PDA

View Full Version : Kechika/Turnagain River Advice

ElectricDyck
08-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Hi, we are heading up the Kechika last week of August till 2nd week in September. We were planning on camping at the Gattaga confluence but the new plan is to camp at the Turnagain confluence. There will be 4 of us with 2 boats, an thunder jet luxor with some bottom work and an outlaw muskwa. None of us have been up the Kechika. We planned on bringing 600 liters of fuel each, so we'll be able to get around a fair bit. The guys with the muskwa are elderly and will probably moose hunt off the river the majority of the time. It's mine and my buddies (who got the boat this year) first big jet boat trip.

I like to hike and get into the mountains and would like to find some goats or sheep. Also, what's the elk hunting like? The outfitter in there describes the hunt as a rut hunt yet it's only open for the first week in September?

I've been in the Northern Rockies a couple times now and am pumped to get back in the mountains. If anyone has any good river pointers or good direction to start walking I'd be interested :) Thanks and good luck to everyone this fall.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_1570-1.jpg

SHACK
08-07-2013, 09:38 PM
If your planning on 600 liters of fuel, the turnigain is by far a better bet. Its a long way to the gattaga, and you will burn about 130 or so gal. return in a v8 powered tub. The turnigain is a fair bit more technical to run, but stil easy enough. Plenty of sheep hills up that way as well. There are plenty of moose around, but you are going in a bit early for the rut. Gorgeous country up that way, have fun!

digginsweatinswearin
08-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Just wondering, where would you guy's put in for that trip?

SHACK
08-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Fireside, iss the spot, and dont...dont go downstream, its about 1.5km downstream of the confluence of the Ketchica.

digginsweatinswearin
08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks, where do you guy's leave your tow rigs?

butcher
08-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Leave your truck at Skook's landing near Fireside. Good place to launch from as well. Also some real good camp spots just upstream of the turnagain confluence on the Kechika. Room for a massive wall tent camp.

ElectricDyck
08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
If your planning on 600 liters of fuel, the turnigain is by far a better bet. Its a long way to the gattaga, and you will burn about 130 or so gal. return in a v8 powered tub. The turnigain is a fair bit more technical to run, but stil easy enough. Plenty of sheep hills up that way as well. There are plenty of moose around, but you are going in a bit early for the rut. Gorgeous country up that way, have fun!

Thanks, we went by Riverratz gps distance to Gattaga and did some trials and figured out what we'd need to get to the gattaga and back and it was about 600 liters. Now that we're only going half the distance we should have more breathing room for some more exploring. The thunderjet is a 175 sport jet and we'll be packing backpacks and small tents as we have weight issues.

ElectricDyck
08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Leave your truck at Skook's landing near Fireside. Good place to launch from as well. Also some real good camp spots just upstream of the turnagain confluence on the Kechika. Room for a massive wall tent camp.

Any good spots near the mountains up Turnagain? Any estimate on dificulty and travel time to Hart River and beyond to Deeh peak. Starts to look interesting on Google earth:)

digginsweatinswearin
08-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Did a quick search on Skooks landing and came across an old thread from 2010. Seems the local FN's were not pleased with the hunting situation up there, has that crap blown over or been delt with? There were some threats of locked gates, vandalism and violence.

butcher
08-09-2013, 08:13 AM
I think ministry had some staff at Skooks dealing with issues last fall. Don't be surprised to see something there again this year.

With small tents you shouldn't have any problem finding camp spots up the turnagain. Not sure how far you'll get up with the boats but I do know some guys that floated down from Deeh so I would guess its doable. But that is only a guess. Never been up that far.

ElectricDyck
08-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Cool..thanks butcher, what was their opinion of Deeh and the country on their float down?

When it comes to FNs, the trucks are stock and insured so criminals can be criminals and we'll pay our deductibles....this land is your land, this land is my land....

geoskier
08-11-2013, 10:49 PM
I canoed the Turnagain when I was 20 with my dad. We flew into Turnagain Lake from Dease and came out at Skooks Landing. My dad (a doctor) made a donation to the Dease Lake medical center in return for having our car shuttled to fireside. The hike in the dark from Skooks landing to Fireside was interested as he passed through the buffalo herd while I waited with the canoes (2 other people came with us but bailed half way through (sat phone call to helicopter) just above the falls and 3 day portage (convenient). So my dad and I ended up portaging 2 canoes and soloing them out.

If you can, I would run up the river all the way to the base of the falls near the mouth of the Cassiar River. Near there you can head into Moodie Lakes which (from what I hear) are some of the best sheep hunting around. We saw plenty of elk and moose along the river too.

Make sure to bring a rod as the fishing in the Turnagain is unreal (one morning I caught 25 fish in 25 casts).

Enjoy!

Garret
08-12-2013, 04:57 PM
I hunted the Turnigan last year and saw alot of sheep, goats and elk. I might have a few suggestions if your looking we went as far up as just before Dall Creek on a 175 sport Jet. let me know if your looking for some more info on the Turnigan

ElectricDyck
08-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I hunted the Turnigan last year and saw alot of sheep, goats and elk. I might have a few suggestions if your looking we went as far up as just before Dall Creek on a 175 sport Jet. let me know if your looking for some more info on the Turnigan

Hey thanks, sent you a pm.

BCRiverBoater
08-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Both rivers are very easy to run and you should be able to pack enough gas for either one. I have been up there with a 16' and 17' with sportjets and packed enough fuel to get up into the Frog no problem. The Turnagain is much closer and you could pack less gas for sure. If you have two boats and split the camp and gear you can pack basically anything you want and fuel. I currently have a 17' Firefish and packed 165 gallons of gas and there was three of us in the boat (which I never do) with all our personal gear, food and half of a camp including a wall tent and cooking supplies. I was the heaviest I have ever been and took a bit to get on step and had to run close to 5000 RPM for the first 3 hours but I made it no problem. I won't hesitate to pack 165 gallons of gas with two people ever again. Just make sure your impellar is new or rebuilt and you will be fine. Load your weight forward and hammer it.

ElectricDyck
08-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Both rivers are very easy to run and you should be able to pack enough gas for either one. I have been up there with a 16' and 17' with sportjets and packed enough fuel to get up into the Frog no problem. The Turnagain is much closer and you could pack less gas for sure. If you have two boats and split the camp and gear you can pack basically anything you want and fuel. I currently have a 17' Firefish and packed 165 gallons of gas and there was three of us in the boat (which I never do) with all our personal gear, food and half of a camp including a wall tent and cooking supplies. I was the heaviest I have ever been and took a bit to get on step and had to run close to 5000 RPM for the first 3 hours but I made it no problem. I won't hesitate to pack 165 gallons of gas with two people ever again. Just make sure your impellar is new or rebuilt and you will be fine. Load your weight forward and hammer it.

Yeah the Thunderjet is no Firefish, especially when it comes to weight, we found that out on a recent trip up the pitt river here recently....We're trying to pack light. What are the temperatures going to be like late august early september? I checked the historic temps for fireside and they were lows of 10, highs of 30. I have a small 100lb freezer we are probably going to take with a small honda whisper generator. What do you think? Worth the weight?
Any good spots you'd recommend to camp or hike into?

sako_300
08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
DON'T take a freezer in a boat...

Best advise is to pack lots of fuel (you are) and go explore - don't expect game to be falling off the river bank so get out and walk. You'll learn the country and have some fun doing it.

ElectricDyck
08-14-2013, 05:07 PM
DON'T take a freezer in a boat...

Best advise is to pack lots of fuel (you are) and go explore - don't expect game to be falling off the river bank so get out and walk. You'll learn the country and have some fun doing it.

Yeah that's the plan, always good to ask for advice as well. Why no freezer?

300rum700
08-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Think of it as a backpack trip that you can take a wall tent, a chain saw and a cooler full of real food on everything else is unnecessary weight that will eat up fuel. You have a freezing cold river to take care of your meat for you.

ElectricDyck
08-14-2013, 06:29 PM
It would be nice to be able to freeze some meat and then go hiking for a few days, I wouldn't want to leave meat unattended in a river for a few days...what do you guys do? I don't want to have to leave when we get something....

SHACK
08-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Nothing wrong with the freezer, it just takes the space of fuel. Hell I have buddies that swear by a freezer, and it has let them stay in much longer. They usually cycle the meat in and out of the freezer to keep multiple animals cold.

SHACK
08-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Sory, forgot to add, 6.5 pounds a gallon for fuel, thats 15 gallons of fuel, two hours run time for an average boat empty! So ya got to think about the pros and cons

ElectricDyck
08-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Sounds worth it to me :) I'm not too old yet that I can't hike, the thought of leaving early or sour meat makes me sad....

Darksith
08-15-2013, 08:26 AM
It would be nice to be able to freeze some meat and then go hiking for a few days, I wouldn't want to leave meat unattended in a river for a few days...what do you guys do? I don't want to have to leave when we get something....

why wouldn't you want to leave the meat unattended though? Is it b/c you can't monitor its temp, or is it because of animals? No freezer is gonna stop a bear

Kapow
08-15-2013, 08:44 AM
I've quartered moose with the hide on and placed it in a glacial fed creek for a few days and it came out tasting awesome. Wasnt my idea and was totally against it, but enabled us to keep hunting a few more days. I would do it again without doubt. But the creek must be extremely cold.

ElectricDyck
08-15-2013, 11:36 PM
why wouldn't you want to leave the meat unattended though? Is it b/c you can't monitor its temp, or is it because of animals? No freezer is gonna stop a bear

No not bears. I was visualizing bags of meat open to the air at the top sitting in a river unattended. I'd worry of water levels changing and meat being washed away or soaked in the water with debris. I'd also worry of flys landing and laying eggs in the open portion. Things you could deal with if you were around to keep an eye on it. I've used a freezer before and we were able to freeze an elk solid and leave for a goat hunt with no worries of the condition of the meat, nice peace of mind that lets you enjoy the hunt fully.

browningboy
07-25-2015, 07:08 AM
An old thread but considering doing this hunt this year, so I have a 21.5 ft built up commander with reinforcement, plastic and pimped out motor, so thinking I need more than 650 litres, I was thinking the Kechicka , so is there lots of parking where you launch? Also how far is the confluence from where you launch to where the Kechicka is? Or do people camp near the launch and truck and run the river each day? Just trying to get what the best scenario is

Dre
07-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Where you launch at Skooks is into the Liard, you travel up river (definitely not down), 1km or so and hang a left into the Kechika. Lots of parking at Skooks,but first week of Sept can be a bit of a gong show 40-50 boats at or more. . About 2.5-3hrs to the Turnagain, 2.5-3hrs more to the Dall. Turnagain River can get skinny in spots if the water level is down, but all the rivers can get scary when the water level goes up a lot...rapids get pretty wild. I'd do it again, but not first week of Sept, too many people.
Good luck.

JAGRMEISTER
08-09-2015, 04:20 PM
The outfitter at Sandpile crk. Tom Vince booked 40 hunters for last years 10 day elk season, expect lots of competition on the turnagain and just below the junction w Kechika at their "elk camp".

browningboy
08-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Sounds like it's getting to be pretty busy up there, have to see if the boys want to head up, just a long wayside to go to find out it's just a busy of hiking in the bush? Heard the muskwa is way worse due to the 3 point season

2chodi
08-09-2015, 09:27 PM
The outfitter at Sandpile crk. Tom Vince booked 40 hunters for last years 10 day elk season, expect lots of competition on the turnagain and just below the junction w Kechika at their "elk camp".

I'm not sure where you got that information, but government records show the Vince booked 2 elk hunters in 2013 and killed none. 40 in 2014???

JAGRMEISTER
08-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Turnagain is easy all the way to falls, past Dahl. Vince booked 40 hunters for the 10 day elk season last year, so expect more of the same with his son running the area now.

JAGRMEISTER
08-11-2015, 07:04 AM
From a "neighbour" of his! You may be looking at non res hunters?

2chodi
08-11-2015, 08:43 AM
From a "neighbour" of his! You may be looking at non res hunters?

These are total clients (i.e. not just for elk) by residency CRH means Canadian Resident Hunter

Hunt Year
Guide Surname
Guide Init(s)
Territory
Hunter Residency
Clients

VINCE
T
NRH

VINCE
T
RH

VINCE
T
CRH

VINCE
T
NRH

VINCE
T
RH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
RH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
RH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

VINCE
TG
CRH

VINCE
TG
NRH

JAGRMEISTER
08-11-2015, 08:57 AM
interesting that 2014 is missing? I agree that 40 sounds ridiculous, but then what do they care, it is rent free to them, all on the Kaska's license!

2chodi
08-11-2015, 09:28 AM
interesting that 2014 is missing? I agree that 40 sounds ridiculous, but then what do they care, it is rent free to them, all on the Kaska's license!

2014 isn't "missing", it just takes a long time for government to compile the information and release it. 2014 will be added later this fall.

Here (http://residentpriority.ca/2015/05/1976-2013-big-game-harvest-stats/) is the latest version of the Big Game Harvest Stats - it only contains harvest data and not client info as does the above table.

Backcountry Hunter
01-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Old thread but question for someone. Can you put a Zodiak in the Kechika in August or are water levels too low?

Riverratz
01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Old thread but question for someone. Can you put a Zodiak in the Kechika in August or are water levels too low?

You don't state whether your Zodiac has power or not.

There are only two ways to access the Kechika by boat;

#1 is the boat launch at Skook's Landing on the north side of the Liard River, adjacent to the hwy. between Coal River and Fireside.
From that launch site you have to go upstream on the Liard approx. 1 km., then into the mouth of the Kechika which is on the south side of the Liard.
Current in the Liard at the launch is in the range of approx. 7-10 km. The Liard is approx. 300 - 400 meters wide at the Kechika confluence.
The Kechika flows northward into the Laird, therefore once you leave the launch site you are always travelling "upstream" on both rivers.

#2 is to fly the boat/people/equipment/supplies, etc. to the upper Kechika or even the Gataga.
A smaller boat/canoe/raft can be flown to these locations by float plane.
Flying hunters and/or equipment associated to hunting by helicopter is illegal, therefore float plane is your only option.

Water in the Kechika in August is generally high and slow, average current in the 5-7 kph range approx., varying according to weather, rainfall, and exact location. Some areas faster, some slower.
To give you an idea; distance from Kechika-Gataga confluence to Skook's Landing is 196 km.

If one was to fly an inflatable to the upper Kechika and float down (no motor power) , your biggest problem will be getting to the launch at Skook's Landing on the Liard.
You would have to literally somehow ?? paddle the inflatable from the mouth of the Kechika across the Liard to the north side, continually fighting the current which is pushing you downstream quite quickly.
As you are no doubt aware, paddling an inflatable boat is like trying to move a bathtub in a mud puddle. In a current it is almost impossible.
You've only got about 1 km. to accomplish crossing the Liard from the mouth of the Kechika.
If you miss the launch at Skook's, the current picks up in velocity very quickly.
You will be swept downstream through 'Portage Brule' rapids which are located only 1.5 km. downstream from Skook's.
This will, in all probability, result in a fatal experience.
These rapids are pretty much non survivable unless you are extremely lucky, or an accomplished, seasoned canoeist/kayak'er well versed in extremely volatile and deadly current.
If you are somehow lucky enough to survive the rapids, which is doubtful at best, the loss of all your gear is guaranteed.

If your Zodiac is powered, a 'jet leg' for the outboard is a must as hitting bottom is inevitable. Not a river for prop equipped boats !!
This of course presents a number of other problems; while inflatables are capable of carrying enormous weights they do not have much cargo space.
An outboard jet will consume large amounts of fuel which you have to somehow figure out where you're going to carry it in the boat.
More fuel means more weight, which means you need more power, which means you need more fuel ........ and so on and so on.

In your case, the best scenario would probably be to fly the inflatable and small jet o/b motor (like a 20 hp. perhaps) to the upper Kechika or even up Gataga.
Float downstream using the motor only occasionally for manuevering when needed, and for crossing the Liard at the end of the trip.
Hope like hell the motor works when you need it the most.

Good luck with your plans and trip if you do it.

Backcountry Hunter
01-03-2016, 04:04 PM
You don't state whether your Zodiac has power or not.

There are only two ways to access the Kechika by boat;

#1 is the boat launch at Skook's Landing on the north side of the Liard River, adjacent to the hwy. between Coal River and Fireside.
From that launch site you have to go upstream on the Liard approx. 1 km., then into the mouth of the Kechika which is on the south side of the Liard.
Current in the Liard at the launch is in the range of approx. 7-10 km. The Liard is approx. 300 - 400 meters wide at the Kechika confluence.
The Kechika flows northward into the Laird, therefore once you leave the launch site you are always travelling "upstream" on both rivers.

#2 is to fly the boat/people/equipment/supplies, etc. to the upper Kechika or even the Gataga.
A smaller boat/canoe/raft can be flown to these locations by float plane.
Flying hunters and/or equipment associated to hunting by helicopter is illegal, therefore float plane is your only option.

Water in the Kechika in August is generally high and slow, average current in the 5-7 kph range approx., varying according to weather, rainfall, and exact location. Some areas faster, some slower.
To give you an idea; distance from Kechika-Gataga confluence to Skook's Landing is 196 km.

If one was to fly an inflatable to the upper Kechika and float down (no motor power) , your biggest problem will be getting to the launch at Skook's Landing on the Liard.
You would have to literally somehow ?? paddle the inflatable from the mouth of the Kechika across the Liard to the north side, continually fighting the current which is pushing you downstream quite quickly.
As you are no doubt aware, paddling an inflatable boat is like trying to move a bathtub in a mud puddle. In a current it is almost impossible.
You've only got about 1 km. to accomplish crossing the Liard from the mouth of the Kechika.
If you miss the launch at Skook's, the current picks up in velocity very quickly.
You will be swept downstream through 'Portage Brule' rapids which are located only 1.5 km. downstream from Skook's.
This will, in all probability, result in a fatal experience.
These rapids are pretty much non survivable unless you are extremely lucky, or an accomplished, seasoned canoeist/kayak'er well versed in extremely volatile and deadly current.
If you are somehow lucky enough to survive the rapids, which is doubtful at best, the loss of all your gear is guaranteed.

If your Zodiac is powered, a 'jet leg' for the outboard is a must as hitting bottom is inevitable. Not a river for prop equipped boats !!
This of course presents a number of other problems; while inflatables are capable of carrying enormous weights they do not have much cargo space.
An outboard jet will consume large amounts of fuel which you have to somehow figure out where you're going to carry it in the boat.
More fuel means more weight, which means you need more power, which means you need more fuel ........ and so on and so on.

In your case, the best scenario would probably be to fly the inflatable and small jet o/b motor (like a 20 hp. perhaps) to the upper Kechika or even up Gataga.
Float downstream using the motor only occasionally for manuevering when needed, and for crossing the Liard at the end of the trip.
Hope like hell the motor works when you need it the most.

Good luck with your plans and trip if you do it.

Thank you very much!! Great info. Much needed. The fly in float out option seems to be the best without a river jet boat.

okas
01-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Yes this is where we put in and leave the truck no ugly so far .. turn off at the big rock and heading up the liard the kechika is very close a lot go right buy.

okas
01-03-2016, 10:15 PM
if not a hard bottom Zodiac you will have to stiffen the floor as it will hop and the bow will push in. i have a 15 ft. 22 inch. tube with a 40/30 yam. jet for scouting coming down river is great just let it go itself

David Heitsman
01-11-2016, 04:14 PM
I floated the Gataga Kechika in a 12' Zodiac with 10 hp outboard prop in maybe '96. Had Liard Air drop us at Mayfield Lakes and hike over small hill to Gataga. Floated about a week to Skook's and shot my first 6 X 6 elk at the Frog. Floated in early September and it was torrential rain EVERY day.

Last year we ran a jet well up the Turnagin from Skook's in early October and had stellar weather most days except the day in and out. Hunted solid for 14 days, hiking, floating and calling etc and never saw a single legal species of a single animal. Did not see one bull moose even. Frost on most nights so meat storage would not have been an issue.

okas
01-12-2016, 06:09 PM
you got that right spent a lot of time scouting last spring grizz leh ha ha ha ... the whole area only one went down ... and no elk or moose to get into going back for:!: moving on.. and out

hunter#1_300
01-27-2016, 09:02 PM
How is the turnigain to run in the spring for grizzly ??

goinghunting
01-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Seems to me it might be that rivers have become the highways of the north with every tom dick and harry having a river boat now. I know a few groups that have tremendous success on the turnigan but are getting off the river.