PDA

View Full Version : Beginner looking to learn

L&M
08-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Looking to start hunting waterfowl this Sept/Oct but have not been before. Already spent many a day trap and skeet shooting over the winter but have yet to get out and do it for real. Any suggestions on how to find people to go with in the Coquitlam or Ladner areas? More than happy to buy a pint for any kind individuals willing to show a newbie the ropes.

Moe.JKU
08-09-2013, 08:11 AM
There is a new hunter course that is happening Sept 20-Sept 22 I believe the dates are. I was going to attend for the same reasons as you, but i have a wedding to go to. I was informed that there is going to be some waterfowl and big game stuff involved.
If you use the search on here "new hunter course" you should find it.
I started lots last year at the dykes pass shooting its not the best but it worked for me. Look at getting a 12 pack or deke's and a call if you can they will improve your chances a lot.
Good luck and you can always pm me if you wanting someone to go out with for a morning, but i'm no expert.

Nickchee
08-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Get a good set of neoprene waders, either a camo jacket or a neutral colour, good pair of gloves, duck call (and practice) and like Moe.JKU says a dozen mallard decoys to start wouldn't hurt. After all that if you still have a couple bucks left get a mojo. Not a necessity but good to have. Check out the baby teal by mojo, you can usually grab them at 140 for 2 from Cabelas.

That should be a good base to get you started.
I'll take you out in the fall for a morning hunt just PM me.