PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi bound!

albravo2
07-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Ever since Gathto's Tuchodi thread last year I've been trying to figure out how to make it happen for me and my 14 yr old son, Novemberbravo. Last year was our first year hunting and I wasn't expecting to fulfill a hunting dream so quickly but the last few pieces of the puzzle fell into place a few weeks ago and we are headed upriver with Kevin from Riverjet Adventures on Aug 15.

As new hunters, its hard not to come off like 'those guys' buying a jet boat ride into great hunting territory with shiny new gear and very little actual hunting knowledge but we're doing our best. We've spent a ton of time at the range and have been researching the area as best we can. I know there's no substitute for experience but we've been consuming books on elk hunting and poring over the threads on this site.

Any advice will be gratefully taken.

I'm more experienced at picture taking and storytelling than I am at gutting an elk, so stay tuned for updates.

07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Been there done it, beautiful place your headed, take all tags available bust your ass and it will pay off. Sheep, Elk, Moose, giddy up ! Go get em ! Not to alarm you but ...... they area has a heavy population of G Bear so watch your back at all times, when not actually hunting or stalking, make some noise.......... they are there and not always happy to be in your company. That said, they are schooled on meat theft or gut piles so BE CAREFUL. Take a Sat Phone, they are worth their weight in GOLD !

Good luck, looking forward to the story and pic's.

CT

bridger
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Go and have fun the rest will look after itself. Good luck!

Weatherby Fan
07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
That sounds like an awesome trip Al, you guys will have a riot.
Looking forward to lots of pictures.

Charts
07-31-2013, 11:03 AM
here is my advise.....take me

07-31-2013, 11:08 AM
It will be an awesome trip. Northern hunts are incredible!

My only "tip" would be that for elk or moose, be mindful of how far you are from the river when hunting. They are big, heavy animals.

blackwater moose
07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
I have been there, you will have an awesome time. half of the fun is the jet boat trip with Kevan.

SHACK
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Take a packboard for both of you and learn how to bone out an animal. Even a local butcher may let cha watch if you dont know.

shallowH2O
07-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Learn the art of cooling meat down quickly. Been hot up there the last few years.

Jed
07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Get ahold of Deaddog(Jim), he has been going for many years and knows the area very well. I am positive he can give you a lot of useful information

Moose Guide
07-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Watch some videos and learn the gutless method of field dressing!

islander7mm
07-31-2013, 07:59 PM
You have nothing to apologize for. Its freakin sweet that your new to the sport of hunting and taking your son on a trip of a lifetime! I think people get crabby when guys talk like they know it all and don't respect guys who do.
Have a great trip and being a good story teller is a great skill. Can't wait to hear your report.

ElectricDyck
07-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Good luck on your adventure, I'm jealous. You are in good hands with Kevin. Take a bunch of pics and tell the story when you get back, two thumbs up!

Chuck Norris
07-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Watch some videos and learn the gutless method of field dressing!

I highly second this. Field dressing an animal correctly takes practice, but never hurts to start doing it the easiest way possible if you are going to be packing the animal out. Also watch videos on de-boning the quarters afterwards if you are thinking you may want to go that way.

Also if you are thinking of going after a ram (or taking any hide out to get mounted), check out videos on caping and salting the hide afterwards. Nothing ruins a good hunt more than a hide spoiling...

blackbart
07-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Wicked idea for you and your son. Have loads of fun and tell us the story. Everyone started with no experience, only difference is you are headed out to get it on your own. Have fun.

The Silent Stalker
07-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Best of luck on your trip, have a great time with your son and post lots of pics for us that aren't going up there this year.

gathto
08-01-2013, 06:34 AM
This will only be the start of your adventures. Once you've been there your hooked. You'll come home with the most fantastic memories and then be cursed with daydreaming about it everyday until next years hunting season.

PM me if you like.

sheepaholic
08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
ill be up there on the 20th of aug with my two boys age 6 and 7 fishing, camping and maybe shoot an elk but mainly to get my boys out in that country wish i had that oppertunity when i was there age but i got to camp and fish and hunt alot with my grandparents so it was great to
goodluck and have fun

srupp
08-01-2013, 11:39 AM
hmmm echo the advice about Deaddog...best info out there,,,,

as for kevin stand up great guy also...ultimate professional...LSITEN to every word Kevin tells you he is not a talker but you should be listening when he is talking profound amound of advice worth listening to....his sucess is based on word of mouth and photos...you should do REALLY WELL.Best hunt of my life with his company and Scott,,

good luck

Steven

RiverOtter
08-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Did the Tuchodi's last year as well, awsome trip. Dont' forget your fishing rod.......

GreatWhitePopogeebo
08-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Kevin is great guy very accomadating had a blast couple years ago love to go again in couple years so jealous you and your boy are going to have a blast

digginsweatinswearin
08-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Kevin is great guy very accomadating had a blast couple years ago love to go again in couple years so jealous you and your boy are going to have a blast

Me too, you guy's have fun and take lots of pic's :-D

BCOUTDOORED
08-02-2013, 09:59 PM
kevin willis riverjet adventures he is the man you are in good hands

kennyg826
08-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Have a great safe time!

BCOUTDOORED
08-04-2013, 07:15 AM
riverjet adventures kevin willis, he is the man!! i have my own boat and go every year.only because i have to, his prices are a great deal and no worries about getting there and back. definitely a good deal

BlackOwL
08-05-2013, 06:07 PM
here is my advise.....take me

No propositions of that kind please...If loosing self control take Your underwear and leave! LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist = joking :mrgreen:

scratch
08-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Hey nice, myself and 2 other buddies are heading up the Tuchodi with Kevin on the 14th of August.

NovemberBravo
08-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Hey nice, myself and 2 other buddies are heading up the Tuchodi with Kevin on the 14th of August.

Nice. We might just see you up there!

Little Red Man
08-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Pretty stoked for you! My very first elk hunt ever was up the Tuchodi in '98. It was without question the best hunting trip I have EVER been on. I have been up there a couple times since then, up the Tuchodi again, and then the Gatho (some skinny water there!)......again, without question, some of the most beautiful country to hunt.....be prepared though; it is NOT easy hunting.........lots of boot leather can be used up in them mountains.....and as I understand it, you need to get back a range or two from the river these days to get to the animals (although I am sure some folks have some "secret spots" up their sleeve), as there is plenty of pressure. You will definitely want some type of "pack board" to get your animal(s) out, and the only "bone" you really want to be carrying is antlers! Also, you may want to consider "spiking out" from your main camp to get closer to the game. Have a GREAT trip; it will defiantly be one to remember!

albravo2
08-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. I had a great chat with Deaddog (Jim) last night and will chat with him once more before we go up river.

We are equipped for a river camp and a spike camp and are ready to put on some miles. I think I have an understanding of the gutless method and deboning but I'm also pretty sure the first one will be a bit of a mess.

We've tried to strike a balance between being prepared without overpacking but I'm pretty sure we erred on the side of preparation. Sorry, Kevin.

I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow hunters and HBCers. If anyone from here is on the river Aug 15-23 we'd love to share a beer or a coffee.

nap
08-10-2013, 06:40 PM
The Tuchodi trip is something the brothers and I look forward to every year. Running a boat up that river is a thrill in itself. http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/nap-lou/236_zps8cdabe43.jpg?t=1376184799

ElectricDyck
08-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Three brothers that hunt together every year is an accomplishment in itself, awesome times! Nice pic!

Brian011
08-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Good luck, I'll be watching out for your story and pictures when you get back. I'm actually really considering booking a trip with them for next yr.

rdm-ca
09-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Beautiful country indeed to see but as for the hunting as stated earlier the hunting pressure is extreme. When I have seen 160 +++ truck/boat trailers there at the boat landing from aug 10 to sept 30 ELK and everything else seem to have figured it out in the last 4 decades or so that its time to cut a few mountain ranges back from the river. I've went up there and hunted hard form10 days and not seen 1 legal 6X6. But then again like our BC moose/ elk regulations NOT every moose ( 3 points or more on brow tines) and elk(6X6) is going to have it UNLESS it like saying every human it going to have the same colour hair (WRONG) because it's all genetics) and we are slowly but surely shooting out or genetic breeders. Not every species is going to be the same genetically when it comes to size and particulars like antlers. Something to ponder and spread around so maybe those nieve decision makers we have elected can finally be educated before its to late. Like for instance the kechika elk are a bigger growth antler breed the the tuchodi herd but try and tell someone who knows the difference that elk all should be the same size cause they are elk and you will get laughed at..
My thoughts to ponder cause our BC hunting regulations are just one more government decision issue waiting to go wrong BUT by then it will be to late

moosinaround
09-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Beautiful country indeed to see but as for the hunting as stated earlier the hunting pressure is extreme. When I have seen 160 +++ truck/boat trailers there at the boat landing from aug 10 to sept 30 ELK and everything else seem to have figured it out in the last 4 decades or so that its time to cut a few mountain ranges back from the river. I've went up there and hunted hard form10 days and not seen 1 legal 6X6. But then again like our BC moose/ elk regulations NOT every moose ( 3 points or more on brow tines) and elk(6X6) is going to have it UNLESS it like saying every human it going to have the same colour hair (WRONG) because it's all genetics) and we are slowly but surely shooting out or genetic breeders. Not every species is going to be the same genetically when it comes to size and particulars like antlers. Something to ponder and spread around so maybe those nieve decision makers we have elected can finally be educated before its to late. Like for instance the kechika elk are a bigger growth antler breed the the tuchodi herd but try and tell someone who knows the difference that elk all should be the same size cause they are elk and you will get laughed at..
My thoughts to ponder cause our BC hunting regulations are just one more government decision issue waiting to go wrong BUT by then it will be to late
You just felt like giving your cheery rendition of the state of hunting in BC on an advice/ good luck post for someone else? Build your own soap box post somewhere else!! Moosin

j270wsm
09-15-2013, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=rdm-ca; But then again like our BC moose/ elk regulations NOT every moose ( 3 points or more on brow tines) and elk(6X6) is going to have it UNLESS it like saying every human it going to have the same colour hair (WRONG) because it's all genetics) and we are slowly but surely shooting out or genetic breeders.

The animals we hunt have had the same basic genes/antler configuration for thousands of years. I hope your not implying that conservation efforts( antler restrictions )over the last 20-40yrs is causing animals to alter their genetic code to grow antlers that allow then to stay safe from hunters.

brutus
09-15-2013, 12:20 PM
J270wsm you funny