PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking - Tents Tarps and Bivys

behemoth
08-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Hey guys, hoping to get some advice from some seasoned backpack hunters.

My partner and I have been on a handfull of backpack alpine hunts together before and are planning a goat trip for mid October in the Golden area. I'd love to shed some weight and especially bulk this year, so leaving the tent at home is my goal.

I bought a Siltarp 2 a few days ago and have been having fun setting it up in a variety of configurations in the backyard.
We have good warm lightweight sleeping bags and pads.

Where we're going will require 1-3 nights on the mountain depending on how the hunting is.

I see photos of people in bivys inside their tarps. Is this a heat or moisture thing?

I'm trying to understand at what point you guys think our setup is not enough and that we'd need a bivy? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I have no experience with them so I don't want to miss anything here.

Cheers
Behemoth

limit time
08-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Check out Mountain laurel website or Seekoutside TeePee. Lite and comes with optional stove.

shottyshooter
08-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I bought a bivy and sil tarp for space/weight reasons. Plus I just like to be in the open to enjoy the stars and my time outdoors. Had lot's of fun with this set up but some of the tents out there are sitting at a really good price/weight ratio and, especially up in the alpine, you might find the tent a better all round option.

aside from that the bivy ads warmth and protects you from fog, sideways rain - whatever. You run the risk of getting condensation from your sweat inside the bivy but I've found that if you know your body and how you react to conditions you can vent appropriately. Another option to consider is a bag liner which goes inside and acts kinda like the sheet inside your bag. It's sort of extreme and I think generally reserved for more extreme conditions. I have a SOL emergency bivy that Might be a good idea if you do the sil tarp and reserve it for when you get cold. You could use it as a liner or a bivy and it's fairly cheap, small and light.

wildcatter
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Bivys are clammy, I'd rather have a lightweight tent.
And that's what I did, just bought a Eureka Spitfire Solo, it weighs only 3lb $119 at Taiga.
It doesn't give you any vestibule space, enough for an average size guy and if you have the Siltarp already you are good to go.

The Hermit
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Check out Mountain laurel website for the Seekoutside TeePee. Lite and comes with optional stove.

Get idea! Site sponsor VantagePoint Outfitters just picked up the Canadian Distributorship for Seek Outside (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/seek-outside-stoves/) stoves. Unfortunately their tents are not fire rated and therefore can't be imported for sale in Canada. You might be able to have them ship it to a depot in Blane or something... I've seen their tents and think they are pretty cool!

goatdancer
08-07-2013, 08:09 PM
If you get a yellow bivy sack, you'll look like a hot dog for a grizzly bear............

Everett
08-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Our spike camp tipi weighs 1lb 12oz with pegs and fits two people two dogs and packs we don't have a stove in this one.

sarnold
08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
I just picked up the north face kings canyon 2 person, super lite and will give a lot more protection up in the alpine:)
my 2cents...

goinghunting
08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Our spike camp tipi weighs 1lb 12oz with pegs and fits two people two dogs and packs we don't have a stove in this one.

What kind of tipi do you have everett?

Everett
08-07-2013, 10:17 PM
What kind of tipi do you have everett?

Wife made type:-D. She has made both our base camp tipi with wood stove and our spike camp version.

srupp
08-08-2013, 07:47 AM
hmm may lookm at sil-dome..doesnt come any easire or stronger or lighter...

cheers
Steven