PDA

View Full Version : Cougar attack at cultus lake

rides bike to work
08-01-2013, 06:19 PM
A local hiker escaped a face to face confrontation with a cougar on teapot hill unharmed but shaken wendsday. Gemma summers told the times she and her English springer spaniel Lilly were most of the way up tea pot hill when she heard a large animal in the bush as summers turned to retreat down the hill she found herself face to face with a large cougar.
"I made as much noise as I could and I was yelling and the cougar kind of cocked his head a little bit And moved towards the bush she said I thought I scared it off so I went to turn and run down the hill and as I turned it leapt at me it was a foot over from me and it was swatting at me and my dog. Summers said the cougar came up to her chest" I was yelling as loud as I could and trying to back off slowly "she said I got another 5 feet away from it and rushed up and it didn't want to leave me I tried to get away like three times and it was not letting me go I was just screaming and screaming and I thought it wanted my dog summer said she eventually put some distance between herself and the cat when it turned his head and she said she bolted down the hill. As she ran she said she could hear the cougar running alongside her and her dog in the bush a little more than halfway down the trail she said the cougar seem to give up the pursuit Summers kept screaming and eventually came across to other hikers who called police on their way down the hill to three came across a conservation officer who said psalmist Summers was fortunate to escape she said he speculated that the animal could be protecting a chill in the area.

i have seen a lot of cougars in this area 3 in Columbia valley and two along the road near cultus lake as well a kitten in a girl once.

Legi0n
08-01-2013, 06:29 PM
...a kitten in a girl...

:confused::confused::confused:

sawmill
08-01-2013, 06:36 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Psalmist???

landphil
08-01-2013, 07:03 PM
"protecting a chill in the area"

Cold beer is worth protecting!

Fella
08-01-2013, 07:05 PM
My wife jogs that trail often. She also does elk mtn. A fair amount. Time to do a refresher on what to do in case a cougar comes around, lesson one being don't run! Someone should have told the girl in the story that...

Gs31
08-01-2013, 08:19 PM
lots of coug's hangin' around cultas......most are married though

TyTy
08-01-2013, 08:23 PM
lots of deer there. lots of lush, high productive area there in the chilliwack and columbia valleys

TyTy
08-01-2013, 08:26 PM
in my experiences out there, not as many bears as i would expect, and probably no wolves there... yet

bigslim
08-01-2013, 08:36 PM
A thought to ponder....
Do you not think if the Cougar was going to attack it would have????
Would have to think any Cougar could catch a slow moving clumsy human in a heart beat????

Big Lew
08-01-2013, 08:45 PM
My wife jogs that trail often. She also does elk mtn. A fair amount. Time to do a refresher on what to do in case a cougar comes around, lesson one being don't run! Someone should have told the girl in the story that...
I'm actually surprised that more joggers and cyclists don't have cat problems, especially considering our ever-increasing health conscious population pushing into their territory. It's very easy to become complacent when running or cycling on roads and trails adjacent to popular recreational areas. I know, I used to thoroughly enjoy the 'rush' of running long distances along twisty trails...you just want to go faster and faster, but the more intense and faster you go, the less you pay attention, think about the potential cat and bear dangers, or have time to react. I got busted up physically in 2000, so had to stop running....maybe on the plus side, I might have had animal problems myself.

allan
08-01-2013, 11:03 PM
There's been several cats in Columbia valley, the most recent story with cats close to people was when a friend of my inlaws (they live in columbia valley) had a cat kill and eat a deer under their bed room window this summer. There was huge blood smears across the siding of their house. The cat had eaten its fill and buried the rest very close to the house. They had the bedroom window open and never heard a thing!
I had a cat in feb killing and eating my grandmas sheep and dog. Not 80 yds from where my kids, 4 and 5 years old play.
Fortunatly there was someone who helped me track and kill that one (with my bow!) and that cat is now at the taxidermist. Healthy cat just got used to eating sheep.
Neighbor across the road killed a second cat a little while later that was eating his goats.
Im not usually for killing these amazing animals but if they get used to killing livestock and being close to people it's only a matter of time before a young child gets attacked.
My inlaws have lived there since the early 50's and have never had a year with Predator problems like this.

digger dogger
08-02-2013, 07:41 AM
As I headed to to town yesterday, I had a C.O, pass me doing mach 1..
I thought, where the fog is he going so fast?
Now I know!

Sofa King
08-02-2013, 10:35 AM
still waiting to read about an attack.
if that cat was planning to attack her, she wouldn't have escaped without a mark, nor her dog.

Fella
08-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I think that when she ran the cats instincts told it "running creature, I should chase it" I bet of she had backed away and made herself look bigger it would have left her alone.

BradB
08-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I think that when she ran the cats instincts told it "running creature, I should chase it" I bet of she had backed away and made herself look bigger it would have left her alone.

Yep. A case of poor judgement on the woman's part. We've had cougars in our work compound right next to the waterpark. It's really nice cougar country but I guess being so close to town, people don't really think about it.

adriaticum
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Who gets the rug?

Fella
08-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Yep. A case of poor judgement on the woman's part. We've had cougars in our work compound right next to the waterpark. It's really nice cougar country but I guess being so close to town, people don't really think about it.

If I'm correct the progress interviewed a different couple who said they made a bunch of loud noise and the cat left them alone.

digger dogger
08-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Who gets the rug?

The garbage can!!!!

Sofa King
08-02-2013, 05:36 PM
If I'm correct the progress interviewed a different couple who said they made a bunch of loud noise and the cat left them alone.

so pretty much, this lady "baited" that cougar.
another animal needlessly killed.
at least they could have let a hunter go and harvest it.

houndogger
08-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Who gets the rug?
Goes to auction.