PDA

View Full Version : The Grizzly Dinner-Bell

HarryToolips
08-02-2013, 12:56 PM
So I'm planning a trip to the Kooteneys this fall, I will be hunting with a friend and my brother for much of the time, but will be hunting by myself for a good portion of it as well. I'm used to hiking and often hunting alone in the Okanagan, but is it a dumb-ass idea in "griz" territory to be hunting alone? I've heard many stories from people who say the gun-shot after they bag something is just a 'dinner bell' for griz in many areas. Have any of you experienced this??

fmcleod
08-02-2013, 01:02 PM
I have hunted the Kooteneys for many years and have taken many animals but never had a problem with grizzly.....but I have heard the same thing about the "dinner bell" thing.

35 Whelen
08-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Never experienced it in the West Koots, but the East Koots I hear is a different story.

Sofa King
08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
i'm not sure what area of the koots a friend of mine goes to for elk.
but he says that when they down their animal, it's not a matter of "if" a grizzly might show up, but just a matter of "when".
they always get to work as quick as they can and get the meat out as fast as possible.

Leaseman
08-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Experienced it for several years in region 7-11 in the 90's

HarryToolips
08-02-2013, 02:55 PM
i'm not sure what area of the koots a friend of mine goes to for elk.
but he says that when they down their animal, it's not a matter of "if" a grizzly might show up, but just a matter of "when".
they always get to work as quick as they can and get the meat out as fast as possible.
Thats crazy..someone with a 12ga and slugs the best medicine??

Elkaddict
08-02-2013, 02:57 PM
I wouldn' let it ruin your hunt.The guys I hunt with, most of the time, split up and go separate ways. Hunting alone, but close enough that we have help with field dressing and packing within a short period of time should we need it. We haven't had a problem yet. The last couple of elk we have taken were all "visited" by Mr. G from 24 to 48 hours after the "bell" was rung.

Elkaholic
08-02-2013, 03:21 PM
It really depends on the area in the E. Koots you are going to hunt. There are areas that have higher densities than others. The area I hunt has a very low density and I have never had a encounter. Thats not to say that we go un-prepared we are always on alert even though we have never had an incident. So go about your business alone and just keep your head about you.

mudduck
08-02-2013, 03:32 PM
i try to be"bear aware" as they say but pack a bigger rifle now than i did back in the day

genockous
08-02-2013, 03:38 PM
U don't shoot too much if u never heard about the dinner bell....specially from a vehicle

genockous
08-02-2013, 03:40 PM
U don't shoot too much if u never heard about the dinner bell....specially from a vehicle fmcleod:wink:

markt308
08-02-2013, 04:59 PM
If your in the WK you could hunt alone without much worry I'd say but of course (like anywhere in BC) keep your witts about you. In most of the EK it's a different story. Not to be dramatic but I won't hunt in the EK alone anymore after last years Grizz shananagans. If I didn't learn anything from my last outing in the EK I would be a fool. Although I prefer hunting alone it just ain't worth being the next news headline. My 2 cents buddy.

brutus
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
dont no about the koot but up north the gut pile tend to disapear within 24 to 36 hrs of the shot,we always have one of us on alert with a big gun just in case,i think they feast at night while we are snoozing,but deffinitly no what a gun shot means lol

blueboy
08-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Have fun and hunt , don,t worry to much about grizz

tundra
08-02-2013, 05:28 PM
"Don't believe the Hype!".IMO I am not saying not to be aware of your surroundings but I would not let the "Hype of the dinner bell discourage you." If you have hunted alone in the Okanagan you have hunted in Grizz country. Lots of areas close to Ktown have grizz running around. I have hunted E koot, W koot, and Peace regions with never more than a sighting. I also hunt alone a lot and even have done pack hunts by myself 8 hours away from anything and tried the gun shot dinner bell thing and never seen a grizz. The smell of blood is mainly what attracts them. The gut piles disappear fast cause there is a lot of other animals that feast on this yotes, ravens, whiskey jacks, black bears, grizzly bears, etc. Based on odds you have a better chance of having an accident on your way to the koots than being attack by a grizz. IMO

Sofa King
08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
"Don't believe the Hype!".IMO I am not saying not to be aware of your surroundings but I would not let the "Hype of the dinner bell discourage you." If you have hunted alone in the Okanagan you have hunted in Grizz country . Lots of areas close to Ktown have grizz running around. I have hunted E koot, W koot, and Peace regions with never more than a sighting. I also hunt alone a lot and even have done pack hunts by myself 8 hours away from anything and tried the gun shot dinner bell thing and never seen a grizz. The smell of blood is mainly what attracts them. The gut piles disappear fast cause there is a lot of other animals that feast on this yotes, ravens, whiskey jacks, black bears, grizzly bears, etc. Based on odds you have a better chance of having an accident on your way to the koots than being attack by a grizz. IMO

not quite the same.
hell, I've seen grizz in the kane valley and near the aspen grove turn-off.
one's risk increases exponentially when hunting elk in the kootenays.

tundra
08-02-2013, 05:39 PM
not quite the same.

It only takes one grizz to eat you. If you look at Timothy Treadwell he was with lots of Grizz but it only took one to eat him and his girlfriend. Just saying.

Sofa King
08-02-2013, 05:43 PM
It only takes one grizz to eat y ou . If you look at Timothy Treadwell he was with lots of Grizz but it only took one to eat him and his girlfriend. Just saying.

very true.
but when you increase the # of bears per square mile, it only makes sense that you then increase your risks as well.

Big Lew
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
One of my brothers and his hunting buddy shot an elk high up in the east Kootenays a few years ago and hurriedly gutted and quartered the carcass for fear of 'the dinner bell' problem. They had to relay the quarters along, and even though they were able to quickly put distance between them and the gut pile, they unknowingly were followed by a sow and 2 large cubs. His buddy's son came up looking for them and saw the bears stalking his father and my brother as they were packing downhill. He was able to alert them in time and they scared the bears off....it might have turned out bad if the son hadn't shown up. As long as you're close to the smell of meat you are potentially in danger.

08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
A friend of mine was cow calling elk and called a grizz in... just depends I guess.

Trophyslayer
08-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Been bluff charged just outside of fort Steele and have had a few run ins in 4-24 they are thick out there

Weatherby Fan
08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Have hunted the Cranbrook area just about every year for 20 years or so and have seen an increase in the numbers of Grizzlies over the years, my nephew was charged while hunting with his Dad, other than that never had a problem with them and we have shot a pile of animals over the years, they seem to clean up the gut piles with in 12-24 hrs but so far haven't been hassled with an animal on the ground.

BromBones
08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I hear they like to prey on sheep hunters who are snoring in their tent. It's like a burrito to them.

Brambles can tell you all about it. :)

Big Lew
08-02-2013, 09:25 PM
IMHO, The dinner bell hype is a bit overstated. Most of BC is bear country: practicing good situational awareness, and applying a common senses approach to bear encounters will go a long way. While hunting and especially when game is down, I expect the predators to visit, and am equipped accordingly. If push comes to shove, a bear can have my game if he insists on taking it, but he'll get it if my safety margins are compromised.

Probably the most sensible comments so far, and I would expect most actually would do the same despite their 'forum bravo'. I personally wouldn't shoot to kill if my personal safety, or others with me, wasn't directly threatened either.

Peter Pepper
08-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Probably the most sensible comments so far, and I would expect most actually would do the same despite their 'forum bravo'. I personally wouldn't shoot to kill if my personal safety, or others with me, wasn't directly threatened either.

Wouldn't letting them push you off a kill just guarantee that they associate hunters/humans with food?

Sofa King
08-02-2013, 09:55 PM
One of my brothers and his hunting buddy shot an elk high up in the east Kootenays a few years ago and hurriedly gutted and quartered the carcass for fear of 'the dinner bell' problem. They had to relay the quarters along, and even though they were able to quickly put distance between them and the gut pile, they unknowingly were followed by a sow and 2 large cubs. His buddy's son came up looking for them and saw the bears stalking his father and my brother as they were packing downhill. He was able to alert them in time and they scared the bears off....it might have turned out bad if the son hadn't shown up. As long as you're close to the smell of meat you are potentially in danger.

scary shit.
and surely the gutpile was giving off way more aroma than the meat would have been.
and don't most predators go for the innerds and soft nummies first over the actual meat.
but maybe the smell of blood and fresh meat and movement makes for a funner meal.

ROY-alty33
08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
As long as you're close to the smell of meat you are potentially in danger.
Aren't we all meat?
Remember reading about the dinner bell bears in outdoor life from high school library some 25 years ago. Idea has been around for a while might be some merit to it.

Bobfl
08-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I hunt alone and with a partner, I have crosses old scat and fresh scat. Don't believe an area with low numbers of bears. You will never or should never have a problem with griz until your animal is down. If you are dressing the animal alone, have a loaded gun ready and do not let your guard down. If there are two gutting, two guns are loaded and ready. This is when griz will come in or when you are packing out. If you have to leave your animal cleaned for the night, try to pull it off the gut pile and hang a small tarp over the kill roped too two trees. When you arrive in the morning you can bino the kill before you go in, if the tarp is down be prepared. I have only had one problem with a moose kill and lost the whole animal to a griz which stripped the meat into three piles covered it like someone had raked the ground with a garden rake. If you hunt alone , screw the rules carry a backup and a one spot, it may be your only help

Sofa King
08-02-2013, 11:01 PM
You will never or should never have a problem with griz until your animal is down.

that's not really true.
you could surprise a grizz any time you are in the bush.
or, you could crest a hill and encounter a sow and her cubs.
many attacks occur on non-hunters, hence, no animal down.

even in areas where I hunt that aren't grizz-abundant, when I am cleaning an animal, my gun is close by and loaded, and i'm constantly stopping and looking around to make sure the coast is clear.
it's just good habit to always have.
never, ever let your guard down.

Big Lew
08-03-2013, 06:51 AM
scary shit.
and surely the gutpile was giving off way more aroma than the meat would have been.
and don't most predators go for the innerds and soft nummies first over the actual meat.
but maybe the smell of blood and fresh meat and movement makes for a funner meal.

According to them, they surmised that the sow with cubs had crossed their path, smelling the fresh blood and meat, and decided to check it out. The sow with cubs were far enough away from the gut pile that they probably couldn't smell it.

Big Lew
08-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Wouldn't letting them push you off a kill just guarantee that they associate hunters/humans with food?

There is that risk I suppose, but predators deal with 'push or be pushed' situations amongst themselves and other predators all the time. I'm not saying that I would just walk away without trying to scare one off with warning shots, bear bangers, or whatever I had at my disposal, just saying I wouldn't shoot to kill just to save the meat.

eastkoot
08-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Killed lots of elk in the EK and as far as the "dinner bell", not a big deal, and I hunt alone. If you have to leave it overnight, make lots of noise when approaching the kill and be sure to have one in the chamber. You will tell if you have a problem if the kill is buried or disturbed at all when you get there next day or if the gut pile is moved be AWARE. They are everywhere, you just have to be careful. And yes, when gutting, the gun is always loaded and very close.. Never lost one yet but be very very careful..

Ron.C
08-03-2013, 08:39 AM
I've hunted 4-24/4-25 quite a bit and allot of it solo. The past several years, done lots of elk calling and been on lots of kills between myself and hunting partners. Just use your head and cautious. Keep a clean camp and manage your game as fast as you can. Not just for Griz reasons, but to get it cooling fast. And if you have to leave quarters for a return trip, hang them somewhere where you can see them from a little ways away as you approach. You may go years without even seeing a Griz. Or you may call one in on your first time out. Enjoy your hunt.

brutus
08-03-2013, 09:25 AM
who ever says that grizz dont assiosiate gun shot with gut piles is a fool imo,not saying that you shoulndt hunt alone but just be alert after your animal is down,or even walking in grizz country alone,like somebody else said it only takes one pissed off grizz to change your life.tons of gun shots on the tuchodi during the peak of the elk rut and thats when the encounter with grizz are the most common,thats a statement from the park ranger we talk too while being check out by co a couple years back,btw we encounter two grizz that week

tracker
08-03-2013, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=brutus;1362481]who ever says that grizz dont assiosiate gun shot with gut piles is a fool

X2 on that statement !! Seen it and believe it !!

Spy
08-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I presume there is a healthy grizz population,how many LEH's are there for the West & East Koots?

Sofa King
08-03-2013, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=brutus;1362481]who ever says that grizz dont assiosiate gun shot with gut piles is a fool

X2 on that statement !! Seen it and believe it !!

X10.
someone suggesting that is dangerous to others.
they definitely do.

finngun
08-03-2013, 11:28 AM
my buddy had to shoot a grizz.. after they had a moose hanging at the camp... grizz didn't left them alone..warning shots didn't help...so dead grizz..:cry:

j270wsm
08-03-2013, 11:29 AM
I've had more grizzly encounters while cow calling then I've have after I have shot/gutted an animal.
SPY -obviously Grizzly draws vary depending which zone your in. 4-23A hasn't had any tags for 4years now and there are more than enough bears to sustain 2 resident tags every spring.

Darksith
08-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Thats crazy..someone with a 12ga and slugs the best medicine??
Its not legal to shoot a grizzly over a downed animal, just to save your meat...

not quite the same.
Exponentially? Come on...don't use such silly words, even risk is a loaded scare word

very true.
but when you increase the # of bears per square mile, it only makes sense that you then increase your risks as well.
increase the chance of an encounter, risk I don't think increases much

who ever says that grizz dont assiosiate gun shot with gut piles is a fool

Think of all the people that hunt all over this province. Now think of all the people that frequent HBC. What a story that would be to tell of a very dangerous encounter with a bear. Do we hear about them, yes we do. Do we hear about it so frequently that you should be afraid? Hell no. Be smart, understand that it can and does happen, but don't be fearful. Just be bear aware, grizz, black its all the same, they are stronger, faster and encounters happen, but they don't necessarily end in a tragedy very often. I think some people in this thread want to make it sound like its a big deal, but they probably haven't experienced that situation, its all in their head. Ive seen a vid on here of one encounter that involved horses and a downed animal. Just know what to recognize about where you have a downed animal and act accordingly. You might want to debone or break apart the carcass quickly and move the meat to a safer intermediate location, thus getting you away from the gut pile and carcass, or getting out of the thick and into an open safer area where you can see further, but don't be so concerned that it affects your hunt, prevents it or gets inside your head to the point where you can't enjoy yourself. If this was a huge problem we would hear about it over and over annually.

HarryToolips
08-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the info all..all great advice it seems

Sofa King
08-03-2013, 01:03 PM
darksith, you don't think what Treadwell did was "risky"?
you just think his chance increased.
I think he exponentially increased his risk of a grizzly attack by going where he went.

the more time one spends around bears, the more risk there is of a bad encounter.

Sofa King
08-03-2013, 06:16 PM
^^a deer can pinpoint a call right to the exact spot.
do a moose call before you crawl into the tent for the night, and most times there's a moose standing nearby in the morning.

a gunshot is way, way, way louder.
I don't think its out of the realm to think they could locate the sound.
and of course a grizz doesn't come to every gunshot.
but it does happen in certain areas.
maybe it's just certain bears.

Sofa King
08-03-2013, 06:20 PM
yes, many times the bear probably does come in to the scent of the kill.
but, they could also possibly start to associate after a while that those gutpiles mysteriously show up shortly after those very loud bangs.
there's really no way to prove whether the bear smelled the blood and that's what drew it in, or that it was alerted by the gunshot first and headed that direction to investigate.

ellenbill
08-03-2013, 06:53 PM
When I go grizzly hunting I will wait for a thunder storm and stake out the strike locations. Should improve my chances.

brutus
08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
strike location,with that smart remark you prob will be standing right under it lol

Big Lew
08-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Although I've heard stories about the 'dinner bell' from hunters, I don't think most of the bear encounters while gutting etc. a carcass are attributed to the gun shot. It's more likely the smell of blood and an opened stomach cavity, which bears, with their incredible smelling capabilities, can detect from great distances. That's not to say that bears can't, or don't associate shots to a gut pile. If you're training dogs by using treats, it becomes obvious just how quickly they respond and learn to associate commands or actions to treats. It would seem natural for a sow that has learned 'gun shot--gut pile association' to pass this along to their cubs as well.

HarryToolips
08-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Although I've heard stories about the 'dinner bell' from hunters, I don't think most of the bear encounters while gutting etc. a carcass are attributed to the gun shot. It's more likely the smell of blood and an opened stomach cavity, which bears, with their incredible smelling capabilities, can detect from great distances. That's not to say that bears can't, or don't associate shots to a gut pile. If you're training dogs by using treats, it becomes obvious just how quickly they respond and learn to associate commands or actions to treats. It would seem natural for a sow that has learned 'gun shot--gut pile association' to pass this along to their cubs as well.
Makes sense....too bad silencers aren't legal eh then we could take one factor out of the equation..although I bet most times it is indeed the smell that brings em..

hunterdon
08-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Makes sense....too bad silencers aren't legal eh then we could take one factor out of the equation..although I bet most times it is indeed the smell that brings em..

Actually some silencers are legal. They call them bows.(longbows, compound or crossbows.) :-D joking aside, and yes, there would still be the smell that brings them in, which is probably the biggest attractant.

hunterdon
08-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Excellent post!

I mainly bow hunt, and usually alone. I don't have the luxury of carrying a backup rifle. That said. Whether rifle or bow hunting, alone or not, always bring black pepper. It is fantastic at reducing the smell of gut piles or blood, and as a bonus, it almost eliminates attracting flies. And as you should know, flies have the best sense of smell in the business. You can buy the pepper in bulk for cheap at the grocery stores. Just make sure you sprinkle LOTS of it ALL OVER the animal, especially chest cavity, head/nasal area, gut pile and on ANY blood. It will not negatively affect the meat one least bit.

Great also on hanging meat. Been doing this for decades. I just don't know why more hunters aren't aware of this.:roll:

brutus
08-04-2013, 11:55 AM
big lew your post is excellent,i no the smell of the gut pile is what attracs the bears for sure,all i am saying is that the grizz are assosiating the gun shot with the smell thats all.not saying that a animal shot with a bow wont get the gut pile visited lol.anyhow gut pile in grizz country dont last very long period,maybe i try sitting on mine this year and ask the grizz lol

Big Lew
08-04-2013, 12:38 PM
big lew your post is excellent,i no the smell of the gut pile is what attracs the bears for sure,all i am saying is that the grizz are assosiating the gun shot with the smell thats all.not saying that a animal shot with a bow wont get the gut pile visited lol.anyhow gut pile in grizz country dont last very long period,maybe i try sitting on mine this year and ask the grizz lol

That's what I like to see, someone with a positive & optimistic outlook, doesn't even consider the possibility that he might fail to get an animal:wink::grin:

gutpile
08-04-2013, 02:45 PM
if someone has a griz draw they should be allowed to take it over bait, it's the
best way to get rid of potentialy dangerous bears.
I don't know why they make it illegal, could save lifes.

brutus
08-04-2013, 05:15 PM
back east its all good,big pile of bait bang dead bear,not my cup of tea lol.as far as an animal down for me this year i just try to stay positive,wife as the moose draw so i get to try to call one in for her thats my priority for the this year.

HarryToolips
08-05-2013, 09:10 AM
if someone has a griz draw they should be allowed to take it over bait, it's the
Cause it makes sense and making sense and the government just don't go hand in hand!!

Glenny
08-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Still waiting for the guys that head out on the morning hunt with one shell in their pocket, to chime in.. :mrgreen:

t-rexer
08-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Got that beat I met a hunter up in grizz country who goes out with his bolt in his pocket! I told him that's irresponsible and plain stupid. He's worried about accidental discharge, I say he has a death wish

Fella
08-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Got that beat I met a hunter up in grizz country who goes out with his bolt in his pocket! I told him that's irresponsible and plain stupid. He's worried about accidental discharge, I say he has a death wish

Does he not realize that he doesn't have to have a round in the chamber?

Elkaddict
08-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Did you stop to think that you will more than likely have more than the one bear you have the tag for come to your bait station? What do you do about all the ones you have now started to habituate but can't harvest??

Darksith
08-05-2013, 09:39 PM
darksith, you don't think what Treadwell did was "risky"?
you just think his chance increased.
I think he exponentially increased his risk of a grizzly attack by going where he went.

the more time one spends around bears, the more risk there is of a bad encounter.

Of course what Treadwell did was risky, but he went to live with bears in bear country. So he did increase his risk. If it was exponentially increased, he wouldn't of lasted so long. Exponentially increased from what? Living in the city? I think there are a lot of variables that have to be considered when you say things like spend time around bears. That can be a very broad statement, and one can do it safely. Treadwell put himself in harms way, not just on open plains, but in thick brush, and with bear cubs. To compare him to someone on a hunt in the mountains is comparing apples and oranges.

I think this was a very good thread, and I hope the OP and anyone else curious about bears and the dinner bell realize that they are just bears, they aren't out there to eat you, and you don't need to fear them, but making smart decisions about handling your animal after the shot is always important, but not something you need to panic about.

Darksith
08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
there's really no way to prove whether the bear smelled the blood and that's what drew it in, or that it was alerted by the gunshot first and headed that direction to investigate.

what??? that would be so easy to test...not that I care though

Darksith
08-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Excellent post!

I mainly bow hunt, and usually alone. I don't have the luxury of carrying a backup rifle. That said. Whether rifle or bow hunting, alone or not, always bring black pepper. It is fantastic at reducing the smell of gut piles or blood, and as a bonus, it almost eliminates attracting flies. And as you should know, flies have the best sense of smell in the business. You can buy the pepper in bulk for cheap at the grocery stores. Just make sure you sprinkle LOTS of it ALL OVER the animal, especially chest cavity, head/nasal area, gut pile and on ANY blood. It will not negatively affect the meat one least bit.

Great also on hanging meat. Been doing this for decades. I just don't know why more hunters aren't aware of this.:roll:

I highly doubt that black pepper does anything to hide the smell from a bear...no different than packing drugs in coffee to trick dogs...don't work. That being said, it could help with your nose detecting the smell, and help on all other points noted.

rides bike to work
08-05-2013, 10:27 PM
After the animal is down make lots of noise fire up a chain saw crank the acdc.keep lots of shells with you so you can give plenty of warning shots to an approaching grizz.

my dad and uncle have been hunting the kootneys for 30 years and haven't seen a grizz yet

hunter1947
08-06-2013, 03:16 AM
I have had grizzlies come in on my elk calling but never had one come in after shooting an elk or deer it will be 44 years hunting up here in the EK so this tells you that chances are low that you will have this happen ,,just be aware of your surrounds at all times..

brutus
08-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Grizz atack is like winning the 6/49 slim chance but it does happen,be aware and enjoy hunting the best place on earth

123.brewski
08-06-2013, 06:31 AM
probably a better chance just bumping into one. A partner of mine had to shoot a sow that charged him while sneaking through the thick river bottom of the Kootenay river. There has been increasing griz activity down there in the last 10 years. Never usded to see any sign, now there appears to be a stong population. My father also found where someone had shot an elk the evening before, and obviosly knew the bear was in the area. I guess they planned on returning the next morning to retrieve it. They had lit a fire next to the elk, and tied it to a tree. My father was intrigued to see who was camping down there, so went over to investigate. He found a smoldering fire, and a bunch of loose dirt, with a rope going down into it. He pulled on the rope to see where it went , and an elk hofe poped up. Griz had burried the whole thing. Not a good feeling to be standing on top of it he told me. I'm sure those bears are well fed on gut piles down there, with all the hunters that are now killing elk from bow season, senior/ youth, g.o.s. antlerless, and six points. Pretty steady smorg for about 6 weeks. I wouldn't doubt these ones can connect the dots of gun shots. I've found some new places to hunt, left this one to the out of towners, and griz.

Fella
08-06-2013, 07:51 AM
There are so many other things that will kill you first, a grizz attack isn't worth fretting about. Just use your wits and you'll be fine. How many grizzly attacks are there in bc every year compared to how many people go into the back country?

HarryToolips
08-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Awesome thanks guys..can't wait for the season..

Darksith
08-06-2013, 08:59 AM
probably a better chance just bumping into one. A partner of mine had to shoot a sow that charged him while sneaking through the thick river bottom of the Kootenay river. There has been increasing griz activity down there in the last 10 years. Never usded to see any sign, now there appears to be a stong population. My father also found where someone had shot an elk the evening before, and obviosly knew the bear was in the area. I guess they planned on returning the next morning to retrieve it. They had lit a fire next to the elk, and tied it to a tree. My father was intrigued to see who was camping down there, so went over to investigate. He found a smoldering fire, and a bunch of loose dirt, with a rope going down into it. He pulled on the rope to see where it went , and an elk hofe poped up. Griz had burried the whole thing. Not a good feeling to be standing on top of it he told me. I'm sure those bears are well fed on gut piles down there, with all the hunters that are now killing elk from bow season, senior/ youth, g.o.s. antlerless, and six points. Pretty steady smorg for about 6 weeks. I wouldn't doubt these ones can connect the dots of gun shots. I've found some new places to hunt, left this one to the out of towners, and griz.

dang, that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up...I have a buddy who was charged by a grizz defending a kill that was buried. Thats the time you really are somewhere you don't want to be when talking about grizz

hunterdon
08-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I highly doubt that black pepper does anything to hide the smell from a bear...no different than packing drugs in coffee to trick dogs...don't work. That being said, it could help with your nose detecting the smell, and help on all other points noted.

You've obviously have no experience with using black pepper. After you've tried/tested it, then you can be sure one way or the other. As for the fooling of the dogs with drugs in coffee, the flies and ravens sure seem fooled.

Darksith
08-06-2013, 01:47 PM
You've obviously have no experience with using black pepper. After you've tried/tested it, then you can be sure one way or the other. As for the fooling of the dogs with drugs in coffee, the flies and ravens sure seem fooled.

I have not used black pepper you are right, but I understand how scents work, and to add to/cover up a scent doesn't remove the molucule from the air, and if you don't remove scent molecules from the air then a highly specialized and powerful nose of a bear will still be able to pick up that scent molecule and process it. When they can smell blood from a km away, a few pepper scent molecules floating around too won't make much of a difference. Now all this being said I would like to apologize if I came across as attacking, or disrespecting. That wasn't my intent. Just don't want someone using pepper and making an assumption that nothing will be coming simply because they used pepper. A fly and a raven do not have the same nose as a bear or a dog, and if pepper had some amazing scent molecule blocking property Im sure the drug runners would be packing everything in pepper, but they don't. Is pepper effective, yes sir I 100% believe you. If you use pepper will a bear not detect your gut pile, and thus not come to feed on it? That I would not bet on

WILDCAT CHARLIE
08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
After hunting the East Kootenays, especially the Elk Valley region. I have come to realize that the real dinner bell is any Primos elk call. I have had many situations where grizzly bears have sneaked in to within 20 yards in thick brush thinking they are to about to feed on some elk. Mostly on avalanche slides where the alders are high and visibility is low. I always stay on the edge of an opening so i can have a clear shot at an animal, but it is nerve racking when the brown object that is coming through the brush pops out and it isn't an elk. One particular bear took over ten shots from three of us in its direction before it even thought about leaving.Seems like once they think you are food its hard to change there mind.

GoatGuy
08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Go hunting, if you shoot an elk get it quartered up and back to camp ASAP. Don't leave it overnight, or get tired and put in a half @ss effort.

Have fun.

There are grizzlies across most of BC. You can have a run-in anywhere.

.300WSMImpact!
08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I hope to ring the bell, GONG, or I mean BANG, I invite the challenge

OutWest
08-06-2013, 08:55 PM
For the guys that actually believe this theory, why don't you go out into grizz country and fire a shot off. Then hang around for a while and see if they come in ;)

08-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I've had a few interesting grizzly encounters (not including the ones while actually hunting grizzly).

A couple of years ago, I helped my friend get his first elk. There were a lot of fresh grizzly tracks in the mud near where the elk was killed. As we were skinning the elk, we heard a loud "huff" , and the sound of a large animal crashing through the heavy bush towards us. We quickly grabbed our rifles and fired and yelled. That turned the animal, and it never came in. Never did see it, as the bush in the WK is so damn thick, but I'm quite certain it was the grizzly that left those tracks. Anyway, to play it safe, we built a big fire near the elk, hoping it would serve as a deterrent.

Sheep hunting two years ago, my buddy and I also had a couple of grizzly encounters. It was early August, and we were back in camp for the evening. It was about 10:00 PM, and I thought I would give the hills above camp one final glass before retiring, when I spotted a grizzly walking a ridge above camp. It made its way towards camp, and when it saw us, it charged, although it was still over 100 yards away. We yelled and made a commotion, and it slowly wandered off. I found it difficult to sleep that night.

Fast forward to 8 days later, and we had two rams in camp. Capes, horns, meat, etc. Must have smelled like a buffet to any carnivore. I awoke about midnight to pee, and while doing so looked around camp with my Black Diamond Icon headlamp. The Icon has a super intense spotlight function, and lo and behold about 100 yards away from camp, sitting on a slope above our tent, sits a large grizzly. Obviously it was contemplating a foray into camp. I woke my partner, and we scared it off with rifle shots and yelling. The rest of that long night was spent tending a tiny fire fed with small alpine birch twigs. It was an inky black night with no moonlight, which added to the tension. We were both happy to see dawn break.

Anyway, as provincial grizzly numbers continue to increase, I expect encounters will become more and more common.

hunter1947
08-07-2013, 03:59 AM
Myself and Trigger from this forum where set up in where I hunt for elk in my hunting area we set up near a timber line overlooking a slash the time was late evening I was resting for a shut eye while Scott was cow calling for elk we where there for about 30min when I hear Scott say Wayne we got company I said what do you mean he said a grizzly is coming in over there .

I then looked over where he was pointing and sure enough there was a big brown boar grizzly coming straight for us he was walking he said should we fire a shot over to one side of him I said sure so Scott fired his 30-06 in front of this Griz the bear at this time was about 150 yards out coming right towards us.

After the shot was fired the bear did not even stop the bear just kept coming towards us the bear now was about 125 yards from us so I said I will fire a shot just in front of this bear with my 7mm mag so I did the bear still did not stop walking towards us so I said lets get the hell out of here so we did we kept an eye on the bear as we where hightailing back up onto the old road above us.

The bear never did start running towards us but we kept looking over our shoulders to make sure this bear was not running towards us when he saw us hightailing it up the slash my advice is to keep very alert if you are set up and elk calling this incidence was about the 5th time over my elk hunting years that when calling elk a grizzly has come into elk calls..

hunterdon
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Fair enough Darksith. I appreciate your sincerity.

However, for those who have not used black pepper as a cover scent, such as yourself, I will explain a little more on just how it works. First, it does have a strong odor of it's own which does mask other scents somewhat. But much more importantly. when it is applied over a mucus/damp or wet surface, in liberal amounts, it forms a paste which quickly dries when enough is put on it. This creates a skinning or temporary barrier, not unlike a sheet of plastic which does prevent those other scent molecules from within, escaping.

So, bottom line is, it traps animal blood and other scents from waffling into the air. Not 100 percent maybe, but very close. The whole idea behind using black pepper is not to fool proof against a bear's nose, but to greatly REDUCE the chance of a bear smelling the dead animal, and coming to it's source.

It really does work, but of course, one should always expect the unexpected and be prepared in that event.8)

Darksith
08-07-2013, 09:40 AM

However, for those who have not used black pepper as a cover scent, such as yourself, I will explain a little more on just how it works. First, it does have a strong odor of it's own which does mask other scents somewhat. But much more importantly. when it is applied over a mucus/damp or wet surface, in liberal amounts, it forms a paste which quickly dries when enough is put on it. This creates a skinning or temporary barrier, not unlike a sheet of plastic which does prevent those other scent molecules from within, escaping.

So, bottom line is, it traps animal blood and other scents from waffling into the air. Not 100 percent maybe, but very close. The whole idea behind using black pepper is not to fool proof against a bear's nose, but to greatly REDUCE the chance of a bear smelling the dead animal, and coming to it's source.

It really does work, but of course, one should always expect the unexpected and be prepared in that event.8)

Are you gutting the animal or doing a gutless dress out? I just think of when I shoot a moose, all the blood when I gut it. It would take a 50lb bag of pepper to cover up all that blood. And sometimes it takes a lot of effort to dress and haul out all of the meat. How much pepper do you pack, and what species are you using it on? I will most certainly be doing an Aug hunt eventually, and I will definitely give the pepper trick a try. Or are you simply using the pepper to keep your hanging game free of flys and critters? I will be doing a trip into the rockies next year hopefully and Im always on the hunt for new tricks and tips.

silvertipp
08-07-2013, 10:36 AM
For the guys that actually believe this theory, why don't you go out into grizz country and fire a shot off. Then hang around for a while and see if they come in ;)

x2 ive never heard of anyone haveing a problem while out target shooting

hunterdon
08-07-2013, 11:01 AM
All great questions Darksith. I've made myself a kit dress out kit, which among other things contains a hatchet, cheese cloth, wash rag, one litre of white vinegar and 1 litre container of black pepper. One litre is all you need. I prefer gutting over gutless. My thinking is that the gutless method takes too much time. Yes weight is reduced by using the gutless method, but it is more important to me to get the animal and myself out as quickly as possible. That is especially critical when darkness starts to set in. Remember, I usually hunt alone, and the gutless method works much better with 2 pairs of hands. As I do all my own butchering, I can dispense with the cutting up of the meat/deboning in the field and do this at home. Of course, quartering an animal in the field is mandatory when large game such as moose is involved, unless you have nearby appropriate equipment or you're built like King Kong. lol Which I'm not.

For smaller game such as deer or bear,(I prefer younger bears-much better eating) I do not pepper guts, as I will be taking the animal out in one piece and do not have to return. I feel much better, thinking that if there is a bear in the area, it is better that he is feeding on a fresh gut pile than trying to follow my scent through the bush. On a moose for example if I cannot take all edible portions in one taking, and have to return, I definitely pepper the guts and remaining bloody area with pepper.

When late season hunting, such as when snow is present, I do not pepper. I have taken out whole moose by myself using a large plastic toboggan, as long as snow is not to deep. No need to worry about flies.
When early season hunting, I definitely pepper the carcass immediately after gutting and while hanging overnight. This protects the meat from the blowflies, and spoilage bacteria, as bacteria also comes from the air. I'll usually go over the carcass once or twice more each day with pepper thus ensuring a good protective coating. This coating not only protects against flies and airborne bacteria, but also reduces meat moisture loss, which has an effect on the tenderness of the meat when consuming. Each time you pepper, it builds up this protective skin a bit more as explained earlier.

I know this all sounds strange to many, as it did to me when I first heard of it. Actually I first heard of this when a good outfitter guide friend of mine showed me an article in the newspaper, well....... about 40 years ago. Lol. It was in the Thunderbay Ontario newspaper. The article was about a gentleman (can't remember his name). They called him "The Moose Hunter". It was this man who explained about the use of black pepper and how it worked.
So, I tried it. It worked perfect for me for several decades. Some of the best deer we've ever eaten was early season mule deer prepared and hung this way. Meat was absolutely tender and tasty! Hung for 3 days even when daytime temperatures reached 25C. But, that's with the hide on, as the hide helps to moderate the meat temperature fluctuations. But, that's a different topic, for another time maybe.

hunterdon
08-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Good luck on your trip, Darksith, and let us know how the black pepper works.

horshur
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't believe the theory at all....what I have noticed in several instances of shooting at game that is unaware of my presence is that they often hardly react, as if the shot is just thunder...and when hit they also will flee the wrong direction right into our laps on occasion...when they are aware and alert of our presence it is different but even in a herd one may be aware and shot the rest are unclear what the hell went on...I have even had wolves run into my lap.
We should not underestimate a bears nose....the concept that pepper will help is insane!

the thing that dogs and animals smell is not what we sense with our pathetic nose..we have no frame of reference..cannot even identify. If the conditions are favorable, wind or thermals, humidity a bear is gonna wind scent a couple miles but that really isn't the whole story..in late fall grizzlies are actively seeking protein and fat they need it bad and so they will be working the wind for that aim....they are gonna know where to walk and stand to search the wind.

years ago I shot a small muley buck. Back to end of E.kettle in a high block..dad and I were tagged out for mule deer....moved 20 km or so down into the kettle maybe find a whitetail....met a buddy. hung the already skinned buck in a tree between two campers....we had a grizzly between the two campers that night.....

If the bear catches wind of your kill it will also know you were there....and if it is important enough he isn't gonna care. When those Okanogan guys were killed up the Albert ...the bear went in there fully knowing cause they come in with the wind in there favour...hell throw men out of the equation a bear has got to know if another bear in on the kill..sow with a cub especially.... the other thing we miss out on is scent communication...a bear can put itself where another can scent it and there is a whole lot to that we can't know but a dominant boar conceivable could reveal itself by scent as a warning first to get the hell out of dodge but us ignorant handicapped humans miss it.....we miss out on more then we don't..

A good book to read on the subject that you can also get on interlibrary loan....."Meet Mr. Grizzly" Montague Steven. An 1890's houndsmen and grizzly hunter.

J_T
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
The easiest way to protect yourself from Grizzlies in the EK is to go somewhere else. You will find them in the strangest places. Two years ago, we got pushed out of our zone because there were just too many, 11 grizzlies (we counted) in the area and they were becoming very comfortable around us. One followed my Father in to his tree stand at about 15 yards.

We've called lots of grizzlies in using cow calls and we've been bumped off elk kill by grizzlies.

We've had numerous (less than 20 yard) encounters and a couple under 2 or 3 yards. We've never had contact. Have shot toward them, never with the intent to harm. Have had close conversations with them and always convinced them to go elsewhere. These are usually loud conversations.

We hunt with bow only and if you are at all concerned when packing your rifle, think about how you manage potential conflict in the forest when you are not the top of the food chain. More recently we've all begun packing some increased level of defence.

If you have an animal down, get your meat away from the gut pile as quick as you can.

GoatGuy
08-07-2013, 12:09 PM

A bear's sense of smell is hundreds of thousands of times better than humans and also better than a dog's sense of smell. If you think you're fooling them by peppering your meat, the only thing you're fooling is yourself.

hunterdon
08-07-2013, 12:32 PM
A bear's sense of smell is hundreds of thousands of times better than humans and also better than a dog's sense of smell. If you think you're fooling them by peppering your meat, the only thing you're fooling is yourself.

"hundreds of thousands"? who's fooling who?

Darksith
08-07-2013, 01:06 PM
A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human.Bears acute sense of smell evolved in order to help them find food, mates, keep track of their cubs and avoid danger, particularly between competing individuals. Except for mother bears, bears are territorial animals that need to range widely to find enough food to sustain themselves. A bear’s sense of smell is so acute that they can detect animal carcases upwind and from a distance of 20 miles away. A polar bear (off topic a bit) can detect a seal carcass from 100miles!

Darksith
08-07-2013, 01:09 PM
so you can understand some doubt that pepper would do much to trick a bear...just because one hasn't bumped into you on a kill doesn't mean they don't know what you got and where you are. That being said, I still believe that pepper can be a handy tool, but I don't believe it will hide you or a kill from a bear, and I will be packing pepper to deal with the flys and other pests.

Elkaddict
08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Hunterdon, do you simply sprinkle a thick coating on the meat or do you rub it in to get the "skin" you speak of?

hunterdon
08-07-2013, 01:31 PM
so you can understand some doubt that pepper would do much to trick a bear...just because one hasn't bumped into you on a kill doesn't mean they don't know what you got and where you are. That being said, I still believe that pepper can be a handy tool, but I don't believe it will hide you or a kill from a bear, and I will be packing pepper to deal with the flys and other pests.

I agree. Some certainly will have a tough time believing that pepper will have any effect whatsoever on a bear's detecting sense of smell. But, I just get a little frustrated with folks who are quick to dismiss without ever having any experience on the subject. It's always best to approach a subject with an open mind, until you KNOW better. But if it reduces the risk by say 50 percent, is not that worth the effort? I believe your post on a bear's sense of smell is much more realistic.
There's an old native saying that the " the deer sees the leaf fall, the moose hears the leaf fall, but the bear smells the leaf fall"
That pretty much sums it up for me.

hunterdon
08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
I did a little internet search and found the obituary of the gentleman I was speaking of. "The Moose Hunter". Apparently his article "The Black Pepper Way" was published in the Ontario Out of Doors magazine. But I could not find it. Maybe someone who's better on the internet that I am (not hard to do) can find the article and post it. It would be greatly appreciated. Here's the link about the gentleman I was referring to earlier.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/obituaries/allen/andre

Darksith
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
it would honestly take a real experiment to prove one way or another without doubt, but that being said I wouldn't dismiss that it may do something in regards to bear detection. Either way the moral of the story of this thread is, "don't be afraid of being eaten by a bear just because you shoot something in bear country, but don't be blind to the fact that you are in bear country".

hunterdon
08-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Hunterdon, do you simply sprinkle a thick coating on the meat or do you rub it in to get the "skin" you speak of?

You don't rub it in. Just sprinkle a generous amount on the entire animal. You don't have to on the hide, except at the entry/exit points where there will be blood. Wherever there is moisture, the black pepper will immediately stick to it and make this skin coating as mentioned. If a dry area, the pepper just falls off. So, best to apply asap while it is moist.

I like to first give a quick washing out of the chest cavity with a diluted white vinegar water solution. 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water works good. Then, since everything is now cleaner and moist then sprinkle the pepper while turning the animal to allow for the pepper to drop on and coat all areas. If you prefer to take the hide off, make sure you do the same on the meat. I don't. I prefer to keep the hide on until I arrive at home. Keeps dirt and debris of meat.

Before butchering, I simply wash/rinse the pepper off the meat then, with the same solution. If you take to the butcher, he will easily wash this off also. Any residue/sticky pepper left on meat will have no effect whatsoever. In warm weather conditions, make sure to concentrate on the head/nasal area, chest cavity and anywhere where there is blood, as this is where those blowflies will be attracted to. Of course, you have to check for any dripping blood and re sprinkle occasionally or the flies will be back.

Sorry, I know I'm a bit long winded. Just trying to help out my fellow hunters, and not knowing at what stage they are at.

GoatGuy
08-07-2013, 02:58 PM
I agree. Some certainly will have a tough time believing that pepper will have any effect whatsoever on a bear's detecting sense of smell. But, I just get a little frustrated with folks who are quick to dismiss without ever having any experience on the subject. It's always best to approach a subject with an open mind, until you KNOW better. But if it reduces the risk by say 50 percent, is not that worth the effort? I believe your post on a bear's sense of smell is much more realistic.
There's an old native saying that the " the deer sees the leaf fall, the moose hears the leaf fall, but the bear smells the leaf fall"
That pretty much sums it up for me.

There's always two approaches to these sorts of issues; there's science and then there's beliefs.

You 'assertion' falls under the belief category.

Science says what you believe is wrong.

Darksith
08-07-2013, 03:13 PM
There's always two approaches to these sorts of issues; there's science and then there's beliefs.

You 'assertion' falls under the belief category.

Science says what you believe is wrong.
thats not entirely true either though. Wet blood/carrion Im sure will give off more scent molecules than the same dry. So if the pepper helps speed up the drying of the moisture, it will slow how many scent molecules are given off. Im sure the pepper will also capture some of the scent molecules, which will also help. Its silly to dismiss it 100%, and like stated, it could help even if only in a small part (could shorten the distance a bear would be able to detect the scent). A true test would need to be conducted to determine how much benefit if any pepper has when talking about detection by bears. It may in fact help, but Im sure none here can say by how much it will help unequivocally. But if it helps with the flies and other issues that arise from downing an animal in hot weather, then is it not an asset to have in your arsenal? Just a different topic is all.

GoatGuy
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Maybe pepper covered canned beens?
Pepper scent infused coolers?
Maybe you guys should start selling pepper covered tampons?

I'm sure these items would be a HUGE sell for the local growers industry as well. The joys of beliefs.

swampthing
08-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Go have fun. If a guy worried about g-bears all the time he wouldnt get much productive hunting done. Be cautious but remember, you are the one with the gun.

GoatGuy
08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
I have an idea for an experiment:

1) Take a dump
2) cover in pepper
3) pick up turd
4) see if hand stinks

Please report back.

Darksith
08-07-2013, 05:05 PM
how about I take a dump on your porch, cover it in pepper and see if you can find it? You let me know when you do. No need to get silly, I personally don't buy that pepper is gonna prevent a bear from detecting a gut pile, but Im also not gonna say that it doesn't do anything what so ever

GoatGuy
08-07-2013, 05:45 PM
how about I take a dump on your porch, cover it in pepper and see if you can find it? You let me know when you do. No need to get silly, I personally don't buy that pepper is gonna prevent a bear from detecting a gut pile, but Im also not gonna say that it doesn't do anything what so ever

Not the one that needs to be convinced how well a bear can smell. Science has already done that.:-D

Wrayzer
08-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Too many guys around here think thiers doesn't stink to begin with...:mrgreen:

I have an idea for an experiment:

1) Take a dump
2) cover in pepper
3) pick up turd
4) see if hand stinks

Please report back.

tundra
08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Too many guys around here think thiers doesn't stink to begin with...:mrgreen:

x2 Good call

bridger
08-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Have hunted lots of moose and elk in august blow flies can be an issue. We carry breathable fly proof meat bags at all times. Skin, quarter, and bag immeditly, hang up high in a shady spot no fly issue.

hunterdon
08-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Well said. Good to see you at least you have an open mind.

Big Lew
08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Have hunted lots of moose and elk in august blow flies can be an issue. We carry breathable fly proof meat bags at all times. Skin, quarter, and bag immeditly, hang up high in a shady spot no fly issue.

Totally agree....90% of my hunting over the last many years has been the first 2 weeks of September in very hot conditions. Like "bridger" suggests, I also use breathable fly proof bags and skin, quarter, and bag immediately. If I don't make a run for a cooler, I find a cool shady ravine etc. and hang up high. I've never had a blow fly, or any other problem.

hunterdon
08-08-2013, 05:58 PM
"I don’t see how rubbing pepper on meat would keep the bear away. Another old wives tales!"

Oh, another guesser.

"Article-The blowfly is one of the first threats to our harvest because it quickly locates our kill site and begins to deposit eggs onto exposed meat
surfaces"

So, tell me. Just how do you think the blowfly locates the meat? Does he see the meat? or does he hear the meat? or does he SMELL the meat!
So please tell me sirs. And, I'm also asking professor Goat Guy - since he seems to be up in his science studies.

Just how exactly does the putting on of black pepper on meat, deter the blow flies? Don't tell me it's because they don't like the color black.
You guys crack me up. You talk about things with certainty yet you really just don't know. You're guessing.

So really. Just how does the blowflie locate the meat? And why not after using black pepper? Explain it scientifically if you will. I'm all ears!!!

brutus
08-08-2013, 07:37 PM
lol how did this happen from grizz assosiating gun shot to gut pile to black pepper and blow flies.one thing for sure i rather run in to a blow flie than a pissed off grizz lmao

HarryToolips
08-08-2013, 08:24 PM
lol how did this happen from grizz assosiating gun shot to gut pile to black pepper and blow flies.one thing for sure i rather run in to a blow flie than a pissed off grizz lmao
LOL!! I am definitely gonna use the pepper, as I'm sure it won't even come close to stopping all the smell, yet it will help a bit plus help with the flies so what the hell may as well bring it eh..now here's another question for you experienced griz people: if ya had time for a warning shot, and it doesn't deter it is it a good idea to start a blastin the bear for safety's sake if enough time?? Not scared just very curious as to what y'all would do...

GoatGuy
08-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Would guess it acts as a repellent, not a 'invisibility scent cover', much the way mosquito spray repels mosquitos but does not make you turn you in to a sasquatch.

The anecdotal side of me wants to talk about the bears sense of smell, how they will dig up irrigation pipes for minerals, open freezers with meat inside them, dig up through the floors of cabins that have been vacant for months, dig 10' into an avalanche to eat a mountain goat that was killed, and a million other stories, but alas I don't think it will change the opinion. You are entitled to it and if you think pepper helps keep the bears away all the power to you.

It reminds me of the folks who covered themselves of bear spray to make sure they didn't get eaten.

One of my favs:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts.

GoatGuy
08-08-2013, 08:39 PM
LOL!! I am definitely gonna use the pepper, as I'm sure it won't even come close to stopping all the smell, yet it will help a bit plus help with the flies so what the hell may as well bring it eh..now here's another question for you experienced griz people: if ya had time for a warning shot, and it doesn't deter it is it a good idea to start a blastin the bear for safety's sake if enough time?? Not scared just very curious as to what y'all would do...

Grizzlies will usually let you know what the plan is; either they're coming or they aren't and they're thinkers. If they're coming in to an elk call usually yelling will deter them - sometimes you have to hit them in the face with the bugle if they don't leave. Most of the times they don't know what you are.

Black bears are a very different beast - can't trust 'em.

Lastly, better to err on the side of safety, then dead.

Spy
08-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Ive used pepper before & it dont work that great for flys.

brutus
08-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Warning shot sometimes work but not all the time,my buddy add to shoot a sow and two cubs a couple years back after tree warning shot,they add him circle and were going to have him for dinner.that was in the Christian valley a few years back.for me warning shot first if that don't work and I feel my life is in danger I will shoot to kill period.a few previous encounter add me on the edge and I will not take a chance.like the other guy said black bears are unpredictable too but seem to react different to warning shot the ones that got too close bolted after a warning shot.

BiG Boar
08-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Ive used pepper before & it dont work that great for flys.

I tried pepper a while back on a hot summer August hunt. I can't believe how well it worked. Skinned the buck, it was just covered in flies, finished up, sprinkled pepper, and they just disappeared. Pretty incredible actually. I thought before that it was an old wives tale. Now I take it on every hunt.

Spy
08-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I tried pepper a while back on a hot summer August hunt. I can't believe how well it worked. Skinned the buck, it was just covered in flies, finished up, sprinkled pepper, and they just disappeared. Pretty incredible actually. I thought before that it was an old wives tale. Now I take it on every hunt.
I had my moose quarters hanging in game bags, 2 years ago. It was warm 20+c I poured a 500g container of black pepper all over the game bags. The flys were sitting on all the blood spots with the pepper. Maybe they were pepper flys. Sorry did not work for me.

HarryToolips
08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Warning shot sometimes work but not all the time,my buddy add to shoot a sow and two cubs a couple years back after tree warning shot,they add him circle and were going to have him for dinner.that was in the Christian valley a few years back.for me warning shot first if that don't work and I feel my life is in danger I will shoot to kill period.a few previous encounter add me on the edge and I will not take a chance.like the other guy said black bears are unpredictable too but seem to react different to warning shot the ones that got too close bolted after a warning shot.
Sounds like good advice...