PDA

View Full Version : Ontario chinook

BCHunterFSJ
08-06-2013, 10:58 AM
I caught this 21 lb Chinook Salmon in Lake Ontario! http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/P70305301024x768.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/user/BCHunter_photos/media/P70305301024x768.jpg.html)

gutpile
08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Nice fish ! are they good to eat from thoughs lake and do they taste the same as
from our coast ?

BCHunterFSJ
08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
And then shortly afterwards, my sister caught this 27 pounder. She wasn't able to hold it up for up for pictures, so my brother-in-law is doing it. http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/0271024x768.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/user/BCHunter_photos/media/0271024x768.jpg.html)

BCHunterFSJ
08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Nice fish ! are they good to eat from thoughs lake and do they taste the same as
from our coast ?

They are as tasty as the ones from the ocean. However, the old ones do contain amounts of mercury so it is recommended to limit your intake.

Surrey Boy
08-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Good catch! Glad you're getting a vacation.

BRvalley
08-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Great fish BChunterFSJ...were you in the blue or staging off the river mouths yet?

they taste the same from the lake (not so much the river fish), the great ontario salmon derby every year has several 35+ lbers on the leader board, I hear a 40 was taken in week 2 this year, I recall a 46 about 5 yrs ago.....with the alewife population apparently stabilized or slightly starting to boom again, I think we'll see a legit 50 lber come from lake ontario in the next few years

the salmon are safe eating from the great lakes due to their short lifespan, but limit intake as he mentioned above and recommended to trim the belly fat....but I would never eat a lake trout from lake O, they have 20+ years to build up toxins...we get to blame the detroit auto sector for their smog blowing our way (obviously mostly the US side, cause the polution has nothing to do wtih SW ON auto/manufacturing sector LOL)

BiG Boar
08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
I can't see the fish. It looks like a mushroom to me....

lorneparker1
08-06-2013, 01:19 PM

HA

Imo Great lakes springs taste nothing like ocean caught fish. Im from Ontario and have killed lots both there and here. They aren't even comparable. The warmer water of the GL is what I think makes them not as good. Still edible but not nearly as yummy. MY father who still lives back east, comes out here for 2 weeks to fish every year with me and ships every salmon we catch back( at a pretty hefty price).

Lorne

BCHunterFSJ
08-06-2013, 03:29 PM
It IS a mushroom. Called the Ontario Spring Bolete!!

heyblast
08-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Nice to see some bigger chinooks being caught, I'd heard they weren't getting as big with the drop in the Alwife numbers. When I lived there my rule of thumb was 10lbs and under were good for the barbecue, over that the smoker. They are good to eat but not as good as the salmon here on the coast.

BRvalley
08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
lake huron crashed hardest, the steelhead adapted to changing forage base but chinook/coho were not as adaptable that way....i heard reports alewife were bouncing back, but is second hand info, could be wrong on that, the charter guides are saying it's a good year, the derby has a 41 leading i think

I dunno, everybody has their own experiences but my BC and ON salmon tasted the same, both great, side by side off the bbq and couldnt' tell the difference........a fish is a fish, the muscle tissue is the same, the great lakes aren't shallow, the salmon depths are still cold water

I find the reduced quality comes from keeping staging fish off river mouths number 1 where the water is significantly shallower/warmer and the salmon have started to slowly die already....and number 2, not taking care of it properly after caught.....back home we don't keep the big girls, only the smaller ones and always bled out, gutted and into a cooler with ice immediately