PDA

View Full Version : 7-57 Bison hunt

Darksith
08-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I assume there is gonna be ample standing dead dry timber in that MU? If we bring a chain saw we should be able to find lots of wood in the back and simply sled it out? Also just confirming we shouldn't have much of a problem finding sticks that will make good exterior poles for the wall tent...

Ive been in the general area before, back into crying girl prarie and stuff...so I imagine the timber and terrain in the halfway valley would be similar.

Bear Chaser
08-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Lots of firewood. Shouldn't have a problem finding tent poles either.

Darksith
08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks...didn't think so but figured I better just confirm rather than making an assumption

kako99
08-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Your good to go! What draw did you get?

hunter7413
08-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Lots of bug kill in that area in the last few years

Darksith
08-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Your good to go! What draw did you get?

got jan 16-31 zone A, and found out a good friend also pulled the same draw, so 2 groups going in together with 2 tags. Pretty stoked, hoping for not too much snow and not too cold. -20 I can live with, its when it gets to -35-40 that it really starts to get tough. How much daylight can one expect at that time of year?

Rob
08-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Ive got the Jan 1-15 draw for that area.

bridger
08-08-2013, 10:12 AM
got jan 16-31 zone A, and found out a good friend also pulled the same draw, so 2 groups going in together with 2 tags. Pretty stoked, hoping for not too much snow and not too cold. -20 I can live with, its when it gets to -35-40 that it really starts to get tough. How much daylight can one expect at that time of year?
Not much daylight tbat time of year 9/4:30 about it

Darksith
08-08-2013, 10:27 AM
thats not too bad, thanks for the info bridger

Krico
08-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I had that hunt this past season, even with shorter daylight hours it was still long days. Up early, get the fire going good and hot, get the sleds started (they grumbled at -36C) and let them warm up while we cooked a big hot breakfast. Then load up the skimmers, tie everything down and head out. Each night was a big hot dinner, chop firewood, fuel up sleds, run pickup for a bit so it didn't completely die on us, pack lunches for am. Then a few games of crib and off to bed to do it all over next morning.
Hands down best purchase made for the trip was our -45c Woods 5 star Arctic Outfitter sleeping bag. Even at -36 with the fire long gone and nothing on but tighty whities they were toasty warm and comfortable, not at all like being cocooned in a mummy bag.

Darksith
08-08-2013, 11:43 AM
thanks for the advice...my biggest concern is the vehicles, as we will not be staying with them, but rather back in the management unit.

bridger
08-08-2013, 11:52 AM
thanks for the advice...my biggest concern is the vehicles, as we will not be staying with them, but rather back in the management unit.
Bring a tiger torch and a couple of 20lb propane bottles. Also bring a length or two of stove pipe so you dont have tp place the torch under the vehichle. Throw a tarp over the front end and in no time at all the engine will be warm enough to start easily. Good luck

shallowH2O
08-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Ive got the Jan 1-15 draw for that area.ive got that draw as well, hope to see ya up there

GoatGuy
08-08-2013, 12:24 PM
We took the generator and an extra plug in block heater and that worked as well. Used the block heater on the snowmobile in the morning before trying to start - fired up right away.

shallowH2O
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
tiger torch, 4 feet of flex pipe, and a propane cylinder would be handy to get a diesel going

BiG Boar
08-09-2013, 06:18 AM
I love bison hunting

Ry151
08-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I had that hunt this past season, even with shorter daylight hours it was still long days. Up early, get the fire going good and hot, get the sleds started (they grumbled at -36C) and let them warm up while we cooked a big hot breakfast. Then load up the skimmers, tie everything down and head out. Each night was a big hot dinner, chop firewood, fuel up sleds, run pickup for a bit so it didn't completely die on us, pack lunches for am. Then a few games of crib and off to bed to do it all over next morning.
Hands down best purchase made for the trip was our -45c Woods 5 star Arctic Outfitter sleeping bag. Even at -36 with the fire long gone and nothing on but tighty whities they were toasty warm and comfortable, not at all like being cocooned in a mummy bag.

This is the best tip!! I used the same idea last year on my hunt. The second week there was only one other hunting party left there in the whole valley and they had been there from the beginning of the two weeks.

Roe
09-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I do not know how to start a fresh one. Got a bison draw for October 16th to 31st . Booked to stay at Sikanni River Outfitters for accommodation only. Mike and Dixie are probably very busy with clients so I am looking for information.

Is the Grassy Chicken Creek Road the exit we need?
How far to the parking lot at the airstrip?
Can we get a lightweight trailer 6 foot 6 inches wide (including wheels) (to carry gear for 4 people) towed by an atv along the trail to the lodge?
The guys put me in for the draw as they have been trying for 19 years without luck. Have to shoot this bad bison.

David

One Shot
09-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Bring a tiger torch and a couple of 20lb propane bottles. Also bring a length or two of stove pipe so you dont have tp place the torch under the vehichle. Throw a tarp over the front end and in no time at all the engine will be warm enough to start easily. Good luck

Aaahhh! Believe it or not, I actually miss having to do that every one once in a while after having to do that for so many years.

Roe
09-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Sorry for my lack of manners. Please and thank you. Big rush to get the RV ready. Wife wants to spend 2 weeks biking the Kettle Valley trails. No excuse though.

David

Darksith
10-13-2013, 05:22 PM
how is the trail around the ranch? Is there a lot of bad side hilling to get through? Will the trail be pounded in pretty good by last 2 weeks of january? Essentially Im wondering if the trail will be flat if there is some side hills granted there would need to be enough snow. I am bringing my Rhino side x side with tracks on it, and Im just not sure how well it will handle a side hill, as this will be the first season I've had tracks on it.

Ry151
10-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Shouldn't be an issue, there is one good dip to go through but if it has a winch you should be alright but then again I've never used a side x side on tracks so maybe it will not make it. Might be over the weight restriction though. We used a bravo 250 for one sled and it made it easily and as far as the ministry told me last year sleds are exempt from the restrictions so that's something to think about if you shoot one way off the trail.

Bear Chaser
10-14-2013, 09:53 AM
I believe you cannot legally take a side by side past Horse Camp due to weight restrictions.

Darksith
10-14-2013, 09:54 AM
should be fine as it is on tracks...no different than a snow mobile IMO. I will sort that out though

Bear Chaser
10-14-2013, 10:00 AM
should be fine as it is on tracks...no different than a snow mobile

I would check with MOE on that one before heading up.

44inchStone
10-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I think the weight restriction is 450 KG but you will have to check the regs to confirm. ALSO I heard CO's were at the ranch this year as there were guys past the Trappers cabin with pick up trucks. Just because the guy taking your money at the ranch says you can drive all the way back to the air strip in your truck does not mean it's true. I think the border for motor vehicles over 450 KG's is the Trappers cabin, which is WAY before the air strip. I'm sure the information is in your sent package. Just a heads up.

bighornbob
10-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I do not know how to start a fresh one. Got a bison draw for October 16th to 31st . Booked to stay at Sikanni River Outfitters for accommodation only. Mike and Dixie are probably very busy with clients so I am looking for information.

Is the Grassy Chicken Creek Road the exit we need?
How far to the parking lot at the airstrip?
Can we get a lightweight trailer 6 foot 6 inches wide (including wheels) (to carry gear for 4 people) towed by an atv along the trail to the lodge?
The guys put me in for the draw as they have been trying for 19 years without luck. Have to shoot this bad bison.

David

There is a sign on the highway for Sikanni River Outfitters. I think its like 17km from the highway to the airstrip. Cant remember exactly how wide the entrance at the gate was but I would think 6 1/2 feet might be pushing your luck. I would have a second option of taking gear in.

BHB

Darksith
10-15-2013, 08:46 AM
I would check with MOE on that one before heading up.
I am, wouldn't take much to make the rhino meet the definition of a snow mobile in the regs for the MKMA, but not looking to do anything other than respect the land and have an enjoyable trip

Darksith
10-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I think the weight restriction is 450 KG but you will have to check the regs to confirm. ALSO I heard CO's were at the ranch this year as there were guys past the Trappers cabin with pick up trucks. Just because the guy taking your money at the ranch says you can drive all the way back to the air strip in your truck does not mean it's true. I think the border for motor vehicles over 450 KG's is the Trappers cabin, which is WAY before the air strip. I'm sure the information is in your sent package. Just a heads up.
500kg is the weight restriction. Not giving anyone at the ranch any cash, looking to go around blueberry

daycort
11-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Isn't it weight restricted right from the last gate from Ross's old cabins. From there to sulphur creek is 450 or 500 kg and then no atv/utv's past that point at sulphur creek (about 4 miles west of horse camp, there used to be a sign).

Darksith
11-03-2013, 10:37 AM
is the boring ranch on the map blueberry? The government really does a shitty job of making sure everything is clear for everyone. So the main trail according to the map I was provided only goes just east of mount stearns. Are snowmobiles able to get all the way back to robb lake area? Im just trying to figure out how far back people generally go, where the ranch is in relation to the maps I have, and if I need to maybe scrap the rhino on tracks idea all together or is it still feasible and worth it. The big advantage I have is that I own the rhino, and finding more sleds to make up for it not going is going to be costly or more difficult. If anyone is familiar with the maps and can use points of reference listed on it for me rather than the local knowledge that would be awesome

Bear Chaser
11-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Boring Ranch is accessed from Mile 143 road. You will find no bison on the Boring Ranch.

Blueberry Ranch is accessed from Mile 147 road. The trail around the Blueberry Ranch on the North side of the Halfway is accessed from just before the gates to Blueberry Ranch.

There are occasionally bison on the south side of the Halfway that can be accessed using Mile 143 road; at about 29 km turn right or west on to Robertson Creek Road travel approx 11 km; turn right again onto the Genesis Road and travel approx 8.8 km the road makes a "Y"; turn left and continue down onto flat. There is an old lease road that will get close to the river. Bison do hang out there and if there is little to no snow the road will be passable. Pretty sure the Genesis road was not plowed last winter.

Darksith
11-03-2013, 01:45 PM
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i472/GNalleweg/map_zps0f70276b.png (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/GNalleweg/media/map_zps0f70276b.png.html)

So blueberry is one of the squares to the east of the capital A for the zone, and the orange trail with the #1 in a circle pointing to it is the trail around the ranch? Do many guys go past the actual trail end of the green lines running under the capital A? As I read it, any vehicle under 500kg can go as far as the green trail, and a sled can go anywhere...

OR

Is the trail around not shown on the map and north of what I called blueberry via the red arrow...

Bear Chaser
11-03-2013, 08:10 PM
The Blueberry Ranch consists of the private land squares farthest west of where your arrow is pointing. The trail around doesn't go quite as far north as the orange line indicates. It should be a well beaten trail by the time you get there.

drakfero
11-03-2013, 08:54 PM
couple tips from my friend comming back from there couple weeks ago..

if you had zodiak , take it , river goes far away from road
if you have or some of your friends had LEH for grizzly , make him go , its done deal. friends saw multiple bears when they were there - one shot and they will come to you for free meal
road can be very muddy , ATV is neccecary , dont go far away behind point , CO use to take ATVs with helicopter
dont forget tags - moose , elk , ram...
lots of fire wood
i dont think the road behind ranch is there anymore

Darksith
11-04-2013, 06:06 PM
The Blueberry Ranch consists of the private land squares farthest west of where your arrow is pointing. The trail around doesn't go quite as far north as the orange line indicates. It should be a well beaten trail by the time you get there.

how far back can guys get past the green trail indicated?

yama49
11-04-2013, 06:13 PM
You cannot legally go past the green(with atvs)

Bear Chaser
11-04-2013, 06:58 PM
With snowmobiles there is trail all the way to Robb Lake.
On foot you can go wherever you want.
With ATV's and UTV's the green line is the legal limit.

Ry151
11-04-2013, 08:31 PM
how far back can guys get past the green trail indicated?
On sleds you can go all the way to rob lake

Ry151
11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
If you need maps go to McElhanney in Fsj on your way through. Tell them you are hunting bison at pink mountain and they will print one off for you for around $10. It has all the tails and property lines

Darksith
11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
thanks guys. I guess I will look to bring both UTV and sleds and check the snow levels. Worst case scenario is the UTV or sleds sit on the trailer. I would imagine last 2 weeks of january there is gonna be snow...that a safe bet?

Bear Chaser
11-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Usually lots of snow by then.

CaribooBC
11-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Best time of the year to go. no mud, no bugs! Should be enough snow but if you have a liquid machine make sure it has scratchers on the tunnel. The trails can get packed really hard and if you are towing a boggan you can have cooling issues.