PDA

View Full Version : Wall tent stove pipe question..

dog812
08-04-2013, 09:57 AM
background info:
So i have a great wall tent from northwest shelters, . I got them to add a room to the front. So it has a 8x12 with a 6" stove jack, and the main room is 14x12 with a 5" stove jack.
My first stove is a Kni-co smaller stove with 5" pipe. But it was too small for more liking, so i bought a larger stove yesterday with a 6" stove pipe.

Here is my dilema. We might use both stoves, we might only bring the small one or the big one.. we dont know. If i use a pipe reducer, 6" to 5" so i can use the stove jack in the main room with the larger stove.
What will the reducer do to the efficiency of the stove?
Will it do anything negative?
will smoke back up and come out the seams..

Any info would be great..

t-rexer
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Sorry to jump on this thread but I can't seem to start one of my own I've been trying for a while but just can't figure it out. I'm pretty sure I'm a member, do you have to pay in order to start postings? Again sorry for jumping in but help would be appreciated thanks and this is a great site and I visit multiple times a day

NaStY
08-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Just go to the forum you want to start in and select " start new thread " it's that easy.

sorry for the continued high jack but he did ask a valuable question.

longstonec
08-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I dont think it would effect much going from one size to the other. you can always try it out in your yard at home and see how it works. I think its likely you wont have any smoke come out at the joint other then when you first light it.

buckshot
08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Like suggested, just set-up your stove outside and see if it draws ok and doesn't, go out when you close the damper. I had tried a reducer like you are suggesting on a new stove. It did not work at all. The manual did say however that you had to use six inch pipe. I did not believe them.

Ry151
08-04-2013, 06:33 PM
My stove has a reducer on it from 6-5 and made no difference from when it was 6 all the way. But mine likes to start puffing smoke out the damper on the front of my air tight un less you had it in just the right spot with the chimney damper in just the right spot also. It was vary annoying so this year I plan to upgrade my stove

aggiehunter
08-04-2013, 09:21 PM
sometimes you just need go higher if your a puffer...I mean...higher above the roof of your tent...to vent

landphil
08-05-2013, 09:10 AM
If you do try a reducer, put it right at the stove, and use 5" pipe all the way from there, don't neck it down part way up. It might be a little smokey when you open the stove, but like someone suggested, try it at home and see how it works. There are more smokey stoves from too big a flue than too small in my opinion.

Vader
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM
It seems to me that if you are using a chimney damper, a device that effectively reduces the size of the pipe thereby reducing the draft, you would need to match the stove door damper to match the available draft. This would control the burn rate of the fire box and keep more heat in the structure by letting less heat out the chimney.
Not sure if thats the way it works but just trying to dissect the process.

t-rexer
08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks got it

Ry151
08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
It seems to me that if you are using a chimney damper, a device that effectively reduces the size of the pipe thereby reducing the draft, you would need to match the stove door damper to match the available draft. This would control the burn rate of the fire box and keep more heat in the structure by letting less heat out the chimney.
Not sure if thats the way it works but just trying to dissect the process.
Your correct that the damper in the chimney holds the heat in the tent, a person can really notice the difference from open and closed