PDA

View Full Version : Antlerless Elk 4/03zone x Senior and Junior Sept 10/14

Caretaker
08-07-2013, 10:20 PM
l know its in front of the Minister to close, does anyone have a recent update
Thanks Caretaker

J_T
08-08-2013, 06:29 AM
I don't think the regs will change on this for the immediate season coming up. Status quo this coming season.

benttip
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM
talked to them yesterday and they said would have the answer today..

Buckman
08-09-2013, 08:37 PM
It's out and it's closed.

horsethief
08-09-2013, 09:08 PM
closed, about time

Darksith
08-09-2013, 10:17 PM
I don't think the regs will change on this for the immediate season coming up. Status quo this coming season.

whoops ;)...

The Hermit
08-09-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm sure J_T was thinking Bow Only, which IS still open for any licensed hunter with an elk tag, to get proficient with archery tackle and have at them Sept 1 - 10th... bulls are open then too.

J_T
08-10-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm sure J_T was thinking Bow Only, which IS still open for any licensed hunter with an elk tag, to get proficient with archery tackle and have at them Sept 1 - 10th... bulls are open then too.
No, I will admit, from the information I had, I did not see this closure being implemented. I too thought it was too late for reasonable change. Which I guess is why all the bios took time off. Didn't want to have to answer for this decision. No change to the BOS though.

Darksith
08-10-2013, 07:10 AM
its all good, none of us have a crystal ball...I keep searching for one though. I was just being a friendly ass anyway. It is kinda crazy that they would do this so close to the season. I wonder how many people just had their plans turned upside down. And I wonder how many people will simply go on this hunt because they aren't informed!

GoatGuy
08-10-2013, 07:17 AM
No, I will admit, from the information I had, I did not see this closure being implemented. I too thought it was too late for reasonable change. Which I guess is why all the bios took time off. Didn't want to have to answer for this decision. No change to the BOS though.

Took time off because nobody could due to outfitter quota appeals. All that stuff was dealt with in June/July.

the only thing holding this decision up was politics. Glad we have at least one management plan/policy that was followed.

sawmill
08-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Took time off because nobody could due to outfitter quota appeals. All that stuff was dealt with in June/July.

the only thing holding this decision up was politics. Glad we have at least one management plan/policy that was followed.

Um,yeah,like the brilliant plan they had a few years back here when they let 500 cow tags,first come ,first served at the office in Cranny.4 miles of vehicles lined up,every one getting 4 tags.The deal was done in 10 minutes and all the dummies who camped out overnight were screwed.The LEH this year was a f@cking joke,11 tags?.I don`t like the way.

eastkoot
08-10-2013, 08:18 AM
About time they cut off the season in X zones.. Whine all you want but it was getting so that a weeks hunt may get a cow, or a few sightings and no shot.. I'm thinking the ranchers have seen a decline and MOE has reason to stop the GOS. And hey, if you can't live on a few WTails a year for meat, may have to buy some beef!!

Everett
08-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I am happy they closed it but the way they did it was a joke. Dishonest hunters will still shoot cows and will get away with it because even if the CO's charge them the crown prosecutors will not touch it with a 10 foot pole.
This once again shows the stupidity of two year synopsis.

Darksith
08-10-2013, 08:52 AM
What do they save by having the synopsis released for every 2 years? I get that there is a printing cost...but wouldn't it be possible to simply do it online? I can print it myself, or select pages if I want, rather than the entire book. And you would think that the advertising in it would cover the cost of the printing anyway? Either way if the numbers say close the X zone, then close it, and I support that, but the 2 year is silly when big changes like this come down the shoot in year 2, and if it was done to save $ which is what I recall, then maybe its time to look at other avenues to save money rather than things that could impact people who make an honest mistake because they aren't aware of a rule change that is issued online and are strictly dealing with the paper synopsis

GoatGuy
08-10-2013, 09:31 AM
I am happy they closed it but the way they did it was a joke. Dishonest hunters will still shoot cows and will get away with it because even if the CO's charge them the crown prosecutors will not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

These kinds of issues seem to be more common for sure - in part due to a lack of staffing on both the CO front and at the attorney generals. Lots of stuff on the sheep hunting side of things, and other loop holes that unethical hunters and poachers exercise.

The thing to do in that case is to put the pressure on these 'hunters' socially. It seems there are a lot of people who 'know a guy' that stretched the rules or didn't follow them. Hear about guys shooting their kids animal in JR season or what have you. 'We' need to report them and feel free to rip them a new one when they're pulling these kinds of things. It never ceases to amaze me the way guys talk about unethical hunters and poachers, but they're still friends with them or hunt with them. Heard about one of these 'stories' not too long ago, called the guy later and gave him my .02, told him I wouldn't be able to hunt with him if that was the program and that it reflected poorly on him as a hunter.

Most of these people would not monkey around with the regs if their hunting buddies told them they were tools and quit hunting with them.

Jagermeister
08-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Just to make sure that I understood that the aforementioned season was closed, the government sent me this three times.
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunting/closure-general-open-seasons-and-youthsenior-antlerless-elk-seasons-south-trench-kootenay--0

The Hermit
08-10-2013, 02:54 PM
These kinds of issues seem to be more common for sure - in part due to a lack of staffing on both the CO front and at the attorney generals. Lots of stuff on the sheep hunting side of things, and other loop holes that unethical hunters and poachers exercise.

The thing to do in that case is to put the pressure on these 'hunters' socially. It seems there are a lot of people who 'know a guy' that stretched the rules or didn't follow them. Hear about guys shooting their kids animal in JR season or what have you. 'We' need to report them and feel free to rip them a new one when they're pulling these kinds of things. It never ceases to amaze me the way guys talk about unethical hunters and poachers, but they're still friends with them or hunt with them. Heard about one of these 'stories' not too long ago, called the guy later and gave him my .02, told him I wouldn't be able to hunt with him if that was the program and that it reflected poorly on him as a hunter.

Most of these people would not monkey around with the regs if their hunting buddies told them they were tools and quit hunting with them.

Good stuff Jesse.

J_T
08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I agree, it was time to reconsider the more liberal season of the GOS on cows in the Ag zone. Personally, I like lots of elk in the trench. Apologies to the ranchers, but for most of them they're fenced. Lets keep the work up on habitat. (Where is that lightning?) Build up the transitional range and look for sustainable opportunities.

sawmill
08-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Hmmmm,rules are rules.I liked being able to put a nice elk in the freezer but if it`s over,then it`s over.Shooting and loading a dead cow elk ain`t at all like loading a deer.Takes some time and planning.If I see that crap going on I will sure as hell be all over that.

Everett
08-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Hmmmm,rules are rules.I liked being able to put a nice elk in the freezer but if it`s over,then it`s over.Shooting and loading a dead cow elk ain`t at all like loading a deer.Takes some time and planning.If I see that crap going on I will sure as hell be all over that.

Amen Brother