PDA

View Full Version : Quad security

bearheart
07-31-2013, 06:41 AM
Getting a quad soon. What do you recommend for security when you are out in the bush? ie. I hunt alone frequently. If I go as far as I need on the machine, then I want to hike several hours further, how do I secure the quad so it's still there when I get back several hours later???Thanks!

srthomas75
07-31-2013, 06:51 AM
I think it all depends where you are. Myself I just keep my key but I know it could be taken still. If you are somewhere that is not that busy you should be ok. I would assume that if you are riding on it for a while before hiking you should be in a remote area. Not leaving it on a main trail /road would be a good idea though.

blackwater moose
07-31-2013, 06:57 AM
take out the key

bigwhiteys
07-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Yeah, take out the key... If I am leaving my quad for a few days (backpacking) then I'll run a heavy bike lock cable through one rim and then the frame. The bike weighs 765 pounds dry so it's not easy for someone to walk away with.

huntinnewbie
07-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Not that we leave our quads much but we spent a little extra and got them in camo so they remain a little more hidden in the bush. We figured a bright red quad would stick out like a sore thumb.LOL

OOBuck
07-31-2013, 07:21 AM
1/2" cable & a bigass master lock, if someone wants your quad there going to get it regardless just keeps the honest thieves from getting it...

Vader
07-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Take the key and leave a sign on it.

My bullet travels at 3000 fps..... how fast can you run...

Ronforca
07-31-2013, 07:41 AM
I just ride off the trail out of sight ,take the key.Out of sight out of mind.Try to leave the road where you will not damage the terrain.

rcar
07-31-2013, 07:43 AM
I bought a camo cover and run a chain and lock through the frame to a big tree if I can find one.....oh and I mark the hiding spot on my gps!!

Mikey Rafiki
07-31-2013, 07:45 AM
I always have a heavy cable and pad lock. Then you can at least lock it to a tree or run the cable through the frame and rims. Most assholes are opportunistic and don't want to put in any extra effort stealing things. And just don't leave it anywhere it can be rolled/winched into a pickup or flatbed.

Sofa King
07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
yup, take the key with you.
and I also try to park it more out of sight also.
anyone who might come along has no clue if you are twenty yards away or twenty miles.

and you'd be surprised how they can be hard to see.
I remember riding my big red way back in the woods.
I stopped at a huge hill/little mountain and parked the bike.
I did a walk-thru around the whole thing, and was pretty sure I was getting pretty close to where I started.
I knew I should be pretty close to where I left the bike, I usually don't look at my gps until I need to.
still having not come across the bike though, I turned the gps on to see how far off I was.
I had walked right past it and didn't even notice it, and it was red, no camo.

you can always do little things, like unplug the sparkplug wire, or even take it and hide it.
or even take aa cable-lock and run thru the wheel or something.

Glenny
07-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Hide it down dare in da bush down dare eh.

Wade
07-31-2013, 09:40 AM
When I bought my quad I was thinking the same thing as you. I bought a green honda, the green I thought would camouflage it more than a red one say. I always park my quad on the low side of the road, just to make it hard for someone to push it out and park it so its hidden some. I've never had any problems. I know I wouldn't go snooping around a guys quad. You can bet during hunting season everyone out there is armed

kilometers
07-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Find the biggest tree tie winch around it suck quad to tree remove key place empty shell casing on the seat.
The tension on the winch dosnt allow it to be switched into free spool leaving it sucked to the tree until cable cut or tension is released from winch.
Empty shell casing is a warning don't **** with my shit

scottwh
07-31-2013, 09:58 AM
I take the key and usually just park it out of site. I have left my quad for days before on backpack hunts. Its a little nerv racking for sure. I also have thought about rodents chewing my seat up or chewing wiring etc which I have heard of before.

Goose
07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
I had the same question, so I found this you tube video on a review of a few different motorcycle locks that may work for different applications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrN4kg_2EY

sugar
07-31-2013, 10:01 AM
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/page1/

my friend had his saved with this

Wade
07-31-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't ever take my key, I always hide it somewhere around the quad. I could picture myself losing it by grabbing shells out of my pocket and not noticing it fall out. That wouldn't be cool at all

Sofa King
07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
set your trailcam up nearby to catch any culprits that may come and mess with your quad. haha.

ruger#1
07-31-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't ever take my key, I always hide it somewhere around the quad. I could picture myself losing it by grabbing shells out of my pocket and not noticing it fall out. That wouldn't be cool at all
Tie a spare key in the laces of your hunting boots. Or hang the key around your neck. I always carry a spare in my wallet.

ruger#1
07-31-2013, 10:24 AM
I take the key and usually just park it out of site. I have left my quad for days before on backpack hunts. Its a little nerv racking for sure. I also have thought about rodents chewing my seat up or chewing wiring etc which I have heard of before.
Porcupines are the worst for chewing your things up, Rubber, plastics , wires and seats. Bears might also be bad for the seat. Might want to put a 2D cell electric fence around it.

srupp
07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
hmmm I do the same camo cover over a camo quad,,have a HUGE lock and specialty chain sold for thse applications..arround a tree deep in a thicket..GPS the location and walk away..if the hunt is for 2 weeks I buy fire and theft..

steven

drag
07-31-2013, 11:23 AM
you can also disconnect the battery and hide it near by or just leave it in place

Darksith
07-31-2013, 11:45 AM
I have an alarm on my Rhino that has an immobilizer and remote start...the siren is so loud its impressive, Im sure the thought of a guy coming out of the woods with a rifle due to the alarm going off would deter anyone from trying too hard to jack it. That being said though, insurance is your best bet if you plan to leave it alone for multiple days. It don't matter how big your chain is if they can just cut the tree down. Give them enough time they will steal it, so hide it and insure it is the best bet. They also make GPS tracking devices that you can put on the machine if you are really concerned.

ruger#1
07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
One of the guys up here didn't have anything to lock his atv ramps to his truck. So he parked his back wheels on each one. When he came back they were gone. He seen where they used a jack and thats how they did it. I would put some stickers on it that say. Warning, This is GPS trackable.

Sofa King
07-31-2013, 11:55 AM
One of the guys up here didn't have anything to lock his atv ramps to his truck. So he parked his back wheels on each one. When he came back they were gone. He seen where they used a jack and thats how they did it. I would put some stickers on it that say. Warning, This is GPS trackable.

that's crazy.
some sob's will steal anything they can I guess.
lynch 'em all.

Mikey Rafiki
07-31-2013, 12:09 PM

Before I got a spare cable lock I would put the ramps in the cab. Pain in the ass but sure beats losing them. I guess you couldn't do that it they weren't fold-able.

Sofa King
07-31-2013, 12:11 PM
I cable-lock my ramps to my trailer.
my quad is cable-locked when it's on the trailer, and when I unload it, I then use the lock on the ramps.
no problems so far, but, if someone wants something bad enough, it's going to be theirs.

russm86
07-31-2013, 12:34 PM

Someone must have done that just because they wanted the challenge or something because I always leave my quad and dirtbike ramps just sitting there and have never had one taken. I know it seems common sense to leave stuff out of site but sometimes it's the opposite the closer to the main road and heavy traffic is sometimes better as people won't be as willing to steal shit if theres someone driving by every couple of minutes. COs have told us this lots when hunting in areas where the first nations have been problems, set up camp in a well used camp site or near the main road as it makes the thieves more visible and obvious to passers by...

Redneck Rocket
07-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Do people really steal shit like this from people out in the bush? That is absolutely terrible. When you're out there, having your shit stolen could be a life & death situation if you were in trouble for some reason. I thought there would at least be some kind of bond amongst those who go out in the bush.

Sofa King
07-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Do people really steal shit like this from people out in the bush? That is absolutely terrible. When you're out there, having your shit stolen could be a life & death situation if you were in trouble for some reason. I thought there would at least be some kind of bond amongst those who go out in the bush.

one would think.

once, dad got out to our hunting camp for the weekend before I got there.
he found that someone had ripped the propane hose of the trailer.
luckily, he was always prepared for anything and everything, and had a spare one inside.
he later found the wrecked one tossed in the bushes nearby.
this was in a remote area, and i'm thinking it was another hunter who was pissed that others were hunting the area as well.

Singleshotneeded
07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Get a heavy cable lock, one of the best is called the Fahgedabboutit...the makers tested it by chaining an expensive bike to a steel pole in Harlem, NY, and though the wheels were stolen the scumbags couldn't steal the frame. Ride the quad off the trail and chain it to a good-sized tree...if it's got chrome wheels and it's not green or camo, then covering it with a camo cover would be a good plan as well. Obviously you take the key with you...and don't forget to mark the quad's location on your hand held gps! :-)

Ride Red
07-31-2013, 01:15 PM
C4 on the seat. Everyone stays away then.

Singleshotneeded
07-31-2013, 01:18 PM

Ummmm, that's why in the good old days before liberal left threaded pinko wing nuts, when common sense ruled the land, they used to hang horse thieves...the perfect treatment for thieves. Most hunters respect other hunter's property, and some of them that are inclined to being a bit light fingered will behave because they know we're all armed out there! :-)

sawmill
07-31-2013, 01:47 PM

There is a bond amongst hunters.Thieves....nope.I use logging chain and a huge padlock,even in my locked backyard.Cable lock on the ramps and a lock on the trailer hitch.Write the serial # of your rig too.My Rhino is pretty recognizable,God help the SOB who steals it.I won`t be calling the cops if I see it.

hunter1947
07-31-2013, 03:31 PM
This is the device I use I strap the cable around the biggest tree I can find they say this cable I bought is very hard to cut the alarm gives off 110 desmols if touched this unit coast me $360.00 4 years ago..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0198.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0207.JPG

showtime
07-31-2013, 05:28 PM
you guys just listed many possible great ideas that will be used by thieves to steal quads.

Darksith
07-31-2013, 05:44 PM
thieves already know all the tricks, its their trade. With all the cordless gear out there now, its not hard to get through any chain or cable. And a tree don't do much if they have a saw in the back. First line of defense is out of sight...second line of defense is audible, 3rd line of defense is insurance...

bearheart
07-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Find the biggest tree tie winch around it suck quad to tree remove key place empty shell casing on the seat.
The tension on the winch dosnt allow it to be switched into free spool leaving it sucked to the tree until cable cut or tension is released from winch.
Empty shell casing is a warning don't **** with my shit

Thanks, I like your attitude.:cool:

bearheart
07-31-2013, 07:27 PM
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/page1/

my friend had his saved with this

Looks good but no canadian source??

frase
07-31-2013, 09:24 PM
I use a heavy duty chain or cable and good lock ALONG WITH a small cable alarm. The latter is a simple small cable which you run thru your tire and then lock onto the frame. If someone cuts the cable an alarm screams to be hec. Works like a hot dam and if I recal only cost about 35.00, If someone cuts the cable and the alarm goes off do you thinkthey are going to stick around? You could be 200 yards or 20 mile away but they don't know that. I always worry about chaining to trees as they can be cut down pretty quick. I also try to leave mine out of sight.

hunter1947
08-01-2013, 03:45 AM
All in all you can never stop theft but you can make it hard for someone to steel you items pictures I posted on this thread earlier would make a thief think twice before they tried steeling my quad ,,when the alarm goes off they don't know how far away you are from your quad ??? I might be within hearing distance they would think twice before trying anything stupid..

Glenny
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
set your trailcam up nearby to catch any culprits that may come and mess with your quad. haha.

But that's why they invented hoodies. For thieven dicks. Not to streotype anyone though. lol

Darksith
08-05-2013, 09:57 PM
But that's why they invented hoodies. For thieven dicks. Not to streotype anyone though. lol

Yeah, but you have to assume that the thieves are "honest thieves" (like that exists) but they will only be that when its easy...like leaving your truck unlocked, keeps the honest guys out, but the professionals don't even blink if they want in...I usually setup a trailcam when we have a camp. The cam will be hidden, and setup to take pictures of the vehicle. The license plate will most likely be on the vehicle. That being said, never had a problem with peeps messing with camp yet in over a decade, so the trail cam idea isn't too bad of a thought. But it probably won't get your ride back, but it might put someone in the hot seat

wsquared
08-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Try http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/brands/xena.html, I ordered other Xena products from them. They have those dics locks listed.