PDA

View Full Version : Delorme inReach satellite communication >=< SPOT?

Dukeoflawnchair
07-29-2013, 10:47 AM
So after a disastrous (of the expensive, not painful types) weekend of backpacking, it's crossed my mind that maybe I should improve my communication setup and not depend on borrowing work sat phones.

Has anyone here heard of the Dlorme inReach SE? It's a satellite communication device similar to a SPOT, except it also has texting functions as a standalone unit. It uses the iridium satellite coverage.

Thoughts, reviews, experiences, suggestions? Are the units as durable as SPOTs?

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/ (http://www.inreachdelorme.com/)

limit time
07-29-2013, 01:02 PM
It's still new to the market, so I will wait a bit. . I do like and want one...but, it cant be used as a stand alone GPS! If it could be used as just a GPS I would buy one. The plan is also pricy.

KB90
07-29-2013, 01:17 PM
It works great! I have the model that you pair with a gps or smartphone. I actually just set it up today for the year and my upcoming sheep hunt. You can suspend the service for months not in use and it costs 3 bucks a month. I bought the messaging plan for 30 a month while i use it.

With the samsung galaxy I bought a larger battery that will last for 4 days (if its on the whole time) but for using it to send a message home every night, it will easily last 10-14 day hunt.

The inreach is not new, the standalone gps model is, can't see how the quality would different then their original devices (which is awesome). I don't understand why people are still buying spots. This device gives you the capability of having a 2 way conversation!!! You can get a 100% gurantee your messages are being received when your family answers you back. You also are able to explain a situation (help and the severity details etc.) if need be. It also uses iridium satellites which are very reliable (unlike globalstar but I heard they have launched their new ones now)

Some people think that with the device just anyone can text you, that's not the case, the only way you can receieve a message from somone is if you iniate it first. It gives them a special phone number to text you back, not your normal number. Along with every text message the reciver gets a link to a map of where you are located

limit time
07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
The inreach SE IS new and that's the one I'm referring to and so is the OP. The SE is not a stand alone GPS.

blaker_99
07-29-2013, 04:31 PM
I bought one to try as the spot network is very poor a lot of the time and Delorme operates on the iridium network which is a lot better coverage from what I understand z I have tested the inreach several times and it works flawlessly I hope this is the case for a long time.

allan
07-29-2013, 05:25 PM
I've used mine for last hunting season. You have to understand that your texting is not as fast as phone network texting.
I had a problem that the last 1/2 of my msgs were getting cut off. Both ways.
I was trying to make my msgs as long as allowed as I was paying for each MSG. Once I figured out that I had a problem with long msgs communications were less confusing.
If you plan on leaving your delorme Inreach on all the time bring lots of batteries. One set a day min.
I would only turn it on in the evenings to check in. Then my phone would be off as well to.
Takes about 5-10 min to power up, get a signal and recieve a MSG if everything was off all day.
I won't leave home without it, it worked every time I used it. My wife always knew I was safe each night and were I had set up camp via the google earth/delorme website link.
I don't understand why anyone would go with one communication devices when there is no way to confirm the MSG got to your outside contact. Yes min charge is 30$ month. You can deactivate for 3$ month. I left mine subscribed all year as at least once a month I would take a trip where I didn't have cell coverage and I was solo.

decker9
07-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Iv also been looking at one of these units since we have a new baby at home, it's nice to hear everything's all right well I'm away. I'm curious as to the batterie life in the SE, since its a internal rechargeable batterie, you pretty much need a solar charger if your going on any kind of a 1-2 week trip right? Has anyone herd and real world expierences on the delorme SE batterie life?? Also, any recommendations for small backpackable solar batterie chargers??

Rackmastr
07-30-2013, 07:24 AM
I'll be getting a Delorme Inreach SE....they seem like a great tool for sure. SPOT I'm sure will get on board with a 2-way messaging (other than the Connect which pairs with a Smartphone).

Looks like a good unit, still really new so wont have a ton of reviews out there yet I'm thinking.

Dukeoflawnchair
07-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the thought! I haven't had amazing success with SPOT setups - our forestry crews in Chetwynd tried using them as their check-in system, and they simply weren't reliable enough. In another instance, a friend of mine broke an axle in his side by side and needed to get help. He sent the "I'm OK, but need help" message to his family, and the coordinates sent to them were 500km away.

The 2-way communication + the iridium network pushes this one pretty far in the lead...

BuckEye
07-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Bought my In-Reach a few month back. Got it all setup and have tried the messaging once and used the mapping on my iPhone a couple times. I like it and have no regrets. Hopefully I won't have to use the emerg functions. Being able to text in your own friends "help me out of a broken vehicle bind" without getting others involved when not needed is a great feature. More $ per month than spot, but more features.

Ry151
07-31-2013, 01:20 AM
Really want to switch from the spot to inreach but I do a lot of tracking, is there a way to adjust the track intervals from 10. Minutes to maybe 30 min? 250 tracks a month just doesn't seem to be enough and $50 a month too much compared to the spot

Rackem
10-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Anyone else have experience with these? Is it worth the extra 1.5 times the initial price and higher monthly service fee??

KB90
10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
I have one ellen shoot me a pm or fb message if you'd like.

RMAC
10-02-2013, 10:17 PM
I have an Inreach SE and used it on a recent hunt in the North. It worked really well and I have no complaints about it. I didn't really use it for the tracking feature so I always had it turned off unless I wanted to send or check messages so for the 10 days I was out the battery life was close to full charge when we got back out. I sent a few messages and received a few back from friends and family. We also had a satellite phone this year as I wanted to make sure it worked well. Now that I know it is working well I probably won't be renting a sat phone anymore.

BuckEye
10-02-2013, 10:56 PM
My update with the In-Reach tied to my smart phone over a recent northern trip. Worked great. The 3 messages that can be sent from the device (emergency one aside) give you the ability to send one of 3 customized preset messages from the unit itself. We were well off grid and were able to send and receive text messages home and to others by tying the non SE unit to my smartphone. We let people know where we were that were planning on joining us. Requested additional supplies when they came etc. My friend has the spot and after the trip was looking to replace it with an In Reach.
No regrets and the connection to home kept both side at ease.

BCHunterTV
10-03-2013, 05:50 AM
i use and love it

2chodi
10-03-2013, 07:10 AM
A friend bought one to use this summer and to use instead of a sat phone. I don't know the model, but it works standalone as well as with a phone. I helped him test it before he left and received and replied to several messages sent from the mountains. It seemed to work really well. The only complaint is the slow entry of text in the standalone mode.

The emails sent contain the GPS coordinates and a link to a map pinpointing the location.

albravo2
10-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Yeah, mine worked flawlessly when we were up the Tuchodi. I wonder if I met 2chodi's friend because the only other person we saw had one instead of his sat phone and was complaining that it was slow to enter text in standalone mode.

I used the track mode for the first time and people were interested to see where we were and what we were doing but it took a lot more battery. If I have one complaint about the InReach it would be the battery. You really need the expensive AAs or it only lasts a couple days.

I really like the ability to use my phone as interface. That way all my numbers are already there and I use the GPS and Google earth maps (downloaded for offline use) on my phone anyway.

David
10-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Do either of these things have a way to find you if you are incapacitated? i.e. you have a heart attack and die - we gonna find your body or not?

Ideally I'd like something for my Dad that if he doesn't check in when he is supposed to, I have co-ordinates I can head to.

Philcott
10-03-2013, 10:36 AM
I have been using my spot2 for a couple of years and once I figured the unit out have not had a lost or incorrect message sent. I lent it to a coworker who rode his motorcycle to Inuvik this summer and he used it without any troubles. I like it and am glad I have it.

That said, I like the idea of the Delorme unit that can send and receive text messages. The spot only sends pre recorded messages and is limited to 4 message of which one is the SOS. The battery life on the delorme looks like it might be an issue if it's used a lot but since I don't have one I can't speak to it.

Both systems have their place. I look forward to the day when Spot puts out a text message unit and I look forward to seeing how the delorme pans out over the next year or so.

Which ever one you buy, do buy one and learn how to use it. Three days stranded on a mountain will let you know just how affordable $299.99 really is.

Philcott
10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Do either of these things have a way to find you if you are incapacitated? i.e. you have a heart attack and die - we gonna find your body or not?

Ideally I'd like something for my Dad that if he doesn't check in when he is supposed to, I have co-ordinates I can head to.

The spot does not have a way unless you have the "tracking" mode turned on. If that is turned on the unit will send a signal at set intervals throughout the day. Many people use this so friends and family can follow along almost footstep by footstep. In this mode if a person has a fatal or incapacitating problem you can see where the last transmission was from and that would get searchers very close.

I don't know what the delorme has.

Bear Chaser
10-04-2013, 12:46 AM
The Track mode with the Spot has been very accurate in the areas I have used it. It's a little bit unnerving actually when I get home from a trip and I can see on the map almost to the exact minute where I was during every day.

mad mountain mike
10-08-2013, 06:50 PM
The texting with the Inreach is not bullet proof. I was out in the mountains for a week and texting with my wife in the evenings to keep in touch, then one day I just stopped receiving her messages. I kept sending her messages not knowing if she was receiving them ( didn't want her to worry). After 24 hrs of no messages I headed to a mountain a few miles away where I knew there was cell service. As suspected she was receiving but I wasn't. It took an hour on the phone with Inreach to figure out that the emailing would work but not the texting, they claim that the problem is on the back end and not with my unit. Inreach has said that when they get it figured they will notify me, that was over a week ago and still nothing.

albravo2
10-08-2013, 06:59 PM
The texting with the Inreach is not bullet proof. I was out in the mountains for a week and texting with my wife in the evenings to keep in touch, then one day I just stopped receiving her messages. I kept sending her messages not knowing if she was receiving them ( didn't want her to worry). After 24 hrs of no messages I headed to a mountain a few miles away where I knew there was cell service. As suspected she was receiving but I wasn't. It took an hour on the phone with Inreach to figure out that the emailing would work but not the texting, they claim that the problem is on the back end and not with my unit. Inreach has said that when they get it figured they will notify me, that was over a week ago and still nothing.

I went through some agony with mine. If you do not 'sync' your contacts on the delorme website they don't always work. I was 50kms from camp with a torn sidewall on my Rhino and nobody was receiving my messages. I raised holy hell at Delorme and eventually figured it out. Yours might be a different problem but PM me if you want to compare notes.

srupp
10-09-2013, 10:03 AM
hmmmm KISS principle...using 2 items by 2 companies ....cant recommend it..

cheers

Steven Rupp

SPOT Canada Rep

bigwhiteys
10-10-2013, 07:34 AM
https://www.meetearl.com/ <--These units are pretty cool. I am waiting for their 2nd gen to buy.

Call of the Wild
10-10-2013, 08:03 AM
https://www.meetearl.com/ <--These units are pretty cool. I am waiting for their 2nd gen to buy.

Now that's a cool device, it appears that their text mode works on radio. Do you think that device is capable of sending and receiving text in remote northern Rockies, sheep hunting?

tbocking
10-11-2013, 09:35 AM
The Earl device looks cool but I dont think the texting feature will work in remote BC as it works on the "walkie talkie" system or radio which it claims is only good for 20km. Lots of other cool features though. I need to replace my spot connect as it was sending intermittant SOS out. I would send a text then as it was sending for the third send it would pull up a message that spot has sent an SOS message WTF

srupp
10-11-2013, 03:00 PM
The Earl device looks cool but I dont think the texting feature will work in remote BC as it works on the "walkie talkie" system or radio which it claims is only good for 20km. Lots of other cool features though. I need to replace my spot connect as it was sending intermittant SOS out. I would send a text then as it was sending for the third send it would pull up a message that spot has sent an SOS message WTF

that appears to be a serious flaw..please contact customers ervices attention TECH HELP..so you can be assured your unit is performing to be able to save your life and not instigate a needles SOS situation.

Steven Rupp

SPOT rep Canada

SHACK
10-13-2013, 11:08 AM
I have the new SE and so far it has worked flawlessly. My only beef is the power button, easily turned on if pressed against something in your pack or pocket. You have to be carefull where ya pack it or you can wind up with no juice when ya need it.

Recordram
10-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I have had the inReach for two seasons now. It has worked flawless for me so far. Tracking has worked no problems. Texting and emails have worked, no problems there either. Glad I have one.