PDA

View Full Version : Delorme earthmate pn60 GPS

Keta1969
08-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Just looking for any input on this unit. How are the preloaded topo maps? How bout battery life,user friendly etc.Can back roads B.C. be loaded? Always used a compass til now so any thoughts would be appreciated. Looking for the good and the bad if you think it's a POS let me know.Thanks

Frosty
08-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Stay away from this delorme, nothing but problems and the customer service is awful in my experience.

srupp
08-12-2013, 12:15 PM
hmmm I second the above recommendation..KISS principle

send me a pm with ph # and I will call you

steven Rupp

SPOT Canadian Rep

Gateholio
08-12-2013, 12:30 PM
A fellow I know has the one that pairs with his Itelephone. He seems pleased with it, can text with his wife while he is far from cell service.

Squirrelnuts
08-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Stay away from this delorme, nothing but problems and the customer service is awful in my experience.

Sad to read this as Garmin has completely screwed up the 62s and the Earthmate was next on the list. Might have to look at a Magellan next.

The Silent Stalker
08-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Sad to read this as Garmin has completely screwed up the 62s and the Earthmate was next on the list. Might have to look at a Magellan next.

I've been thinking of one of these (62s), how do you feel they have screwed it up? Im not super familiar with em so what do you know about it?

Squirrelnuts
08-13-2013, 01:48 PM
I've been thinking of one of these (62s), how do you feel they have screwed it up? Im not super familiar with em so what do you know about it?

I've used the old GPSMap 60Cx daily for work for the past 6 or 7 (at least) years and loved it so I thought the replacement would be similar but with some added mapping capabilities. Why would they mess up a good thing? Unfortunately, they've complicated almost every step with useless menus and taken away some really simple things that I need often. For example: the ability to pause track logging while leaving your active track on the map. That option's gone; if you want to pause logging and still have your track show up you first need to save the track... Of course, saved tracks by default don't show up on the screen so you have to go back to the track manager, find your saved track, scroll down and select "show on map". It doesn't sound like a big deal but when it's something you do dozens of times a day it's a pain the ass. Projecting and editing waypoints is another adventure altogether... Everything that was simple and functional on the old 60 series has been scrubbed clean and replaced with added keystrokes and menus. There might be some shortcuts but to be honest I hate the thing so much I haven't got the patience to find out.

But you can put Google earth imagery on it...

For recreational use it's probably fine, but for work it's just frustrating and time consuming. Whoever designed the interface on this thing should be tied to a post and shot.