PDA

View Full Version : Plotting GPS "tracks" on existing maps

David
07-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone,

Wondering what you are doing as far as plotting your GPS "tracks" or routes onto other maps.

I'm thinking of two specific scenarios:
1) Plotting my routes and waypoints on top of google earth or BC Topo maps (preferably).
2) Plotting my routes and waypoints onto some sort of map and then printing out a hard copy to give out to hunting companions.

Obviously free is best, but if you're doing something like buying BC Backroad maps and plotting on top of that it would be great to hear as well. Basically what I'm looking for is your ideas on "making your own maps for dummies".

Much appreciated.

Steeleco
07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
I have Garmin topo Canada and it interfaces with Google earth very easily. There's a pull down option to "view in google earth" From that you can print, save or e-mail that image as you wish.
It's pretty cool being able to save a few good spots and later view the area that you didn't see so you get a better understanding of how things lay.

Much like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Kispiox_zps0150f508.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/steeleco/media/Kispiox_zps0150f508.jpg.html)

adriaticum
07-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Are there any apps for that?

Jagermeister
07-30-2013, 12:33 PM
I have Garmin topo Canada and it interfaces with Google earth very easily. There's a pull down option to "view in google earth" From that you can print, save or e-mail that image as you wish.
It's pretty cool being able to save a few good spots and later view the area that you didn't see so you get a better understanding of how things lay.

Much like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Kispiox_zps0150f508.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/steeleco/media/Kispiox_zps0150f508.jpg.html)Lots of hunters camping at the bridge?

Jagermeister
07-30-2013, 12:54 PM
I am able to pinpoint the camp from Steeleco's map. It can be done directly off the google earth map he provided although I used Topo Canada to chase it down first and then overlaid it to google earth.
I think that what you have in mind would be much easier if each of your hunting party had their own GPS with Topo Canada and you emailed your map with track to them. They could then upload the map to their GPS

Steeleco
07-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Didn't see a one the whole week. That is from a trip 2 years back. Was very productive. It helped that 2 of the group had a shred moose hunt.

David
07-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I think that what you have in mind would be much easier if each of your hunting party had their own GPS with Topo Canada and you emailed your map with track to them. They could then upload the map to their GPS

Older (70+) hunters who still have 12:00 blinking on their beta-max. I also just happen to like the tactile feeling of a map - still use charts in my boat.

It sounds like from what everyone is saying you have to buy the maps (topo canada, etc.) load them into your GPS and then export the map + track/route. Is their no way to just plop the track/route down on something?

Steeleco
07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
There is an up-loadable set of software that is very similar to topocanada, but I don't recall hearing if it interfaces with google earth, and definitely not as seamless as the example above.

Jagermeister
07-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Older (70+) hunters who still have 12:00 blinking on their beta-max. I also just happen to like the tactile feeling of a map - still use charts in my boat.

It sounds like from what everyone is saying you have to buy the maps (topo canada, etc.) load them into your GPS and then export the map + track/route. Is their no way to just plop the track/route down on something?
There is a way, but it is rather archaic not to mention very time consuming.
Before Topo Canada and the other maps, all one had on the GPS was a screen that showed your trail and the coordinates of any particular location along that trail. Those coordinates could be long/lat variations or UTM. I used UTM as those are easier to pinpoint on a topo map. If you look to the the right side of a topo map, you will see an "EXAMPLE OF METHOD USED". (Not all topo maps have this).
It is far easier and more satisfying to have a good background map on the GPS that will give direct correlation to the map you have in hand. Even at 70+ you would be able to catch on pretty quickly, unless you are afflicted with Alzheimers and you're not because you are posting here.
Try this. Change your preferences in Google Earth to UTM, you will find that under Tools and then Options.
Then try to find this location.
9U 557800 E 6161040 N

brian
07-30-2013, 09:22 PM

I do the exact same thing. I make a cumulative Google Earth map that is an amalgamation of all my hunting and scouting in an area. I have another small app called DNRGarmin that I can use to send data plotted in Google Earth back to my Garmin for points of interest.

It is far easier and more satisfying to have a good background map on the GPS that will give direct correlation to the map you have in hand.

I do that by merging garmin topo maps with google maps in Photoshop so i can get as much topo and satellite information as possible. Then I print them off and have them laminated for field use. These days I send the maps off to London drugs for photo printing and laminating all in one.

David
07-31-2013, 10:26 AM
I do that by merging garmin topo maps with google maps in Photoshop so i can get as much topo and satellite information as possible. Then I print them off and have them laminated for field use. These days I send the maps off to London drugs for photo printing and laminating all in one.

Awesome - exactly what I was looking for.

Oh - and I'm not the 70+ guy that's my Dad.

srupp
07-31-2013, 11:22 AM
hmmm I have the same setup on my Gps...set trails plot locations whatever and download them to the unit OR just make maps and print them in whatever scale is appropriate...then brake out pen and color pens..da da custom map..just doing one for spenses Bridge for scouting trip

Steven

Gun Dog
07-31-2013, 09:21 PM

The GPS produces a data file of times and locations and you need software to turn it into something presentable. I use Garmin's MapSource/TopoCanada because I wanted the maps. Then I export to Google Earth and tilt the view to get a 3D view (of a hike to Hannegan Pass in this case):
http://hilmar.smugmug.com/Hiking/Hannegan-Pass/i-rjFjvFm/0/M/GPSRoute-M.jpg

With MapSource I cut and paste individual track logs to create a master log of an area. That's a lot of points so I filter the data (under Track Properties) to reduce the points while still giving an accurate route. My Garmin GPS only shows the last thousand or two points so helps to have fewer points.

One of my projects is to use map editing software (like GPSMapEdit (http://geopainting.com)) to add the track as a path or road. Or I could just buy the Backroads map data which has a lot of roads and trails.

tinhorse
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
You can also use a garmin and transfer the tracks in oziexplorer as a .kml file to google earth and transfer all your way points. easy to do on pull down menus. you dont need maps in ozi as you can select blank map and transfer your tracks onto that then open them in google earth. I believe they are still free (used to be anyways) ?

Sitkaspruce
08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
GPSbuddy, it free and you can do a lot with it. From guys in Grande Prairie. Not sure if it does everything that Garmin does, but it works for me.

http://skybase.ca/gpsbuddy/

Cheers

SS