PDA

View Full Version : The use of bear bait

davet
08-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Just wondering, but I know its illegal to use bait for hunting bears. But i was at wholesale sports today and saw a liquid bear lure product. Cant remember the name of it.
So if its illegal to use bait for bears then why do they sell this?

604redneck
08-08-2013, 09:11 PM
If there is no nutritional value at all like the bear bomb products it's legal

BearStump
08-08-2013, 09:30 PM
maybe theres a difference between a "bait" and an "attractant"??

showtime
08-08-2013, 09:49 PM
If there is no nutritional value at all like the bear bomb products it's legal

opinion or fact? where do you find this titbit of info?

TheProvider
08-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Always do your research. Was in a store in Ontario and a guy was playing with an electronic moose call. He put it in his shopping cart. I asked if he was going to use it for hunting and he replied yes. So I informed him it was illegal to use electronic calls for big game. He thanked me and put the call back on the shelf.

604redneck
08-09-2013, 12:56 AM
opinion or fact? where do you find this titbit of info?
i have talked to the co in town and asked him he said a food source and that those "bear bombs" and scent sticks dont contain nutritional value so would just be a scent therefore just covering ur natural scent. Like posted above call ur local co if u arent sure.

Ambush
08-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Like posted above call ur local co if u arent sure.

For any "grey area" never ask your local CO. Sometimes they are in the dark to and just rely on their own opinion.

E-mail the ministry and ask for a clarification. If it's not clear enough, ask again. Let them know that you are going to print the answer and keep it in the copy of the regs that you carry while hunting. I've found them to be very good about responding and I save all the e-mails for future reference.

And I never have to wonder or depend on well intentioned interpretations from the HBC legal experts. :-D :mrgreen:

phoenix
08-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Always do your research. Was in a store in Ontario and a guy was playing with an electronic moose call. He put it in his shopping cart. I asked if he was going to use it for hunting and he replied yes. So I informed him it was illegal to use electronic calls for big game. He thanked me and put the call back on the shelf.
Is that illegal in Ontario? I know it is in BC but every provinces rules are different.
Kim

Ozone
08-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Just because a store sells it, does not mean the consumer will use it in that province.

russm86
08-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Check the definition of "bait" in the regs definitions section. The way I read it I wouldn't risk it. It doesn't specify "scents or attractants" but it doesn't exclude it and it says anything or any manufactured product, even imitation or plastic that may attract animals...

davet
08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
but i guess you could use it to attract bears to see if any are around. And view them via trail camera.

scott_karana
08-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Straight from the regs:

Bait
- means anything, including meat, cereals,
cultivated crops, restrained animal or any
manufactured product or material, that may
attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imi-
tation foods, but does not include a decoy as
described under these regulations.

Unless you think you could prove that your product did not attact wildlife in a court of law, I wouldn't go near the stuff personally.

There's also not any legal non-hunting uses:

IT'S UNLAWFUL

19. to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorised.

rides bike to work
08-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Just accidentally throw a couple Tim bits out the truck by every bear poop you pass on the road.

scott_karana
08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Just accidentally throw a couple Tim bits out the truck by every bear poop you pass on the road.

:-D
You made my day. Definitely needed the laugh... still at work for 30 more minutes!

REMINGTON JIM
08-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Bears do like grain just as Deer do - Just sayin ! :wink: RJ

squamishhunter
08-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Personally, I refuse to use any baits.

.300WSMImpact!
08-09-2013, 05:51 PM
I like bait, it gives me a reason to get out and walk around the bush, I find I rarely hunt in the area I bait but it keeps me entertained

davet
08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Just so everyone knows I did not purchase the product. And i dont intend to. I just found it strange that they would sell it. I guess they sell it because poachers need it:cry:

Surrey Boy
08-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Many BC residents hunt land on which it is legal to bait bears, Alberta being one example.

igojuone
08-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Is that illegal in Ontario? I know it is in BC but every provinces rules are different.
Kim

Exactly, every province is different, I could by bear bait in BC(where baiting bears is illegal) and use it in AB(where bating bears is legal)

BernDawg
08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I Used to help a buddy bait in MB and we'd go dumpster diving at 4AM at every Timmie's and Robins Donuts we could find on our way out of town (Winnipeg). Brings 'em running!! The toughest decision to make was which one to hammer with his bow. He had about 4 to choose from every evening he went out...