PDA

View Full Version : Moose draw 5-12a

mikey
07-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Hey, I was drawn for a bull in 5-12a, nov 1-15.
Im assuming that the rut will be over by then, is there any tips or tactics for post rut bulls that any of you experienced moose guys would be willing to share?.

I'll be there for the two weeks if needed to fill the tag,
and have been researching the area and getting a game plan in order. Is there anywhere I should avoid?,
I don't mind putting the miles on my boots to find the game, I just don't want to be wasting any time in a over hunted area that I'll see more hunters than Moose/deer.

I'm not looking for anyone's "spot", but knowing where not to spend too much time would be a big help, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys , mike.

chilcotin hillbilly
07-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Chances are you see ,ore hunters then moose. Thanks to wolves and FN's!

Darksith
07-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Get on google earth, find the draws and valleys with small creeks. The moose will be tired and needing to recharge their batteries, so they will be living in the red willow patches feeding. I wouldn't be spending too much time sitting in one spot at that time of year, but rather getting into an area, checking it and then moving on. Cover lots of ground, get in and get out. Thats gotta be the strategy at that time of year. Good luck

mikey
07-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks darksith,
Google earth is definetly coming in handy, being from the island it's a little harder to get any scouting done before the draw time.

Darksith
07-29-2013, 10:47 AM
make sure to check the dates on google earth. They can be pretty old at times, and basically useless other than as a topography tool. If I was in your shoes, I would be searching for the most recent logging maps. You should be able to get them from the office in victoria maybe? Or maybe someone here has a set you can get. That will be the ticket. Things change so much as far as access and cuts, what looks good on GE could be a huge waste of time once you get there. If possible the map you want will have the cut schedule from say the last 5-10 years. Thats gonna be your best bet to planning that hunt from afar, unless of course you can find a local to give you the scoop via PM.

Jagermeister
07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
First thing you may want to do is stop at Redstone and make some friends. Maybe they will take you to their favorite hunting spot.