but I'm sure it would work out. I love the side zip idea being inside the CC too.

Somebody try it and post up some pics!

I have a few larger stuff sacks in the meantime - but what numerous options I would have with the two packs for different types of trips or merged together for a base/spike or meat hauling trips...

once you pick up a metcalf and put it on your frame you'll want to sell your crew cab Just like me and many others. Lol

KodiakHntr
08-27-2013, 07:44 AM
The Metcalf essentially eliminates the Crewcab and Longbow by combining the two....

Fairly positive you'll drop the idea of putting a Metcalf inside a CC once you have both in your hands. There's a reason you find so many CC's for sale now.......

shottyshooter
08-27-2013, 10:42 AM
The Metcalf essentially eliminates the Crewcab and Longbow by combining the two....

Fairly positive you'll drop the idea of putting a Metcalf inside a CC once you have both in your hands. There's a reason you find so many CC's for sale now.......

You said it all right there. Being able to see stuff first would be nice. I liked the CC because it became such a small unit when you needed the hiking/hauling part but not the whole camp on your back. My previous pack had to be cinched up and was just a big sloppy mess when I used it for that which is why I veered away from the Metcalf.

I e-mailed MR and asked them if they had seen or tried using the Metcalf, Hitchiker or Longbow inboard on the CC and they figured it wouldn't be the way to go either. They also said that they were putting a load lifter extension out in the coming weeks. There were a few other design things on the CC I didn't notice until I got it here. Hmmmm anybody want to buy a CC? Just kidding LOL!

Mountain Hunter
08-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Well it would be nice to get the Metcalf to compre to my CC. I ordered a Metcalf bag on 02 August and they assured me that the new stock would be in and shipped in 3-4 weeks, just in time for the first week of Sept. I sent an e-mail to MR today for an update on my order....low and behold it will still be 3-4 weeks from today for their new stock to be in and shipped....disappointing!

allan
08-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Ordered my nice 6500 July 27, pieces were back ordered.
It shipped aug 21, I had it to package express aug 23.
I paid gst/pst at the border and took it goat scouting on the weekend.
Shipping to Sumas was $21.00

RINO
08-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Just had a kuiu pack sent to Blaine... $14.95 shipping ...no tax
took only two days from time of shipping... In my hands less than a week from order..

wjones
08-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Just curious if you ordered your MR pack over the phone or via the web? I was on the MR site and it said due to fraud they would not ship to a freight forwarder and that the order would be cancelled? I usually use Package Express myself for stuff to.

allan
08-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Just curious if you ordered your MR pack over the phone or via the web? I was on the MR site and it said due to fraud they would not ship to a freight forwarder and that the order would be cancelled? I usually use Package Express myself for stuff to.
I phoned The order in

harbinger
08-29-2014, 09:12 PM
hey I'm pulling the trigger on a Kifaru, where did you send your pack to in Blaine?

pnbrock
08-29-2014, 09:19 PM
mailbox international 1685 h st blaine what I've been using.

f350ps
08-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Point Roberts is quicker if yer coming through the tunnel, TSB Shipping, register online and they email ya when it arrives. Point to Point and the LetterCarrier are a couple others down there. Good luck, K

Rubicon500
08-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Thats crazy , funny how shipping 2 barneys from alaska to kelowna was only 50$ and got here in just under 2 weeks

mountainman_270
09-13-2014, 06:04 AM
There's a Canadian company selling them (Mystery Ranch that is) here north of 49, Rampart International. The sell a few models and I can't see shipping being more right from Canada.

r106
09-13-2014, 07:45 AM
There's a Canadian company selling them (Mystery Ranch that is) here north of 49, Rampart International. The sell a few models and I can't see shipping being more right from Canada.

I believe they have a flat rate for shipping, I think it's $10