PDA

View Full Version : Osoyoos Lake Sockeye?

huntinnut
07-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know if/when the opening for osoyoos lake sockeye will be happening. There are numbers similar to 2011 in the Columbia this year so wondering if there will be an opening.

Moe.JKU
07-29-2013, 01:07 PM
It will be interesting to see. There was just a recent fuel spill upstream from the columbia. There are already fish found dead on the river shore bellow. They might want to let them recover to see if anything can come from it.
Here is a link:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/07/26/bc-lemon-creek-fuel-spill.html

GoatGuy
07-29-2013, 02:27 PM
This year is supposed to be another record and a fishery is expected.

GoatGuy
07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
If I had to guess it will be August 1.

Moe.JKU
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0680-RECREATIONAL - SALMON: Sockeye - Region 8 - Osoyoos Lake opportunity

Osoyoos Lake

Effective 00:01 hours August 1, 2013 until further notice, during daylight
hours only, in the portion of Osoyoos Lake north of the bridge at HWY 3 (North
Basin), you may retain two (2) sockeye per day.

A Review of in season information on sockeye abundance and environmental
conditions in Osoyoos Lake will be conducted on August 12, 2013 or sooner to
determine duration of the fishery.

Daylight Hours only refers to one hour before sunrise to one hour after
sunset. Reference to sunrise and sunset means the times for those events as
calculated by the National Research Council of Canada and published daily in
the Kelowna Daily Courier.

This reflects a change to the BC Freshwater Salmon Supplement. The on-line
version of this guide will be updated within 24 hours of this notice, please
browse: www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/english/recreation/

Variation order 2013-351.

Notes:

No Fishing for Salmon in Skaha Lake.

The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific Salmon (other than
kokanee) from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia.

Sport anglers and guides are reminded to label and submit heads from adipose
fin-clipped (hatchery-marked) chinook and coho salmon to the Salmon Head
Recovery Program. Recovery of coded-wire tags from recreational fishers
provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. For more
information and locations of Depots contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
Program at (866) 483-9994 or visit the following site: http://www.pac.dfo- (http://www.pac.dfo-/)
mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/prize-prix-eng.htm

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0680
Sent July 29, 2013 at 16:05
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/)

ruger#1
07-29-2013, 05:28 PM
You would think those fish would be mushy by the time they make it that far.

Ronforca
07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
As far as I am concerned they are not fit to eat.I have caught and eaten lots of Sockeye from the Fraser near Mission.They are silver but still not as good as out of the ocean.Looking at the fish from Osoyoos lake they look pretty dark to me.

huntinnut
07-29-2013, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't doubt that they aren't as good as the day they entered the Columbia, but I've heard that because the Columbia doesn't gain much elevation, that they still aren't bad at all.

Ronforca
07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Elevation has nothing to do with it.It is the length of time that they are out of the salt water.Some people seem to like them.I would net even think of eating one.They swim right by my house here in Oliver.The ones that manage to make it through Osoyoos lake.A lot of them die in the lake because of lack of oxygen.If you do not know what a good Sockeye tastes like you might enjoy them.

bighornbob
07-29-2013, 10:19 PM
I have caught a lot in the Thompson river near kamloops that have been almost red and they were delicious. The first one I caught was was still pretty silver with just a slight change of color starting. The next time fishing I caught a bunch of fish that were petty red and was throwing them all back when a guy beside me asked why I was throwing them back. I told him because of the color they probably did not taste well, he said he BBQ'd a darker red the day before and he said it was great. He said the males will have a firmer flesh then the egg laden females. I clubbed a few and they were great.

I know a few guys that have caught them in Chilliwack and here in kamloops and no one has said the ones down there are better then up here.

Bhb

aggiehunter
07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Ive seen lots dead and floating when its warm...I've tasted one and the guy I know that catches them for his wife says you have to put them on ice immediately...I guess thats a no brainer...

GoatGuy
07-30-2013, 11:01 PM
guys who have caught them said they're good and there's more than enough of them out there.

Sofa King
07-30-2013, 11:09 PM
it's how long they're in fresh water, like someone else said.
I caught a 32 lb king in mabel that was still dime-bright.

GoatGuy
07-30-2013, 11:13 PM
it's how long they're in fresh water, like someone else said.
I caught a 32 lb king in mabel that was still dime-bright.

come on duallie know you're bsing the bsers.

Sofa King
07-30-2013, 11:36 PM
come on duallie know you're bsing the bsers.

not at all.
i'll look for the pics.
it may not be stainless-steel shade, but it was pretty darn clean if I remember correctly.

Sofa King
07-30-2013, 11:40 PM
'44 nickel bright?
maybe '62 penny?

adriaticum
07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Aug 1st opening.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=152707&ID=recreational (http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=152707&ID=recreational)

bogman
08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
My nephew in summerland just called me and said his next door neighbour caught 4 today, so I guess there is some to be caught for those who want too.

Redneck Rocket
08-02-2013, 09:37 AM
My nephew in summerland just called me and said his next door neighbour caught 4 today, so I guess there is some to be caught for those who want too. But presumably only kept 2?

dave_fras
08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
i was gonna head out there today!... then it decided to piss rain! haha

antileno
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM
is there anywhere you can catch them from shore, or is it strictly downrigger trolling only?

bckev
08-02-2013, 04:13 PM
They are good smoked

sparkymacker
08-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Or presumably there was more than one person on the boat? :confused:

But presumably only kept 2?

huntinnut
08-04-2013, 08:53 AM
what gear is generally being used? we're going to head over next week and try it. Ive read the old-school way is just a red hook (s) behind a flasher or dodger. For pink or red hootchies, how much leader behind what colors of flashers generally work?

Redneck Rocket
08-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Caught these two on August 1st. Not huge, the larger of the two was 3lbs, but as you can see they were pretty chrome. Took them to Vancouver with me the next day in the cooler (going down for a wedding.) Baked them up for my parents and in-laws and they were destroyed. Some of the best sockeye I've eaten. If I caught one that was a little more coloured up I'd still throw it in the smoker, in the food processor with some cream cheese, garlic, lemon & salt.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/Sockeye_zps289a1a03.jpg

knockturnal
08-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Was out on the lake yesterday from 630-1015am. Went 4 for 5 with the biggest being about 5lbs. Ate one for dinner last night and it was delicious.