PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Husky owners?

BradB
08-04-2013, 10:12 AM
First off, I apologize because the question isn't directly hunting related as this breed isn't know for it's hunting compatibility.

I know there are a few members with husky's on here and we're looking at getting one. If anybody has any breeder info they'd be willing to share (good or bad) I'd be very appreciative. Breeder websites only tell you so much, and it's good to hear from other owners.

Thanks,
Brad

reach
08-04-2013, 02:49 PM
You might start here.

71 Whistler sled dogs up for adoption (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/07/16/bc-whistler-sled-dogs.html)

JeffR
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Not sure how familiar you are with the breed, but I would do a fair bit of reading before I committed to one. Huskies are a little different :). Typically they can be fairly independent dogs with a high prey drive. This can cause problems when you want to have them off leash, or if you have cats in the house. They can be real escape artists as well. I met a woman a while back who said she had just been able to start taking her dog off leash in the last 6 months. The dog was 13 years old.

If you have your heart set on one, check out the shelters. My buddy got a purebred husky from the Burnaby SPCA. They come up from time to time.

BradB
08-04-2013, 04:22 PM
I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the breed and am aware of some of their ....eccentricities lol. A siberian has been the wife's dream dog since she was a kid and she really had her heart set on a puppy, which if we could get from a shelter I think I could talk her into but I'm not holding my breath. I've always liked the breed, as well and despite the fact they can be difficult, mostly due to their intelligence and independent nature, I'm willing to work within the needs of the dog and the required training. I also have several dog training friends who have offered training support should I need it.

adriaticum
08-04-2013, 06:45 PM
There is a lot of info on the web and youtube.
Huskies are not indoor dogs in my opinion and they need work to do. You should have a yard.

BradB
08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
There is a lot of info on the web and youtube.
Huskies are not indoor dogs in my opinion and they need work to do. You should have a yard.

I do have a yard. He'll be accompanying me pretty well anytime I head for the woods, as well, even when I'm working doing creek surveys.

adriaticum
08-04-2013, 10:50 PM
I do have a yard. He'll be accompanying me pretty well anytime I head for the woods, as well, even when I'm working doing creek surveys.

If you spend a lot of time in the bush they will be great. They do shed a lot.
I've seen them in apartments but I don't know if they are happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CaouIp1kE

BradB
08-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Seen that video several times, now.

Wouldn't even consider one if I lived in an apartment. Apartments feel too small for me, let alone a husky lol

keoke
08-04-2013, 11:27 PM
My friends uncle had one. It got out of the yard at 192nd and hwy10 and they found it running full speed just before hwy10 meets the 99. They like to run

Rhyno
08-05-2013, 06:28 AM
My buddy has a couple, I don't trust them...particularly around kids. He was visiting a friend and left them their back yard....comes out a half and hour later to find they burrowed under the rabbit cage and were in the process of devouring it!

Not to say they are all like that....sure are nice looking dogs.

ducktoller
08-05-2013, 09:14 AM
I've sbeen one happy Siberian/wolf cross that was happy in small aparTment. Owner is a hardcore
runner.

kinderdoggin
08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Seeing that you've already received all the standard Sibe warnings and appear to be well researched and committed to the breed choice, I would talk to Karen Ramstead at NorthWapiti kennels: http://www.northwapiti.com/ She races in the iditarod with her siberians, and I don't know what her policy is about breeding and selling puppies but if she can't help you with a puppy I am sure she could recommend someone. She is a very nice, helpful person and her dogs are top notch.

BradB
08-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Kinderdoggin. You're right in that we didn't go into this breed choice lightly and I appreciate you giving me the info for Karen. I'll be sure to contact her soon.

Caveman
08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Have you considered a Malamute. Bigger, but way less work exercise wise. They have an awesome temparment. Everyone's buddy. Get along with other dogs. I've had four over the years and both females and males are great

reach
08-06-2013, 10:02 PM
I have to agree my husky/malamute mix is much more mellow than a typical pure husky. He has his moments but he does have a pretty good temperament.

Mishka
08-06-2013, 10:19 PM
I grew up with malamutes and currently have a malamute cross (spca special). They're great dogs, but they can be pretty stubborn. They generally love people, but they can have dog aggression tendencies too. All the malamutes in my family have been quite mellow.

The Silent Stalker
08-06-2013, 10:48 PM
I had a Husky/Wolf X for 13 years, best dog in the world! **** it or fight it was his motto till after 8years old. Then he stood his ground like Chuck Noris and waited to see if the other would make a move. At 11yrs old I saw him nose to nose with a much bigger Akido who had to back down, he knew his life was in danger. He tore a large racoon apart in my back yard once. Came home and had 4 cornered on the back porch, without hestitation he ran and grabbed the first one he could, pulled it off the deck and tore it apart. That said, it was the most loyal and smartest dog I've had. Miss him. They are wonderful dogs! Lots of exercise, love, attention, you won't be disappointed! Now, I wouldn't think of taking him hunting, he'd be gone after the first thing he smelled. Go get one, they are awesome.

BradB
08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Actually, haven't given much thought to a malamute. I do have a friend with one and he's a big doormat of a dog, but a nice dog lol

kinderdoggin
08-09-2013, 09:47 PM
The malamutes I have met were all dog aggressive and several of them were not that good with strangers (human variety) either. I am sure that is not representative of the whole breed, others here seem to have had good experiences, but my impression is that they are not great pet dogs and are not a breed I would recommend without very careful consideration. The Sibes I have met have their breed quirks (got to be careful about letting them off leash, digging, howling, need to run, etc) but all had nice temperaments and were social, and I would be much less hesitant to recommend that breed as long as you know what you are getting into in terms of exercise and containment requirements.

reach
08-09-2013, 10:35 PM
My husky/malamute mix is not dog aggressive at all. He can be slightly dominant at first if he thinks he can get away with it, but easy to correct. I do have to keep an eye on his prey drive. But aggression - nope. Socialize early and often and you won't have a problem. Actually that goes for pretty well any breed. I go out of my way to walk him where I know there are other dogs around, loose or behind fences, and take him to the dog park several times a week.

basscanada
08-09-2013, 10:49 PM
My dog marble is an awesome dog, happy to discuss at length about my experiences with these dogs if you like, pm for contact info. Cheers

Caveman
08-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I would trust any Mal that I've had with anyone, from little children to adults. They will let kids do anything to them with no issues. Our daughter could walk right up in the middle of feeding the dog and take it's food. The dog didn't care. They love attention and are a great family dog as opposed to a one person dog. If there was one thing about our latest Mal, that I'd change is the half hearted howl to get attention, but even that is easily corrected and seldom needed. They will dig, but can be broke of that quite easily and shedding is a bit of a pain in the spring. The only dog aggression any of mine have shown was to a pitbull on the other side of our fence. My Mal was willing to chew through the fence to get to it. If socialized early there would be no issues here either

Jagermeister
08-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I would not buy a Husky, Malamute. They are unpredictable and can and have turned on children in a flash, even children that they are raised with. This happened in one of several instances over in Alberta to some folks that ran a dogsled tour business.
They are the ultimate wanderers and once free will head for parts unknown.
One of my neighbours had two in an enclosed area that seemed dog proof. Well they got out and disappeared. He scoured around, posting flyers all over. Not a hair off the dogs back. Six months later, they showed up at the door. Who knows what their oddessy was, they sure as hell weren't talking.
If you are into dogsled racing, go for it.