PDA

View Full Version : Trail cam gone!

DLP
07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
i am thinking this is not stolen but rather destroyed and taken away by some animal. i prefer this scenario.

i planted my bushnell 5mp camera in a very tough to reach spot with no signs of human life the three times i have made the effort to get there. it requires rafting the river, crossing first the main river then a sizable side channel. bushwacking to an animal trail 300 Meters in bush. so i planted it 2months ago after finding tons of elk and deer track. i put it around a clean tree facing a clearing with lots of bed down sign. so i went yesterday and camera was gone. the tree was heavily rubbed out. could an elk have broken it off then dragged it away?

this is near mile 28 of the squamish river. if it was stolen i curse whoever is so desparate they need to steal someone elses hard placed camera.

coach
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Python locks and lock boxes lag bolted go trees are your best defence against animals and (to some degree) people. Bears and elk seem the most interested in messing with cameras. I posted video (on my 2013 thread) of a bear yanking on the end of a python lock. This bear did the same thing 5 days in a row. Several people have posted pics or videos of bears licking their cameras. Last week we had elk do the same to one of ours. One of my cams doesn't have a box - but it is python locked to the tree - which offers a little protection.

Sorry to hear you lost your camera. Did you do a scout of the area? Animals wouldn't likely have taken it very far.

Sitkaspruce
07-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Python locks and lock boxes lag bolted go trees are your best defence against animals and (to some degree) people. Bears and elk seem the most interested in messing with cameras. I posted video (on my 2013 thread) of a bear yanking on the end of a python lock. This bear did the same thing 5 days in a row. Several people have posted pics or videos of bears licking their cameras. Last week we had elk do the same to one of ours. One of my cams doesn't have a box - but it is python locked to the tree - which offers a little protection.

Sorry to hear you lost your camera. Did you do a scout of the area? Animals wouldn't likely have taken it very far.

Just like Coach says, elk and bears are your biggest culprit, I can post vids and Picts of elk licking, rubbing, smelling and basically playing havoc with my cams. All my cams have lock boxes and pythons, so far all my cams are still there.

Look around as the cam will not be far.

Cheers

SS

07-28-2013, 09:28 PM
A tip I was told was to mount the camera to a piece of plywood and then drive nails through the plywood around the camera. This will deter the four legged thieves from playing with it too much. Haven't tried it myself but a bear guide in Alberta told me he uses this trick around bait sites so the bears won't damage his cameras

Whonnock Boy
07-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Just made a lock box for my camera. It's a prototype. We'll see if she holds. :-D

HarryToolips
07-28-2013, 10:21 PM
I've only had my cam for a couple years, and have only had some asswipe steal my SD card..lots of picks of black bears but none of em have ripped er apart yet..but maybe I should do the plywood idea..

allan
07-29-2013, 05:48 AM
my uncle in sask baits bears, the only way the bears don't eat his camera is by its lock box with sheet metal screws drilled through it from the inside out. The box looks like a porcupine but does the trick. The bears there will still wreak his cams in a lock box because they will eventually put a claw or tooth through the box if its not "spiked out".

hunter1947
07-29-2013, 05:48 AM
I would say a bear took it and if you look hard enough you might find it ??.

Spy
07-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Maybe Sasquatch took it you are in the right area.

DLP
07-29-2013, 01:52 PM
IM THINKING an elk rubbed it off tree then a bear grabbed it and moved it. man there must be some good photos on there. will have to go back some other time to look, its just such a big effort to get to...need to find one with a tracking device.

Ron.C
07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
This guy was kind enough to relocate my camera for me. Apparently he didn't like his picture being taken. Found the camera about 40m from the tree I hung it in, nicely chewed up.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/beartc.jpg

Bobfl
07-29-2013, 07:14 PM
You should always wipe it down after it is hung, Your scent is all over it, bears will destroy them. Do a fifty meter sweep and you should find it chewed up. They usually only drag them a few yards before they chew them up. The card may still be retreavable

One Shot
07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
i am thinking this is not stolen but rather destroyed and taken away by some animal. i prefer this scenario.

i planted my bushnell 5mp camera in a very tough to reach spot with no signs of human life the three times i have made the effort to get there. it requires rafting the river, crossing first the main river then a sizable side channel. bushwacking to an animal trail 300 Meters in bush. so i planted it 2months ago after finding tons of elk and deer track. i put it around a clean tree facing a clearing with lots of bed down sign. so i went yesterday and camera was gone. the tree was heavily rubbed out. could an elk have broken it off then dragged it away?

this is near mile 28 of the squamish river. if it was stolen i curse whoever is so desparate they need to steal someone elses hard placed camera.

I know the area you talk of. I do not belive it was human but most likely the Elk or Deer that made the rub, even possibly possibly bear after it was rubbed off. If I find it I will return it to you.

hunter1947
07-30-2013, 03:54 AM
I am headed in to check my trail cams this Friday for 4 days hope all my trail cams are still hanging..