PDA

View Full Version : Garmin etrex 20 questions

leadpillproductions
07-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Was wondering if anyone use it yet . wondering if you have to be moving for the gps to work, or can u be standing still

kilometers
07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Just bought one last week. Absolutely love it
Read a bunch of reviews and almost bought the Oregon. So glad I got the etrex 20. Not a fan of the touch screens on the other models.

As per your question. It picks me up within a couple steps when in thick bush , If I change direction. It still show you on the map your heading direction might be wrong until you move

Sofa King
07-30-2013, 10:32 AM
is there a gps out there that "doesn't" show your location when standing still?
that's kinda the point of them.
even the shittiest, most basic units do that.

leadpillproductions
07-30-2013, 08:44 PM
my last etrex the old yellow one you had to be moving to work right.

604redneck
07-30-2013, 08:52 PM
alot of the older cheaper ones would not pick u up in thick brush.

fun2ride0
08-29-2013, 09:00 PM
What kind of maps are you using with the Etrex 20? I've been using free Ibycus Topo maps. How do you transfer your waypoints to a map and what kind of map do you use?

I'm just getting into this GPS thing and i'm trying to figure out how to get it to do what I need it to do.

Legi0n
08-29-2013, 10:05 PM
the compass on etrex 20 needs you to be moving to find true north
etrex 30 has a built in electronic compass that is supposed to work in any conditions (except maybe inside a black hole)

hare_assassin
08-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Love mine.

I have both Ibycus and Opensteetmaps/Opencyclemaps maps on it. This gives me all the backroads stuff except the FS campsites, but I can manually create the waypoints I need. I use "QlandkarteGT" running in Linux to work with tracks, waypoints, etc.