PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the STERIpen??

Sitkaspruce
08-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Anybody had any experience using this instead of the usual filter system??

http://www.amazon.ca/SteriPEN-Classic-Safe-Water-System/dp/B000PH013E

Any pros/cons to using this thing??

Cheers

SS

KodiakHntr
08-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Yep. As long as you have enough volume to fill a bottle you are good to go.

Sucks if you have a tiny depression in the rocks or something you can't fill up a bottle with. Takes a long time to fill a nalgene using a spoon I imagine.

lorneparker1
08-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Never used the pen, but i wasn't a big fan of water filtration systems until i discovered this

http://www.sawyer.com/water.html

Fairly new on the market and flat out awesome. Super light and effective

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I prefer the Lifestraw myself Sir.

I've spent alot of time in the bush without any water filtration, just drinking from whatever water source I saw fit (and a few that were a touch unsavoury as well I might add) and have never had a problem doing so. As such, I tend to view filtration as a luxury that can make gnarly water taste better and add comfort and peace of mind. We've all heard the horror stories of those who have fallen terribly ill in a variety of ways from such behaviour though so I am in no way averse to their employ.

mountainman
08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Never used the pen, but i wasn't a big fan of water filtration systems until i discovered this

Excellent product and light enough to pack around.

GoatGuy
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Buddy had one last year when we were sheep hunting that he and his wife used. Seemed to work slick and way lighter than carrying a pump.

The rest of us drank out of the creeks, even lighter.

08-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I have used a Steri-pen for the last several years. Light and easy to use. I have UV filtration in my pumphouse at home, and know that it is extremely effective.

I too used to drink out of clean looking creeks without treating the water. Still do occasionally, BUT I did have giardia back in 1988. I lost 28 pounds and ended up in the hospital. It was brutal, and I never want to have the experience again. As such, when I can, I treat water before drinking.

NovemberBravo
08-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Where would someone buy one of these?

Sitkaspruce
08-08-2013, 08:14 PM
The pen will be for the wife next year in Africa, so it will be used a lot.

325, the one big complaint I have read up on is the battery life. You have any problems with battery life?? Type of battery you use??

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Cheers

SS

mountainman
08-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Where would someone buy one of these?

Got mine off Amazon. Pretty sure you can order direct from Sawyer though.

KodiakHntr
08-09-2013, 08:30 AM
The pen will be for the wife next year in Africa, so it will be used a lot.

325, the one big complaint I have read up on is the battery life. You have any problems with battery life?? Type of battery you use??

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Cheers

SS

I used rechargeable NiMh batteries in mine this last trip, and it was fine for 15 or 20 litres. We did try alkalines a couple years ago, and they ran dead after 8 litres maybe.
The other thing to factor is a lightweight solar charger like the PowerFilm charger. I carry one of those to charge my iphone up while I'm out in the sticks for longer than 4 or 5 days. It charges 2 AA batteries in an hour or two.

Mountain Hunter
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
The reviews for the various models of steripens say that they do not work very well in cooler climates. Need to keep batteries in pockets, etc.

Sitkaspruce
08-10-2013, 01:41 PM
I used rechargeable NiMh batteries in mine this last trip, and it was fine for 15 or 20 litres. We did try alkalines a couple years ago, and they ran dead after 8 litres maybe.
The other thing to factor is a lightweight solar charger like the PowerFilm charger. I carry one of those to charge my iphone up while I'm out in the sticks for longer than 4 or 5 days. It charges 2 AA batteries in an hour or two.

Thanks Man

Back Country has them and she was looking at them last weekend. I will pass on the info.

Thanks again

Cheers

SS

NovemberBravo
08-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Got mine off Amazon. Pretty sure you can order direct from Sawyer though.

Thanks I'll have a look on amazon.

08-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I have used this system and would advise against it for backcountry use for the reasons mentioned here.
It works well as long as you have clear water in volume but not suited for murky or stagnant water or trying to collect from ground seepage.
I was very careful with my Steripen but one small drop and it was done for. Stick with a filter system with a chemical system as backup: http://www.mec.ca/product/4012-604/pristine-clo2-30ml-water-treatment/?h=10+50130&f=10+50033+50130

KodiakHntr
08-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks Man

Back Country has them and she was looking at them last weekend. I will pass on the info.

Thanks again

Cheers

SS

If you want to give either a test run, or handle one up close let me know.

kayjayess
08-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I am by no means a hard core back country guy but my partner and I have used the steripen in sheep country for close to 6 weeks over the past 3 years and it has proven invaluable. Yes it requires some care in that if you throw it around it could break. Having said that we have never had an issue. This year on our Dall hunt we used it for tiny trickling mountain streams and it worked a charm. Battery life has never been an issue for us. Mind you our trips are never over 2 weeks. I am sold on it and have used the filter system. I do carry a Katadyn bottle but my go to is the steripen for sure.